Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:56 am 

So how long until the draft? This year's draft is much, much, much more important that who Russell is using in the 8th inning, but it hasn't been discussed much yet, so I thought I would start a thread on it.

The consensus seems to be that Strasburg and Ackley go 1-2. Beyond that, there isn't much in the way of elite talent to be had. Who should we take with the 4th overall pick? Most are projecting pitchers, with Kyle Gibson, Aaron Crow, etc in the mix. Going in to the season, I was very high on Grant Green and was hoping he might fall to the 4th spot, but it seems he has fallen a lot more than that. Does anyone know why? I haven't read any scouting reports, only reports that scouts don't like him as much. Most top 10's don't even include him now. What's the story?

Post subject: Re: Draft Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:09 am 

This week's Sporting News has a little piece on prospects for the draft. The article said scouts are still high on Green, but he hasn't shown much in the way of power. They also said consistency has been an issue. I don't have the magazine in front of me right now so I can't remember the exact quotes. But he was one of 4 or 5 college players they profiled. They compared all of them to a current major leaguer and Green was compared to Derek Jeter. Considering our SS depth, or lack there of, I wouldn't mind seeing this kid drafted. Ackley will probably be gone. If they are sold on one of the pitchers(yea, I know our history isn't good there) but I wouldn't mind seeing them add another arm.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 pm 

Maybe it was in the Post Gazette the other day, but I read somewhere Neal went and watched Crow pitch the other night...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:05 pm 

After Strasburg and Ackley, my list is as follows:

1. Jacob Turner
2. Kyle Gibson
3. Aaron Crow
4. Zach Wheeler
5. Donovan Tate

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:53 pm 

I will not pretend for a moment to have anywhere near the knowledge necessary to determine who the Pirates should or should not pick. I will only add that I am a firm proponent of the Chuck Noll "Best Available Athlete" philosophy of drafting, especially in the first round, and double especially with the first few picks in the first round. Even if it's a third baseman where we're already flush with young talent, don't skip over the next Mike Schmidt and draft Bryan Bullington because you think we need pitching. This is the one area where we have leverage over the Red Sox and Yankees of the world. We get to pick before them. We have to pick the best player available.

Having said all that, if it's a tie as to who is the best player, choose the pitcher.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:09 pm 

In Keith Law's latest chat he mentioned how the Pirates may go cheap on the #4 pick as a result of the Sano kid.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:31 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I did not see Law (I avoid him whenever possible), but I was going to post that given the very weak nature of this year's draft (as I've heard the draftniks say) excepting the Stanford pitcher, I say give your money to the kid with the real talent. Take your first round pick, and stand hard on the money if you get Sano. If you get both, you've got a deal. If you don't sign the 1st rounder, take the picks and smile that you got the one you wanted anyway, and overpay for talent deeper in the draft.

ZM