Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: May 27, 2009 Pirates (21-25) at Cubs (22-22)
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 am 

The Italian bucco wrote:
Today is mi birthday (28) and I've hoped for a winning gift from the buccos... :cry:

Happy birthday. If it makes you feel any better, I can guarantee that they won't lose today.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:40 am 

Yes but I've just discovered that I'm 27.....and not 28 as I told to everyone since I got up!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm born today at 15:00 (Italy Time) 09:00 (ET)....so 21 minutes from now, 27 years ago!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 am 

The Italian bucco wrote:
Yes but I've just discovered that I'm 27.....and not 28 as I told to everyone since I got up!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm born today at 15:00 (Italy Time) 09:00 (ET)....so 21 minutes from now, 27 years ago!

Congratulations: The Last time the Pirates fielded a winning team, you were ten years old.

This puts you at the top of your Pirate Fan pledge class.

Most do not have any recollection of a winning franchise.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 am 

Win? What a strange word....never heard about it.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:16 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
You are posting pictures as insults. That's name calling, and thats attacking.

Okay, now it's on.

Rod offers his reasoned assessment of the Pirates

Quite possibly my favorite use of pictures and captions on this board ever.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:17 am 

Rod, it must be tuff being you. Are you this miserable all day? Why do you obsess with Pirate ownership so much? Have you considered some therapy to help moving on with your life?

The old phrase 'broken record' refers to the old records which when scratched would sometimes just repeat the same line over, and over, and over... (thought you were too young to know about that).

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:24 am 

With the phasing out of vinyl, what will be the replacement for "broken record"? Or will there be one?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:43 am 

Willton wrote:
With the phasing out of vinyl, what will be the replacement for "broken record"? Or will there be one?

There will always be a niche market for vinyl. Audiophiles swear by them. I used to be one until it got too expensive. May need to rethink though as the market is picking up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggLYE87Ed0

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 am 

Argentum wrote:
Willton wrote:

There will always be a niche market for vinyl. Audiophiles swear by them. I used to be one until it got too expensive. May need to rethink though as the market is picking up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggLYE87Ed0

vinyl is making a come back...Of course a brand new album on vinyl is around $30 bucks...some good used vinyl is about $5-10...the rare stuff can get very pricey!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:06 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
...the rare stuff can get very pricey!!!

Yep. All you old timers out there, start checking your vinyl collections for early print (60's) releases. German pressed Beatles albums in great condition are going for $200+! My tip for the day, if you can snap up old LPs at garage sales for pennies on the dollar, do so, you may get lucky.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:15 pm 

Argentum wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Yep. All you old timers out there, start checking your vinyl collections for early print (60's) releases. German pressed Beatles albums in great condition are going for $200+! My tip for the day, if you can snap up old LPs at garage sales for pennies on the dollar, do so, you may get lucky.

So if I have a crate of LP's that I unwillingly inherited from my wife's grandmother (nothing good like the Beatles, mostly country and other junk I've never heard of), could it make me some money? Or is it just junk?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:16 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

So if I have a crate of LP's that I unwillingly inherited from my wife's grandmother (nothing good like the Beatles, mostly country and other junk I've never heard of), could it make me some money? Or is it just junk?

Depends on the market. Stay in Pittsburgh and you may remain unlucky. Go to Nashville with those LPs and you may be in luck.

Last edited by Willton on Thu May 28, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:17 pm 

Argentum wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I had a Johnny Cash album I picked up for $2 at a flea market, turns out it was a rare pressing from Austrailia...sold it for $500...

I also have picked up The hard to find the last Led Zeppelin album, Coda, and the album that got Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham signed with Fleetwood Mac, simply titled Buckingham Nicks...

I went and bought two new turn tables with past winter...one is a regular turn table that plugs into your stereo system and the other converts records into mp3s via a USB port built in that plugs to your computer...

Once I get enough good material to make my own album, I so want to do a few on vinyl...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:34 pm 

Willton wrote:
Depends on the market. Stay in Pittsburgh and you may remain unlucky. Go to Nashville with those LPs and you may be in luck.

I guess the real question is, how do I determine the value of any of these?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:35 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Argentum wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I had a Johnny Cash album I picked up for $2 at a flea market, turns out it was a rare pressing from Austrailia...sold it for $500...

I also have picked up The hard to find the last Led Zeppelin album, Coda, and the album that got Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham signed with Fleetwood Mac, simply titled Buckingham Nicks...

I went and bought two new turn tables with past winter...one is a regular turn table that plugs into your stereo system and the other converts records into mp3s via a USB port built in that plugs to your computer...

Once I get enough good material to make my own album, I so want to do a few on vinyl...

Dan, I'm envious. $500! That's awesome. I think the market will eventually be saturated by people looking to make a buck (nothing wrong with that btw), just like baseball cards and musical instruments (have you seen what old Fenders are going for!!). Now is the time to buy, before the garage sale crowd gets wise.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Dan, I'm envious. $500! That's awesome. I think the market will eventually be saturated by people looking to make a buck (nothing wrong with that btw), just like baseball cards and musical instruments (have you seen what old Fenders are going for!!). Now is the time to buy, before the garage sale crowd gets wise.

I bought a 1970's Janpanese Fender Bass knock off the other day, off an older gentleman for $40, once I fix the volume knob on it, I know I can easily get $150 to $200 for it...Japanese electronics started making a boom in the 70's and their generic knockoff instruments are sometimes just as good if not better than the product they were copying...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

BBF -
If I were you I'd do a quick eBay search. You can check past sales and that should give you a rough idea of what they may be worth.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm 

Correct no. 9. E bay is the bench mark for value. One of my best friends here in Tempe owns a used record store. Were it not for vinyl, he would be out of business long ago. He doesn't even work in the store anymore. He is the one out going to yard sales every day and record conventions both in town and out of town. There is a huge one in Austin Texas that he goes to annually. He also buys up all turntables and receivers with the correct inputs and grounds for turntables. He has an electronics wizard that goes through everything he buys. There is a market out there for weird stuff. He also sells all big money stuff that would be a tougher sell in his store on ebay. Original jazz stuff, Impulse and Blue Note are desirable. He sells a lot of classic rock stuff in his store. Punk is a good vinyl market too. The bottom line is condition. You can't play it? Trash it. His personal Holy Grail was and original soundtrack for the movie the Caine Mutiny, Humphrey Bogart, Fred McMurray, etc. You would think that being such a big movie there would be a lot of them produced, but no. Only 12-13 are known to have been made of the original. A second pressing was done many years later. I think he paid 2 bucks for it. Sold it for almost 7 grand. Vinyl lives on.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:13 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I bought a 1970's Janpanese Fender Bass knock off the other day, off an older gentleman for $40, once I fix the volume knob on it, I know I can easily get $150 to $200 for it...Japanese electronics started making a boom in the 70's and their generic knockoff instruments are sometimes just as good if not better than the product they were copying...

1980's Japanese Fenders (Strats mostly, not knock offs) are considered collectibles for the reason stated, quality of build. Japan was making better guitars in some instances than the ones being made at the Corona, CA. plant! I have a few Mexican Strats, which after a few hardware upgrades, play just as good as my American.

Of course the 1960's Japanese Kawaii Strat knock-off my uncle gave me is still a piece of shit, and as such, commands a commensurate price. Ugly as sin to boot.

Attachments:
KawaiBody.JPG
KawaiBody.JPG [ 30.98 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:16 pm 

Oh yeah, that's an aluminum pick guard!! The whole damn thing, not just the strike guard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next