Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veal really injured?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:06 pm 

Can't believe this guy got injured while making his first appearance in 3 weeks.

I really can't believe the team won't offer him back to cub's(really think they would take him?).

Anyway's i think this is a good move, they could keep him on the dl for the rest of the season, if they wanted to, i imagine.

Now the question is, who get's brought up?.
If Yates is not ready yet(which i hope he is not), i would like to see 1 of those 2 guys they just acquired from the Yankees get the nod.
I think Veal will be on the DL for a long, long, time.
No rush to brink him back.

According to the article, the team says next year, after his rule 5 probation is over, they want to revert him back to a STARTER.
I don't know what they see in this guy besides being left handed and throwing the ball all over the place, but he is no way going to make it in the big's as a starter.
On some pitches, he just seems to have no idea where it is going to go.
That called K on Berkman the other night was a gift.
It must have happened then,(the groin yank), he was in such shock he actually got a K 3 called, he popped a chubby.

Post subject: Re: Veal really injured?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:47 pm 

palushock wrote:
Can't believe this guy got injured while making his first appearance in 3 weeks.

I really can't believe the team won't offer him back to cub's(really think they would take him?).

Anyway's i think this is a good move, they could keep him on the dl for the rest of the season, if they wanted to, i imagine.

Now the question is, who get's brought up?.
If Yates is not ready yet(which i hope he is not), i would like to see 1 of those 2 guys they just acquired from the Yankees get the nod.
I think Veal will be on the DL for a long, long, time.
No rush to brink him back.

According to the article, the team says next year, after his rule 5 probation is over, they want to revert him back to a STARTER.
I don't know what they see in this guy besides being left handed and throwing the ball all over the place, but he is no way going to make it in the big's as a starter.
On some pitches, he just seems to have no idea where it is going to go.
That called K on Berkman the other night was a gift.
It must have happened then,(the groin yank), he was in such shock he actually got a K 3 called, he popped a chubby.

The Cubs would take him back in a second.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Meek couldn't throw a strike to save his life last year. This year he is much improved and looks to be a decent pick up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:03 am 

Well i said this would happen sooner or later. Doesn't the players union realize that when these players start doing bad they get put on the DL.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:10 pm 

I read somewhere that they are limited to placing him on the DL for 30 days in a season with his Rule 5 player status.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:22 pm 

rwjcgc wrote:
I read somewhere that they are limited to placing him on the DL for 30 days in a season with his Rule 5 player status.

Its a 30 day rehab assignment...

Quote:
Veal, the Pirates' sparingly used Rule 5 draft pick, was hurt during his two-inning appearance Friday, Huntington said, when he stepped repeatedly into a rut in the mound caused by Houston starter Brian Moehler's heavy landings with his front foot. The athletic trainers advised 7-10 days of rest for Veal, so the Pirates took advantage of what Huntington described as "admittedly an aggressive placement on the DL" with a hope of getting him more work during his rehabilitation.

"In a strange way, this injury could actually help Donnie," Huntington said.

Under Rule 5, the Pirates cannot keep Veal on a rehabilitation assignment list longer than 30 days.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09152/97 ... HDgZTeQI&B

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09152/974129-63.stm

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:33 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Well i said this would happen sooner or later. Doesn't the players union realize that when these players start doing bad they get put on the DL.

Why would the Player's Union care? He gets paid a major league salary while on the DL, and so does the guy that gets called up from AAA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:26 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Why would the Player's Union care? He gets paid a major league salary while on the DL, and so does the guy that gets called up from AAA.

I don't believe half the guys are hurt that have been placed on the DL this year. From the Pirates with Hanson and Veal, to the Yankees with Wang, to the Mets with Oliver Perez. It's all over baseball this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:32 am 

Colin21 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I don't believe half the guys are hurt that have been placed on the DL this year. From the Pirates with Hanson and Veal, to the Yankees with Wang, to the Mets with Oliver Perez. It's all over baseball this year.

I guess all those doctors are lying to Hanson then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:29 am 

Colin21 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Hansen is shut down from even throwing a ball for atleast 4 weeks because of his neck and back issues...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:37 pm 

Quote:
Hansen is shut down from even throwing a ball for atleast 4 weeks because of his neck and back issues...

Okay i got Hanson wrong, but you have to admit Wang and Perez are not hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:54 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

Craig Hansen spells his last name with an "e", not an "o". I only make this point because there is at least one other player that spells his name with an "o": Tommy Hanson of the Atlanta Braves. So please, get the correct spelling on the last name; otherwise it's confusing. For a minute I thought that Tommy Hanson got injured.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:58 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

Craig Hansen spells his last name with an "e", not an "o". I only make this point because there is at least one other player that spells his name with an "o": Tommy Hanson of the Atlanta Braves. So please, get the correct spelling on the last name; otherwise it's confusing. For a minute I thought that Tommy Hanson got injured.

Sorry about that. I didn't realize it was an e. I was spelling Ramón Vázquez' name Vasquez for the longest time and nobody pointed it out. Thanks for pointing that out for me.