Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why aren't some announcers labled Homers, instead of color?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:27 pm 

Walk is such a rah rah guy, it just get's annoying after a while

Before every single pitch, he has to make a prediction on what the pitch should be, and what part of the plate it should cross.

Dude, if you are reading(Walk), just call the effin game, as the fan wants to hear it.

Don't address the players with your little nicknames(a trait Greg Brown seems to have mastered).

The cub's tv announcers seem to get it right, the announcer calls the play by play, and the color man(Brenly, i think) gives an accurate description of the action.

Sure they root for the home team to win, but they do give ample credit to the visitors, when it is warranted.
So either the guy besides the announcer is the color man, or the HOMER.
Bob Walk is a homer, Rob Dibble, he is the Pinnacle of HOMERS.
John Wehner is tolerable, but he is approaching that status.

Post subject: Re: why aren't some announcers labled Homers, instead of color?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:44 pm 

Blasphemy!! Blasphemy!! :o :o

Seriously, it's fun to me to watch 99.99% of Walk's predicitons come true. I think he is absolutely outstanding, and I have learned a lot about the game from listening to him. He's the kind of guy I'd just like to grab a couple of cold ones and sit and watch a game with. In a very heterosexual kind of way...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm 

I like Walk and Wehner. Don't like Brown and the new guy, what's his name....EVERY fly ball within 50' of the warning track, and on the wrong side to boot, is announced as if it has a chance to carry 550'.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:03 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I like Walk and Wehner. Don't like Brown and the new guy, what's his name....EVERY fly ball within 50' of the warning track, and on the wrong side to boot, is announced as if it has a chance to carry 550'.

EVERY. SINGLE. BALL. IN. THE. AIR. is called as if it is a homerun.

I forget which game it was or which Pirate was up, but the call was "This ball is driven deep to center field. The second baseman drifts out and makes the catch". Huh????

And its not just that, but he calls foul balls as homeruns too. Yesterday it was "This ball is lifted to right field, it will be a long run for Brandon Moss. And, it lands 10 rows deep along the 1b line". Ya think that's a long run?

But by far, my biggest pet peeve is NOT GIVING THE SCORE. I hated when Lanny did (or didn't) do it, and this guy is even worse. He goes entire half innings without telling you what the score is. If I am listening at work, I can't sit by the radio all day, sometimes I want to pop in and see what the score is. Or, if I have to take the missus out, I want to check the score (Uh, let me carry those bags out to the car for you, sweetheart), and can't sit there for 2 innings waiting to hear the score.

Jon Miller once wrote that someone told him to keep a 3 minute egg timer in the booth. Every time the sand runs out through the hour glass, give the score, and turn it over again. I think that's a great idea.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:11 pm 

BBF wrote:
Jon Miller once wrote that someone told him to keep a 3 minute egg timer in the booth. Every time the sand runs out through the hour glass, give the score, and turn it over again. I think that's a great idea.

With Wehner in the booth the sand is all chunky with spit and doesnt drain properly...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:16 pm 

I refuse to comment on this forum on the grounds that I might sound like sour grapes.. lol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:17 pm 

Aside from the fact that Wehner can't speak properly and has some of the worstest grammar ever he talks too darn much. He beats the dead horse over and over and over. I can't stand it. Make the point and move on.

The new guy blows. Someone needs to tell him when a lefty hits a foul ball to the third base side it SLICES foul. Every time he says the ball hooked foul. That is not a hook. Trust me, I'm a left handed golfer with the "occasional" slice. It's hard for me to believe he doesn't know the difference.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:19 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

We're Pitxburg fans, grammar is optional.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm 

Palu -
Everybody has their preferences and I'm about 180 degree opposite of you. I used to be a catcher in my previous life and, when watching games, find myself wanting to see a particular pitch in a particular location and absolutely love that portion of the game. So . . . when Walk discusses (from his absolutely superior position of having been in the trenches) what pitch should be thrown, where it should be thrown and why . . . I find that information invaluable. And, at least in my opinion, this is an aspect of the game that is typically lost on most fans. When Walk is mentioning this, I get the sense that he is doing it to educate watchers; not to be arrogant. There is a strategic side to the game that simply cannot be "seen" by the naked eye and - again in my opinion - it is Walk's job to describe that for the viewers.

I really like Walk but the best color commentator that I have ever listened to is Steve Stone. His knowledge of the game is absolutely staggering and his commentary is phenomenal. He, like Walk, calls pitches all the time. And, when he calls for a particular pitch at a particular time and the pitcher happens to throw that pitch, inevitably his prediction is dead-on correct.

I also don't find Walk to be the proverbial "homer." He doesn't "rubber stamp" every thing on the field done by the Bucs and, at times, he has expressed his frustration and dissatisfaction of the product on the field. That being said, if he offers commentary on why a decision may have been made and just because you (or someone else) don't agree with the decision doesn't make his commentary invalid or make him a "homer."

Just my $.02.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:32 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
He beats the dead horse over and over and over.

Parrot -
What's your point?

BTW, did anyone read with interest the apparent dispute between Snell and Diaz over pitch calling . . . . kidding folks, just kidding!!! :)

No. 9

Post subject: I Miss Lanny
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:33 pm 

I have no problem with "homers". After all, they are announcing for our team. But Greg Brown is nothing but a wannabe cheerleader. As many have mentioned, every fly ball sounds like a HR. Every HR sounds like it's winning the 7th game of the World Series. He is horrible.

While Walk and Wehner maybe not have the best grammar, they know the game. Who cares? Some of the best announcers of all time were horrible with their grammar.

I like Steve Blass because he IS Pirate Baseball. After all he has been through, he is stil quick with a joke, and still knows the game.

The new guy just seems to have a generic sound to me, but I am trying to get used to him!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:37 pm 

I think Walk is great, but he too can belabor a point.

I have noticed the same things about Neverett - he can't tell the difference between a routine fly ball and a home run. And he doesn't know the correct definitions of hook, slice, push, and pull. Must not be a golfer. He sounds good though.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Palu -
Everybody has their preferences and I'm about 180 degree opposite of you. I used to be a catcher in my previous life and, when watching games, find myself wanting to see a particular pitch in a particular location and absolutely love that portion of the game. So . . . when Walk discusses (from his absolutely superior position of having been in the trenches) what pitch should be thrown, where it should be thrown and why . . . I find that information invaluable. And, at least in my opinion, this is an aspect of the game that is typically lost on most fans. When Walk is mentioning this, I get the sense that he is doing it to educate watchers; not to be arrogant. There is a strategic side to the game that simply cannot be "seen" by the naked eye and - again in my opinion - it is Walk's job to describe that for the viewers.

I really like Walk but the best color commentator that I have ever listened to is Steve Stone. His knowledge of the game is absolutely staggering and his commentary is phenomenal. He, like Walk, calls pitches all the time. And, when he calls for a particular pitch at a particular time and the pitcher happens to throw that pitch, inevitably his prediction is dead-on correct.

I also don't find Walk to be the proverbial "homer." He doesn't "rubber stamp" every thing on the field done by the Bucs and, at times, he has expressed his frustration and dissatisfaction of the product on the field. That being said, if he offers commentary on why a decision may have been made and just because you (or someone else) don't agree with the decision doesn't make his commentary invalid or make him a "homer."

Just my $.02.

I agree, Walk can be good, at times, but check out a series of ab's next time, and count how many times he wants to predict the pitch for every batter.
I kind of like the sound, and overall game flow of Tim, i will have to pay more attention on the deep fly balls and slice/hook calls.
Greg Brown is a just a moron, who must have let out the GAYEST laugh of all time yesterday, by a baseball announcer.
I Wish he would knock it off with the pet names and other calls like trip trip triple.
I forgot about Steve Stone, i guess the White Sox tandem is different.
Ken Harellson is pretty good, except for those 2 trademark slogans he uses(i won't put you through the torture of naming them(.
Those 2 guys seem to give the other team credit, when credit is due, which i appreciate, seeing the Pirates are usually on the short end of the compliments.

They have to be the best pair i have listened to calling the game vs Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:32 pm 

1. Greg Brown is a pro. He also announced for the Houston Oilers, a long time ago.
Brown calls a good game, and keeps the pace moving well.

2. Bob Walk's job is to spin. He does that very well. Even when Walk is criticizing, he is spinning. His job is to make sure that the viewer and the listener realize that this game they are watching is interesting even though the viewer also realizes they are watching a perennial doormat.

3. Nobody, and I mean NObody, spins like Kent Tekulve. The ultimate excuse maker.

4. Neverett has the classic sound, and does a good solid job.

5. Steve Blass is just a great guy, period.

6. I like Wehner. Good guy, thinks things through, and keeps it simple most of the time.
Wish that he would tell it more like it is, but when you work for Bob Nutting, that's just not allowed.

7. Lanny was terrific. I miss him still.

8. I also loved Milo Hamilton when he was here. When Goose Gossage took the hill, and Milo was calling the strikeouts at Three Rivers, against people like Greg Luzinski, and Ron Cey, and Ted Simmons, it was classic.

9. Joe Bucks' father, was one of the greatest of all time.

10. I also liked Vin Scully and Ross Porter of the Dodgers.(Ross was let go two years ago.)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:43 pm 

[quote="Rod Serling"]1. Greg Brown is a pro. He also announced for the Houston Oilers, a long time ago.

BETTER CHECK YOUR FACTS!

Greg Brown was NEVER the announcer for the Oilers. He went from an intern with the Pirates to being the "back up" Pirate Parrot, back in '79 when the Parrot was introduced, then went on to doing some work as the Pirates PA Announcer...then he spent five years as the Play by Play guy for the AAA Buffalo Bisons. He also spent a year as Color Commentator for the Buffalo Bills radio broadcasts before being hired by the Bucs.

And, despite all that, he is still so fake, and nothing more than an overgrown cheerleader.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:00 pm 

Animal wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
1. Greg Brown is a pro. He also announced for the Houston Oilers, a long time ago.

BETTER CHECK YOUR FACTS!

Greg Brown was NEVER the announcer for the Oilers. He went from an intern with the Pirates to being the "back up" Pirate Parrot, back in '79 when the Parrot was introduced, then went on to doing some work as the Pirates PA Announcer...then he spent five years as the Play by Play guy for the AAA Buffalo Bisons. He also spent a year as Color Commentator for the Buffalo Bills radio broadcasts before being hired by the Bucs.

And, despite all that, he is still so fake, and nothing more than an overgrown cheerleader.

My error. Greg Brown was an announcer for the Buffalo Bills. I mistakenly thought of his call of the comeback game vs. the Oilers which he called.

Funnier than that, is your sorry ass going over my entire post looking for any tiny whole to criticize. :lol:

Lame. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:25 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Animal wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

BETTER CHECK YOUR FACTS!

My error. Greg Brown was an announcer for the Buffalo Bills. I mistakenly thought of his call of the comeback game vs. the Oilers which he called.

Funnier than that, is your sorry ass going over my entire post looking for any tiny whole to criticize. :lol:

Lame. :lol:

Nothing funny about it, and no effort required. Like much of what you say, your very first point was WRONG. If that WERE my intent, I could have quit after that first point. Oh, and since you are so paranoid about it, I would have been looking for a tiny "HOLE", not whole!

lol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 pm 

palushock wrote:
I agree, Walk can be good, at times, but check out a series of ab's next time, and count how many times he wants to predict the pitch for every batter.

Different strokes for different folks. That is one of Walk's traits (and Steve Stone) that I truly enjoy. To take things a step further, I wish more broadcasts would show the catcher's signs so that viewers would know what pitch was coming.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:10 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
2. Bob Walk's job is to spin. He does that very well. Even when Walk is criticizing, he is spinning.

Your definition of "spin" must be: "Anything with which I disagree."

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:41 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
2. Bob Walk's job is to spin. He does that very well. Even when Walk is criticizing, he is spinning.

Your definition of "spin" must be: "Anything with which I disagree."

That is also similar to his definition of "apologist."