Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirate Announcers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:11 pm 

rks wrote:
Just curious -- which announcers do you all prefer?

I'd say Lanny >> Greg
Walk > Wehner >> Steve

I generally find all of them listenable, though. Thoughts?

I detest Greg Brown.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 pm 

I think all of them are pretty good. My prefernce is

Play by Play
1. Greg
2. Lanny

Color
1. Walk
2. Blass
3. Wehner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:03 pm 

Interesting. To clarify my original post, it's Lanny > Greg for PBP, and Walk > Wehner > Steve for color.

Two things in general surprise me so far:

#1. I'm a bit surprised how many people are irritated by Wehner's "speech issues". I think the guy is knowledgeable and effective. I mean, the much-loved Myron Cope's voice was more grating, IMO (and Myron was great!).

#2. The lack of any real consensus, except maybe that Walk is very good. I thought it'd be much more pro-Lanny and anti-Greg, but it's been mixed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:05 pm 

i am going to throw my vote towards lanny for pbp and walkie and blass tie for color, i really enjoy blass's stories, which you get to hear quite alot of when the pirates are down, and i think i just like the way walk thinks and explains his points.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 pm 

I like Steve and Bob best but can not for the life of me distinguish their voices from one another.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:57 pm 

Like 'em all as well, though I'm probably prone to the radio guys since that's how I get most of the games these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:14 pm 

They're all pretty good...but yes, Greg Brown can get annoying, "Raise the Jolly Roger" or how he adds flair to some players name pronounciations...

It used to annoy me when he'd pronounce Esteban Loaiza...Staybon Loaiza

Just call the dude's name the way everyone else does and get it over with

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 pm 

I like Lanny, Bob, and Steve... the rest can get lost. Wehner drives me nuts with his explainations. Dude, the only people watching baseball are knowledgeable ex-players or coaches or baseball fanatics. I understand the infield fly rule, no need to have a 3 inning dissertation.

Greg Brown says some awkward things sometimes and there is like some lengthy silence, has anyone ever noticed that? And is there a rift between Lanny and Bob? Or Greg and Bob? Sometimes I think there is.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:58 am 

I like all of them but Greg is my favorite. He makes listening to a game very exciting. Why do you guys not like him?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:08 am 

Zane41 wrote:
I like all of them but Greg is my favorite. He makes listening to a game very exciting. Why do you guys not like him?

Some think his game calling is contrived and phony. Plus, his John Sterling-esque homerun calls get rather tiresome. (I really hope he's dropped the whole "Bay Day!" thing.)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:46 am 

Add me to the list of folks who aren't Greg Brown fans. He gets on my nerves. Is it a coincidence that the Bucs have never had a winning season as long as he has been announcing (1994 was his first season)?

As for the other three, Lanny is a decent announcer and has a good baseball voice. Blass is very "folksy" and is pleasant to listen to. Bob Walk is my favorite because he brings a lot to the booth and doesn't tote the company line as much as the other three.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:55 pm 
1. Lanny and Greg
2. Bob Walk
3. Steve Blass
4. Vacant
5. Vacant
6. Vacant
7. Wehner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:03 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Add me to the list of folks who aren't Greg Brown fans. He gets on my nerves. Is it a coincidence that the Bucs have never had a winning season as long as he has been announcing (1994 was his first season)?

As for the other three, Lanny is a decent announcer and has a good baseball voice. Blass is very "folksy" and is pleasant to listen to. Bob Walk is my favorite because he brings a lot to the booth and doesn't tote the company line as much as the other three.

I admit that Brown can get overly excited sometimes. But other times, that can add some life to a bad game (especially if you're listening on the radio). Overall though, I think the Pirates' entire team of announcers is good. We should be proud.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:59 pm 

I love Lanny. I also don't get the fans saying he toes the company line too much. He was actually "suspended" for a few games two years ago for being too negative. He's also a great guy. He holds a charity golf event to benefit the mentally challenged. He goes above and beyond that with his work with Family links.

I really enjoy Steve Blass. Listening to him reminds of watching a ballgame with my father or grandfather. The stories he tells about the 70s buccos are great, especially since I wasn't alive to really enjoy them.

As for the other three, they're buccos believers, so I like them, but not as much as the above two.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 pm 

I'd still much rather have seen Walk and Wehner in uniform coaching on the bench, but they are a big asset for baseball knowledge, because they weren't stars and to achieve the success they did, they had to bust their butts to get there

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 pm 

Quote:
"One of America's Great Message Board Posters"

I haven't heard of this particular board. What's the address Elmer?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:40 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:

I admit that Brown can get overly excited sometimes. But other times, that can add some life to a bad game (especially if you're listening on the radio). Overall though, I think the Pirates' entire team of announcers is good. We should be proud.

I think you're correct that the announcers are pretty good overall. My problem with Brown is that he seems too contrived to me, like he's intentionally trying to be clever. Bob Prince's keynote calls always seemed to roll off of his tongue naturally. The same with Mike Lange when he was at the top of his game. I know that they actually did think those things up ahead of time, but they sounded as if they'd just thought of them right there in the booth. Brown comes off as the kind of guy who is smiling at you with his mouth, but not his eyes. It's all a matter of personal taste, of course, but that's my feeling on the matter.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:28 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
I think all of them are pretty good. My preference is

Play by Play
1. Greg
2. Lanny

Color
1. Walk
2. Blass
3. Wehner

I agree with those rankings. A big problem I have with Lanny is that if you had a sip of beer every time he said "uh," you'd be hammered by the end of the third inning.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:25 pm 

Love Lanny and Walk. Blass brings a touch of class, charm and nostalgia which baseball is all about. Wehner is OK. Brown is by far the worst. "Itsa Trip, Trip, Triple." Crap like that has got to go.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:08 pm 

Sisyphus wrote:
Quote:
I think you're correct that the announcers are pretty good overall. My problem with Brown is that he seems too contrived to me, like he's intentionally trying to be clever. Bob Prince's keynote calls always seemed to roll off of his tongue naturally. The same with Mike Lange when he was at the top of his game. I know that they actually did think those things up ahead of time, but they sounded as if they'd just thought of them right there in the booth. Brown comes off as the kind of guy who is smiling at you with his mouth, but not his eyes. It's all a matter of personal taste, of course, but that's my feeling on the matter.

Well put, I have this exact same feeling.