Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inconsistent
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:27 pm 

The downfall of this 2009 Pirate team will be the inconsistent offense in the middle of the lineup. Not being able to drive in the runs when it counts.
The top of the order is doing a good job of getting on base. The "so-called RBI men" in the middle of the order are just too inconsistent to provide the offense game to game to keep this team competitive.

Time to bring up a spark from AAA or down to the depths below this Pirate ship will sink again.

Post subject: Re: Inconsistent
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 pm 

Inconsistency goes with the territory, bassoon. Clemente hit .255 his first year, I think. Bonds hit .224. What makes you think McCutcheon or Walker (my presumed candidates) won't be inconsistent? We have to find out and sort out what we have between Moss, L'il LaRoche, Cutch and Walker. Why start another ML clock ticking?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:37 pm 

bradf wrote:
Inconsistency goes with the territory, bassoon. Clemente hit .255 his first year, I think. Bonds hit .224. What makes you think McCutcheon or Walker (my presumed candidates) won't be inconsistent? We have to find out and sort out what we have between Moss, L'il LaRoche, Cutch and Walker. Why start another ML clock ticking?

You're right bradf. I was just opining on the current status of the 2009 Pirate ship. I just feel the team needs an offensive spark in the middle of the lineup. I guess we'll have to take our lumps once again to see what this current group of players can do or not do on offense and defense.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:41 pm 

I agree it won't be pleasant at times...that's why they call them growing pains.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I just feel the team needs an offensive spark in the middle of the lineup.

You'll get no argument from me there. But I don't think anyone at Indy is a middle of the lineup guy anyways. McCutchen looks to be a leadoff/top of the order guy, Walker looks to be a bench player if he is only going to hit .240, and, well, that's about it for prospects. Pearce?

Every time I look at our upper farm system, I once again hope that Dave Littlefield is getting kicked in the crotch with a steel-toed boot coated with gonnorhea.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:53 pm 

Let's see you find an animation for that, bassoon!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:24 pm 

BBF wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

You'll get no argument from me there. But I don't think anyone at Indy is a middle of the lineup guy anyways. McCutchen looks to be a leadoff/top of the order guy, Walker looks to be a bench player if he is only going to hit .240, and, well, that's about it for prospects. Pearce?

Every time I look at our upper farm system, I once again hope that Dave Littlefield is getting kicked in the crotch with a steel-toed boot coated with gonnorhea.

Who hired Dave Littlefield?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:25 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
BBF wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Who hired Dave Littlefield?

Kevin McClatchey

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:32 pm 

[

Kevin McClatchey[/quote]

Who runs this team right now?

Who is the owner of this losing franchise?

Who spends the third lowest of any franchise?

Who called his management "The best management team in baseball", which by the way is a running joke in the Pittsburgh Sports Media, and no, that does not count that fat
geek who licks Nuttings Nu##sak in Beaver County, and about four people read his apologist column (including Wilton).

Who traded Jason Bay for Minor league quality players at power hitting positions who are both dead last in home runs for their position?

Bob Nutting, that's who. And he must be forced to sell his franchise to an owner who will work to put a winning product on the field, rather than steal from the fans of the great city of Pittsburgh.

That's PITTSBURGH,

NOT WHEELING.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:03 pm 

bradf wrote:
Let's see you find an animation for that, bassoon!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:41 pm 

bradf wrote:

Because when I think Andy LaRoche and Brandon Moss,

I instantly think Barry Bonds and Roberto Clemente.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite possibly the most hilarious apologist joke of a post of all time.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot stop laughing... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:23 am 

Rod:

Andy Laroche is a top prospect and very highly thought of as a 3B'man. He is now one of the team's best hitters, and will be so for years.

Brandon Moss was not a top prospect or top player in the deal. He was a left-handed hitter with some power. Nothing more.

Bryan Morris and Craig Hansen are power arms. Injuries have slowed their contributions, but they will be throwing for the Buccos for several years.

Finally, being critical of what the Pirates received in exchange is worthwhile if in fact you have information that Laroche, Morris and Hansen were not valued, or not highly ranked. You have offered no such evidence. In fact, the Dodgers were reluctant to deal Laroche and Morris (as their part of the deal) to get Ramirez, because they viewed that as giving up a lot ... too much, in fact. One writer offered this assessment of the trade:

"Could you argue that the Red Sox gave up a little too much to get rid of one of the best hitters in the game? Maybe. Could you argue that giving up your best prospect for a two-month rental is too much? Sure. But in the end, all three teams addressed their needs. The Pirates’ season is pretty much over, and they have continued to add quality prospects. The Dodgers got a big bat in the middle of their lineup to give themselves a boost. And the Red Sox got rid of a migraine named Manny Ramirez."

http://baseballevolution.com/tony/manramtrade.html

Andy Laroche was rated as one of the top 75 prospects in baseball every year between 2004 and 2008. He was ranked as the 19th best prospect in the majors in both 2006 and 2007.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... oche.shtml

Finally, your harsh criticism for trading a known commodity - Bay - for young players who are on the upswing is ironic, since that is how the Pirates obtained Bay. If we employed your strategy, we would have a seriously below-average Giles in the OF, hitting below .200 with 1 HR and no offense and one of the worst outfield arms I have seen this side of Lee Mazzilli.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Finally, your harsh criticism for trading a known commodity - Bay - for young players who are on the upswing is ironic, since that is how the Pirates obtained Bay. If we employed your strategy, we would have a seriously below-average Giles in the OF, hitting below .200 with 1 HR and no offense and one of the worst outfield arms I have seen this side of Lee Mazzilli.

Great point, Bucfan!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:40 am 

Neither LaRoche nor Moss are anywhere near major league level with respects to power numbers and home runs for their positions.

Even Bob Walk himself, who is hired to spin, admitted that you need far better power numbers for a third base corner player and right fielder.

Their home run totals are pathetic.

The other players are in the minor leagues, so they don't count., because the last time I checked, players in Indianapolis and Altoona do not count their wins in the Pittsburgh column.

Jason Bay is a perennial all star.

Bob Nutting dumped his salary. Period.

If they are not helping the Pittsburgh Pirates win baseball games, then they are not quality prospects, period. It is about winning and losing. I know that sucks, and I know you hate it, but it's true, and I am right, and you cannot argue that and win, because the wins and losses prove me right.

When a player reaches his full development, Bob Nutting trades him away for lesser players with lesser salaries. The team continues losing, and he continues making money.

None of this is up for debate. It's a fact.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:48 am 

Quote:
It is about winning and losing.

Or - in your case - wingeing and booing.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:14 am 

Bertie wrote:
Quote:
It is about winning and losing.

Or - in your case - wingeing and booing.

In your case it's about stalking. What is it dude? You have a crush on me?

You only come out after I post, never seen one thread of yours that doesn't come right after me.

Seek help.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:14 am 

Rod Serling wrote:
Neither LaRoche nor Moss are anywhere near major league level with respects to power numbers and home runs for their positions.

So is the 2009 champion to be named on Friday? Or are there some more games this year? I am confused. I thought that the team had another 120 games to play.

Rod Serling wrote:
If they are not helping the Pittsburgh Pirates win baseball games, then they are not quality prospects, period. It is about winning and losing.

This statement is simply absurd and makes me wonder if you are serious. David Littlefield and Cam Bonifay had exactly this approach (see, "major league ready" Ty Wigginton). How did that work out?

Meanwhile, Huntington acquires players with infinitely more long-term potential (Alvarez, Laroche, Tabata, Morris, Hansen, Ohlendorf) than the major-league ready crap that Pirates fans came to expect under prior front office decision makers.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:21 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

So is the 2009 champion to be named on Friday? Or are there some more games this year? I am confused. I thought that the team had another 120 games to play.

Rod Serling wrote:
If they are not helping the Pittsburgh Pirates win baseball games, then they are not quality prospects, period. It is about winning and losing.

This statement is simply absurd and makes me wonder if you are serious. David Littlefield and Cam Bonifay had exactly this approach (see, "major league ready" Ty Wigginton). How did that work out?

Meanwhile, Huntington acquires players with infinitely more long-term potential (Alvarez, Laroche, Tabata, Morris, Hansen, Ohlendorf) than the major-league ready crap that Pirates fans came to expect under prior front office decision makers.

Give it up bucfan. "There is no debate." It doesn't matter what reasonable points you make. "There is no debate."

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:56 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

Rod Serling wrote:

I agree 100%. "major league ready" just means they were once good players that are over the hill, and we really just, Rod i need you help with this one. Salary Dumps.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:51 pm 

Ok, so let's say we keep Bay and insert Nyjer Morgan in his place in the deal.
After all, he doesn't make much. Does that deal happen? Salary dump is Aram for Bobby Hill. I just don't see this as a salary dump deal.