Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perspective
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:05 am 

As we have, as all fans do, rode the waves of the year so far....the peaks of games like tonight to the lows of being shut out by some guy that would get pounded in my softball league....I think it is important to keep some perspective about what the goal is.

These young guys are going to play like this most of the year. Maybe by August-September you will have a little better idea of what they are capable of....consistency comes with experience and you get experience by getting experience. Unfortunately, we likely won't get a chance to judge this group that way because the line-up is going to change in a few weeks.

So that's why it is important to me to try to keep the perspective of the big picture. Are we building toward anything? Is this management group a better judge of talent than the last couple regimes? Will the ownership continue to build from the bottom up by committing to the draft and the other sources, like the Dominican? Will they lock up the best players through and maybe past the arbitration years in order to have something sustainable? Those are the only real questions that need answered in my mind. You can argue until you are blue in the face, but we really won't know for another year or two.

In the meantime, ride the high times like tonight 'cause there is another low coming and keep the overall perspective....don't forget, most of our expectations for this team to start the year was somewhere around 75 wins at best and over 100 losses at worst and right now we are on pace for 73 wins....right about where we thought we would be.

Post subject: Re: Perspective
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:15 am 

bradf wrote:
As we have, as all fans do, rode the waves of the year so far....the peaks of games like tonight to the lows of being shut out by some guy that would get pounded in my softball league....I think it is important to keep some perspective about what the goal is.

In the meantime, ride the high times like tonight 'cause there is another low coming and keep the overall perspective....don't forget, most of our expectations for this team to start the year was somewhere around 75 wins at best and over 100 losses at worst and right now we are on pace for 73 wins....right about where we thought we would be.

I agree with your post and it's pretty much exactly how I feel. I am hopeful that this group can/will continue to do the right things. I never thought that was possible w/ Dave L. Thur jury is out IMO and we won't know for 2-3 years although many of us here would like to know sooner.