Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 21, 2009 Pirates (19-21) at Nationals (11-28)
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 pm 

omgardd wrote:

I understand that, but try to win every game you can.

Absolutely. But its not like he has a ton of talented pitchers in the pen to work with. Choosing between Burnett and Gorzo in a high leverage situation is like choosing between a hooker with gonnorhea and a hooker with syphillis. Either way, its bound to be painful.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:16 pm 

BBF wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Absolutely. But its not like he has a ton of talented pitchers in the pen to work with. Choosing between Burnett and Gorzo in a high leverage situation is like choosing between a hooker with gonnorhea and a hooker with syphillis. Either way, its bound to be painful.

Chavez pitches against Zimmerman, case closed.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:17 pm 

BBF wrote:
omgardd wrote:

True, but I would've gone with Evan Meek or Chavez sooner myself.

I don't understand when you have a team this young, when you're trying to find out about young players, why Russell chooses to rely on veterans as much as he does. Burnett out of the pen, Yates out of the pen, Grabow clearly is being overworked. Monroe, Hinske and Vasquez being given significant roles.

Chavez has been our best reliever. Delwyn Young has been great. Haven't seen enough of Meek or Donnie Veal. I thought this wasn't supposed to be the case this year. (veterans in key roles)

Last edited by omgardd on Fri May 22, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:24 pm 

Russell is just a poor major league manager.
How can you justify that you want a 200 hitting lefthanded hitter up , to hit for 1 of your hottest bats, rbi's tonight, 2 i think, because he is lefty against a righty?
But you allow a lefty reliever to stay in the game, to face one of the leagues best hitters this season.
Got to mix in the fact this was his 2nd inning, and he had already put 2 guys on base in this current inning.
If you want to play the matchup game, then you CANNOT, unless he is your last pitcher, let Zimmerman bat against him.
Gotta bring in the righty.
If you can get past Zimmerman, you have choice of Burnett, or Grabow to face Dunn.
Get out of that , you have the lead, going to the ninth with your closer(or if you prefer, the other righty you did not put in the game to pitch to Zimmerman).
If Capps is not available, you still have options.
Leaving Gorzellany in to pitch to Zimmerman, was clearly, and should not have been an option.
Lefty relievers are really counted on to do 1 job, and that is to get lefty hitters out. I would have rather have had gorzellany walk Zimmerman(you just knew he was going to come through), and face Dunn with the sacks full.
That's totally against the book, but i would have felt getting out of that inning with the lead, using that scenario.