Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spending a week in Pittsburgh...
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 am 

Howdy from Texas, ya’ll… ok I don’t really talk like that, but as a Texan I feel obligated to perpetuate stereotypes. Anyways, I’ll be in Pittsburgh all next week for work and I since I really have nothing else going on in the evenings I might as well catch one of the Pittsburgh/Mets games. I guess the reason I am here is to try to get some tips on scoring some cheap tickets and what local grub and beer I should try. Thanks and Gig’em.

Post subject: Re: Spending a week in Pittsburgh...
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:49 am 

I suspect that the locals will provide you with some very good pointers.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:50 am 

Would they want to provide me with a beating if I wore my Rangers jersey out there? Not real sure how rabid their fan base is...

in case you wanted to know, my brethren in Texas think very highly of your stadium
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1421384&forum_id=53

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:03 am 

Tex wrote:
Would they want to provide me with a beating if I wore my Rangers jersey out there? Not real sure how rabid their fan base is...

in case you wanted to know, my brethren in Texas think very highly of your stadium
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1421384&forum_id=53

Nope its not like the Steelers games. The Pirate crowd is much calmer.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:58 am 

Cmon down to the game. There will be plenty of good seats available, since only about five thousand people go to the games. So you'll get a great seat with no problems at all.
During the game, you will see all sorts of distractions, sideshows, great food, fantastic view of the river, pierogie races, you know, just like an amusement park. You see, here in Pittsburgh, our owner has built a beautiful carnavil to distract people from the record setting loser product he throws on the field every year. That way, he can average about five grand per game from good folks who want to take their kids to a nice amusement park, pick up some cute bobbleheads, maybe catch some fireworks after the game, or a good classic rock concert. Fun for everyone, and it doesn't matter who wins the game, just like good old Bob likes it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:08 am 

Rod Serling wrote:
Cmon down to the game. There will be plenty of good seats available, since only about five thousand people go to the games. So you'll get a great seat with no problems at all.
During the game, you will see all sorts of distractions, sideshows, great food, fantastic view of the river, pierogie races, you know, just like an amusement park. You see, here in Pittsburgh, our owner has built a beautiful carnavil to distract people from the record setting loser product he throws on the field every year. That way, he can average about five grand per game from good folks who want to take their kids to a nice amusement park, pick up some cute bobbleheads, maybe catch some fireworks after the game, or a good classic rock concert. Fun for everyone, and it doesn't matter who wins the game, just like good old Bob likes it.

I tend to disagree with you alot Rod, but this seems to make sense to me. I attended the Pirates and Yankees series last year. The one game was rained out. It took them over 3 hours to call it even though the players had already left for the night. As long as there are people at the concession stands during a rain delay they act like the game is going to continue, but everybody there knew it wasn't. I don't think Nutting is to blame for everything because he hasn't been the owner long enough, but it is run very shady and they want you to think its good ole family fun. $52 for a hot dog and $36 for a cup of ice with alittle bit of whatever you want to drink in there with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Tex-

Where are you staying?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:02 am 

No idea really... The boss told me they were putting us up in a hotel and getting us a rental car so I didnt ask any questions.

Are there any coupon codes or discounted tickets for next week? I know the Rangers have half price tickets all this month and ten dollar tickets on Friday nights.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:32 am 

Tex - I'm originally from Pittsburgh but no longer live there, however I used to travel there a lot on business and go to games a lot. You should note that the Pens are in the Stanley cup so a lot should be going on next week. There is a place to view the games outside in the city which might be cool. I have never done it.

Cheap Tickets - Tix aren't a problem especially if the Pens are playing. I think the Bucs are the cheapest (or one of) in baseball. Years of losing will do that. I have bought tix at the gate and on the street for face. If you can, get a good one since it probably is about $30.

Eats:
- Primanti Bros (http://www.primantibros.com/) is a Pittsburgh staple. You'll find a few downtown or scattered around the burbs. It's cheap, think sandwiches and fries in one, and iron city.
- Fatheads is a really good place to watch a game. They have sandwiches as big as Texas, and they are good. It's in the near North (close to downtown). Locals will know. That area is cool in general there so you can have coffee or drinks and checkout the locals. I think it would be packed during a Pens game.
Finally - if you are staying until Saturday you should go to the outdoor market in the Strip District. It's really great. You'll find a lot of Italian specialties, sausages, pepperoni bread, coffee, drinks, and foods from some of the best Italian specialty stores (meat, cheese,etc) in the country.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:46 am 

Beer and grub? Hmmmmmm.........

No particular order:
1) Sharp Edge in Friendship. Fantastic selection of top of the line imports (loads of Belgiums)
http://sharpedgebeer.com/location.htm

2) Church Brew Works. Great location and great homebrew
http://www.churchbrewworks.com/

3) Penn Brewery. German food and home brewery
http://www.pennbrew.com/

4) Fatheads is cool. Pub crawling along Carson St. is a Pittsburgh tradition
http://www.fatheads.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:57 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:

Tex -
Hey . . . I really don't want to damper any enthusiasm that Rod's post may have generated but feel that - since you are making the trip - you might want some more information. You might see some fireworks but the Bucs only have 7 scheduled shows compared to the 12 that are planned at The Ballpark in Arlington. So . . . your chances of seeing fireworks after the game are actually better if you remain in Texas. You might see a concert as well. But . . . again . . . your chances are better in Texas since they've scheduled 8 concerts this year. The Bucs only have 5 scheduled. Just thought that you might want to have this information available to you.

Also, you missed Nate McClouth bobblehead night. That was May 16th. Hopefully, you were at The Ballpark at Arlington on that same night and received the Josh Hamilton bobblehead that was given away.

Enjoy the park. It is beautiful. The food is good. The people are friendly. And, despite some suggestions otherwise, you've got a good chance to see the Bucs win. They have a winning record at home this year and have played entertaining baseball at PNC. They have a good starting pitching staff (on most nights) and their infield defense is fun to watch. Some of their younger players who may form the foundation for the team for years to come have started hitting the ball over the last 30 days. They may not be a World Series team or a playoff team but they play an enjoyable brand of baseball on most nights. Prices of tickets are reasonable and you get a decent bang out of your entertainment buck.

Have fun and post your thoughts afterwards.

Last edited by No. 9 on Fri May 29, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 pm 

Tex -
If you really want a bobblehead from a NL Central team, you could plan a trip to the following ballparks:

Miller Park: the Brewers still have 4 scheduled bobblehead nights (Kendall, Suppan, some sausage and Melvin)
Minute Maid Park: the Astros still have 2 scheduled bobblehead nights (Oswalt and Valverde); you missed Carlos Lee (they also have 13 fireworks nights left)
Wrigley Field: the Cubs still have 3 scheduled bobblehead give aways (Sandberg, Williams and Jenkins); you missed Ernie Banks
Great American Ballpark: the Reds still have 3 scheduled bobblehead nights (Bruce, Volquez and Phillips); you missed Joey Votto
Busch Stadium: the Cardinals still have Adam Wainwright bobblehead giveaway scheduled

Unfortunately, looks like you've got a better chance of getting a bobblehead from any of these teams than when you visit PNC. I hope that you are still able to have a good time.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:55 pm 

Tex,

(I note that your owner is trying to offload the Rangers to pay for his investment in British Soccer.)

Don't forget to take the incline up to Mount Washington, stroll along Grand Avenue and take in the breathtaking views of the city. Used to be some nice bars on Shiloh street. Come down on the other incline (either the Duqusne or Mon). Have a stroll round Station Square, then take the Clipper ferry across to PNC park for the game.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Don't forget to take the incline up to Mount Washington, stroll along Grand Avenue and take in the breathtaking views of the city. Used to be some nice bars on Shiloh street. Come down on the other incline (either the Duqusne or Mon). Have a stroll round Station Square, then take the Clipper ferry across to PNC park for the game.

Top shelf advice!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Some of my favorite places to eat around town...

1. Fat Heads on Carson St. - I think everyone has covered the basics with this place. It's amazing.
2. South Side Steaks on Carson St. - The closest thing you can get to a genuine Philly Cheese Steak without being in South Philly. A great place in my opinion
3. Max & Erma's in Downtown - I'd suggest the tray of fresh baked choclate chip cookies.
4. Primanti's - There's one at PNC, one in the Strip District, and one in Market Square. Not my favorite place to eat, but it's kind of like riding through a Small World at Disney...if you're there you have to do it.
5. Pizza Milano on either 5th of Penn Ave. It's near Mellon Arena, so if you want to go check out the Pens game on Tuesday or Thursday on the big screen outside, this is a great place to go before the game (also try Souper Bowl).
6. Soho across from PNC Park - decent food, slower service

As for tickets, you should have no problems getting tickets. My only suggestion is that you avoid seating around sections 137-138. You have a bit of an obstructed view of deep center, often missing some great catches at the wall. There is a pretty large All You Can Eat section for $40/seat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:18 pm 

Going to the game tonight... Luckily we got club level seats from our company, whoop! I'll be wearing a josh hamilton jersey and a cowboy hat, say hi if yall see me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hopefully you'll get to use those tickets tomorrow.