Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lincoln's Effort Assassinated Lastnight
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:23 pm 

Lincoln threw 6 scoreless innings lastnight, but the Curve lost 7-3 to Bowie...He was hitting 94 and 95 on occasion, striking out 5 and walking 1...

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=727

Quote:
But not even Lincoln's six dominant, shutout innings were enough to end the losing ways. Poor relief pitching and lifeless at-bats after the first inning doomed Altoona in a 7-3 loss to Bowie before a school kids' day crowd of 5,054 at Blair County Ballpark.

"He continues to improve, and today I thought he had command of all three of his pitches," Curve manager Matt Walbeck said of Lincoln.

If there's any consolation to being 17 games below .500, it's the appreciation that comes with having an arm like Lincoln's to lean on. He followed his complete game, two-hit shutout at Bowie last Thursday with another gem, extending his streak of consecutive scoreless innings to 19 1/3 and lowering his ERA to 2.05.

In his next start, Lincoln will have the chance to top the club record of 23 straight scoreless innings, set by Franklin Perez in 2006.

Quote:
Lincoln, who turned 24 on Monday, said he the workload has led to no arm problems. That's great news for him and the Pirates as he is just two years removed from Tommy John surgery.

"I've always been the type of guy that I can go out and throw 25 pitches or I can go out and throw 100 pitches and my arm will feel the same the day after," he said.

Treanor said Lincoln's ball movement in the early innings was a sign of his versatility, as the starter could only rely on blowing by hitters for so long.

"That's one of the things that you have to do in professional baseball is learn how to pitch," Treanor said. "He's got three quality pitches, and he's now using all three of them and that's what he's had to do."

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Lincoln's Effort Assassinated Lastnight
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:09 pm 

How long before you promote him to Indy?

I think I read the Pirates want him to stay at Altoona to work on his changeup.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:11 pm 

Because of the Tommy John surgery not being that long ago, I think they will be real cautious with him in terms of advancement. Maybe a late season call to Indy this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:17 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I love the title nad...

Other than the hitting and bullpen, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln!?

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:18 pm 

Thanks ZM...

I'm sure Curveradio has the answer, does anyone know what pitches he throws?...The article said hes got 3 quality pitches he throws

I'm curious if the change up is a fourth pitch he's working on, or if its one of the 3 quality he throws?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:57 pm 

Throws a fastball that sits in the low 90's and tops out at about 96. Has a hammer curve ball that he can throw for a strike anytime he wants to. Both pitches are plus pitches and Brad uses every part of the strike zone. His change is average, but getting better.

He has a legit shot at being a number two caliber starter in the show..possibly an ace if his change becomes a plus pitch.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 pm 

Thanks curve. Is it tough doing games when your team is losing so much?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:01 pm 

Thanks curveradio...

Looks like the bullpen is a mess...

Are there any guys down in Altoona that have exceeded your expectations this season?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:08 pm 

It is what it is.. the team started off bad and really hasn't gotten it together. Hopefully the win today will be the start of a turn around.

As far as the bullpen being a disaster, they were really good in the first month and change but were completely overworked and now we are seeing a bullpen that has run out of gas. Plus they have five guys on the DL, four of which are pitchers.

I don't let the losses effect my work. I'm not a homer in any way, shape or form. I call the game down the middle..hoping on the inside that the Curve win..

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:09 pm 

curveradio wrote:
Throws a fastball that sits in the low 90's and tops out at about 96. Has a hammer curve ball that he can throw for a strike anytime he wants to. Both pitches are plus pitches and Brad uses every part of the strike zone. His change is average, but getting better.

He has a legit shot at being a number two caliber starter in the show..possibly an ace if his change becomes a plus pitch.

Wow, thank you for that report.