Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Virginia 10, Lake County 5
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:49 pm 

I got baked in the sun but today's game was quite enjoyable. The Power had their hitting shoes on.

West Virginia scored one in the 2nd and six in the 3rd to take an early 7-0 lead on their way to a 10-5 victory over the Captains. Erik Huber led the way with four hits, and five others had two hits each.. Chase D'Arnaud, Quincy Latimore, Jeremy Farrell, Andrew Walker, and Austin Mc Clune. No homeruns (Lake County hit one while I was taking a leak.)

Another brilliant pitching performance by lefty Rudy Owens. He allowed one hit in five shut out innings. He walked three and struck out eight. His was over powering, seemed to use every part of the plate. He had a no hitter through 4 1/3 innings.. had a little trouble with control (loaded the bases) in the third after getting a big lead. He looked great though.

I planned to sit on the third base side in order to be near the Power dugout but a guy came up to me while I was in line and gave me a free ticket! The man was from Pittsburgh and he gave his extra ticket to me because I was in full Pirates gear. We talked Pirates baseball for six innings. I missed a lot of the action. A screaming foul ball shot over our heads at one point.. luckily we caught sight of it at the last second (we sat in the second row from the field, third base side near the plate.) Classic Park is beautiful.. seats about 5,000.. about 2,500 in attendance I'd say.

Later I met a guy wearing a Dave Parker Charleston Charlies jersey and we talked a while. This guy knows his baseball.. he was telling me that Robbie Grossman is going to be a good major league player.. the Pirates had to give him a lot of money to keep him from going to college. This gentleman waxed poetic about Brad Lincoln as well.

I got a close up photo of Austin Mc Clune in the batter's box, and a decent photo of reliever Eduardo Pena. On his way to the bull pen reliever Brian Leach gave me a high five as I reached from the stands. That was cool! I think his name is Brian. Near the end of the game Quincy Lattimore chased a foul ball as I was texting my wife (I moved to the third base side) and Quincy ran straight toward me. I was scared. I couldn't find the ball (in flight.) I thought for sure I'd get hit in the head. It bounced over me. I could hear Quincy talking later. After a Lake County hit Quincy said "that was scorched!"

It was fun but I am suffering from sunburns. I am very pale.. can't take so much sun. My arms and neck are on fire still!!

I was hoping to see Calvin Johnson (ha! thinking about the Lions!) Calvin Anderson I mean! He was given a day off. I don't know if West Virginia has a power hitter aside from him. Greg Picart is a nice fielder.. shows some range.

I'll try to check them out again when they return to northeast Ohio in July.

Post subject: Re: West Virginia 10, Lake County 5
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 am 

Thanks for the continued updates on the Power, Ollie. I checked out their site and see that they are doing an Obama bobblehead giveaway (their first) ... our minor league hockey team had one last season and nearly 9K showed up.

I will be going to an Indians game with a friend who lives in Indy next month on Nate McLouth bobblehead night and plan on going to a game in Lynchburg sometime this season as I have a cousin who just got a job offer there last year. It will be my first time at both.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 am 

Ollie - I wish this message board had points, or karma, or whatever kudos could be given by one poster to another, since your reports would get a ton of good vibes from me. Your and Curveradio's info is simply great.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 am 

Gee, thanks fellers.. I only wish I was as baseball savvy as a lot of you guys.

I loved seeing those Pirates fans in that small ballpark. What a cool connection to have with these complete strangers. As a kid I adopted an out of state team which kinda sucked because I didn't have any Buc buddies growing up, but now I can hop over to Eastlake or Akron and meet some devoted Pirates fans.. guys like you fine folks here.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:25 am 

Thanks Ollie, great report. I have spoken with Owens, agent a couple of times this past spring. Owens is a local guy here who played for Mesa CC prior to being drafted. He could be a good one.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:21 am 

Rudy Owens is the only left handed Power pitcher. There's only one other left handed player on West Virginia's roster.. Grossman I think.

Shark, that is cool! I would love to see a game in Lynchburg. How far is that from the Queen City?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:23 am 

Ollie wrote:

Shark, that is cool! I would love to see a game in Lynchburg. How far is that from the Queen City?

Sorry I saw this so late. It's not a short drive, 7-8 hours give or take, but at least I'll be staying with family and it'll be their first game as well. They said the stadium, what little they've seen of it, looks similar to the size of high school or college field.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:20 am 
 WWW  Profile

Ollie wrote:
I got baked in the sun...

Well then your sunburn shouldn't hurt quite as bad! :lol:

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!