Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tough Loss Tonight
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:04 pm 

You cannot pitch much better than Duke did. I am glad the Bucs didn't score one in the nineth, to make it a 2-1 game.

Bucs will win the next two!

Post subject: Re: Tough Loss Tonight
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:11 pm 

Animal wrote:
You cannot pitch much better than Duke did. I am glad the Bucs didn't score one in the nineth, to make it a 2-1 game.

Why are you glad we got shut out?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:13 pm 

Not happy with the shutout, but Duke was pretty upset with himself over the HR. If we had scored a run to make it 2-1, I think that he would have really blamed himself a lot more. A loss is a loss.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:19 pm 

Pirate hitters should slam their collective thumbs in the car door for the most miserable effort imaginable. A collection of horrendous swings, weak half swings, failure to swing at fastballs thigh-high, and waving at shit in the dirt

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:24 pm 

The hitters let Duke down. Big time!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:28 pm 

If we can start scoring runs for Zach he could be our all-star representative in St. Louis

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:31 pm 

You got that right. You realize that both Duke and Ohlendorf are tied for second in the NL with 5 wins? They are both on a pace to win 20!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:32 pm 

The bullpen defecation last night plus the horrendous hitting at the start of interleague play harkens the end of the season. Hey, at least it came in late May ...

I just do not see the Pirates doing anything this series. Gavin Floyd was the AL's punching-bag bitch before tonight. Washington threw two rookies in 4 games, both of whom basically shut down the Pirates.

White Sox blow. But the Pirates blow so much more. Pirates win this stink-off.

Hey, when can McCutchen join the team? At least something to give a shit about.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:33 pm 

Animal wrote:
You got that right. You realize that both Duke and Ohlendorf are tied for second in the NL with 5 wins? They are both on a pace to win 20!

Only if they hold the opposition to -1 runs or less.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 pm 

This tends to happen when the manager puts a bad lineup out there.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:38 am 

Ollie wrote:
If we can start scoring runs for Zach he could be our all-star representative in St. Louis

When was the last time we had a starting pitching in the all-star game?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:23 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Ollie wrote:

Dock Ellis, 1971 vs Vida Blue, tiger stadium detroit.
You never saw the gopher ball Reggie Jackson hit off him that struck a light tower?.
To my best recollection, that is the last Pittsburgh Pirates to START an all star game.
I don't think that totally answers your question though.
The last Pirates starter to make an all star team would probably have been , Denny Neagle?, John Smiley?, Doug Drabek?, Jason Schmidt?, Oliver Perez,
Kip Wells maybe?. not at all sure, i know the last Pirate to start an all star game was Dock Ellis, i am sure of that.
I know Mike Williams made it as a relief pitcher once.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:50 am 

palushock wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Ollie wrote:

Dock Ellis, 1971 vs Vida Blue, tiger stadium detroit.
You never saw the gopher ball Reggie Jackson hit off him that struck a light tower?.
To my best recollection, that is the last Pittsburgh Pirates to START an all star game.
I don't think that totally answers your question though.
The last Pirates starter to make an all star team would probably have been , Denny Neagle?, John Smiley?, Doug Drabek?, Jason Schmidt?, Oliver Perez,
Kip Wells maybe?. not at all sure, i know the last Pirate to start an all star game was Dock Ellis, i am sure of that.
I know Mike Williams made it as a relief pitcher once.

Yeah i was thinking it was either John Smiley or Doug Drabek but i wasn't sure, but i didn't see Reggie Jackson homerun in 1971. I wish i had that was a hell of a year, but that was 16 years before i was born. I have a collection of baseball tapes and the one talks about how Dock Ellis hit Reggie Jackson in the face to get back at him for that homerun.
I found something funny that i didn't know about Dock Ellis on his Wikipedia page.
Here is what it says...

June 12, 1970 no-hitter
No-hitting the San Diego Padres on June 12, 1970 despite being, as he would claim in 1984, under the influence of LSD throughout the course of the game. Ellis had been visiting friends in Los Angeles under the impression he had the day off and was still high when his girlfriend told him he had to pitch a game against the Padres that night. Ellis boarded a shuttle flight to the ballpark and threw a no-hitter despite not being able to feel the ball or clearly see the batter or catcher. Ellis claims catcher Jerry May wore reflective tape on his fingers which helped Ellis to see his target. Ellis walked eight, struck out six, and was aided by excellent fielding plays by second baseman Bill Mazeroski and center fielder Matty Alou.

As Ellis recounted it:
"I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."
The incident inspired the song "Dock Ellis" by indie rock singer Barbara Manning, "America's Favorite Pastime" by folk singer Todd Snider, and "Dock Ellis No-No" by Chuck Brodsky.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:19 am 

Bob Walk was an All Star back in 1988, and believe it or not, Neal Heaton was an all star for the Bucs in 1990, I believe.

Rick Reuschel was selected as an All Star the year he was traded to San Fran for Jeff Robinson in 1987.

I thought Ken Brett started the All Star game in 1974 when it was at Three Rivers Stadium, but I cannot find it anywhere. I know he at least made the team.

I am going to try and find the info.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:42 am 

Okay, I did some digging.

The last Pirate starting pitcher SELECTED to the All star game was Denny Neagle in 1995. He was also the last Pirate starter to APPEAR in the game that year.

John Smiley was selected in 1991 but did not play.

Neal Heaton in 1990 but did not play.

Bob Walk pitched 1/3 of an inning in the '88 game.

Rick Reuschel pitched 1 1/3 scoreless in '87.

Rick Rhoden was selected in '86 but did not play.

Jim Bibby pitched an inning (and got a hold) in the 1980 game. (Teke also has his only AS selection that year but did not play)

Candy Man was selected in '77 but did not play.

Ken Brett was indeed selected in '74 at Three Rivers Stadium, but did NOT start. I really thought he had, but as I recall now, there was some controversy about it. Andy Messersmith started. Ken Brett pitched two innings after Messersmith and did get the win. So I guess Brett would be that last Pirate starter to WIN an All Star game.

Steve Blass was selected in '72 and gave up one run in one inning.

and finally, the last Pirate starter to start an All Star game was indeed Dock Ellis in 1971. Dock gave up 4 runs in 3 innings to take the loss. He actually was very solid in the first two innings, then gave up HR to Reggie and Frank Robinson in the third.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:38 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:

Why are you glad we got shut out?

Gotta agree. Dumb point. Helllooooo!!!!!!!!!!!