Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opening a new can of worms . . .
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 am 

Coffee Talk . . . Pirates baseball style:

Top of the 10th . . . Vasquez on first base . . . Morgan at the plate . . . "to bunt or not to bunt?"

Talk amongst yourselves.

I'd post my thoughts but I'm pretty sure that you all know where I come down on this one.

Post subject: Re: Opening a new can of worms . . .
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:09 am 

I'm not a fan of the bunt by any stretch, excepting pitchers, but I can see some logic in bunting in that situation. Extra innings, tired BP, on the road, etc.... I would point out though that there was a play to be had on Vasquez at second. It could very easily have gone the other way had Beimel thrown there.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:21 am 
 WWW  Profile

I don't mind the bunt in most instances. I wouldn't here, however. Morgan, because of his speed, would more than likely not hit into a double play. If there is a force out at 2nd he still has the ability to steal 2nd. There are a few negatives to letting him hit away too. He could strike out, hit into a DP, hit a fly ball, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:23 am 

I like Morgan bunting up the first base line, and turning the bunt into a possible hit. At worst, that ends with the runner at second base, one out. At best, first and second, no outs.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 am 

Argentum wrote:
I'm not a fan of the bunt by any stretch, excepting pitchers, but I can see some logic in bunting in that situation. Extra innings, tired BP, on the road, etc.... I would point out though that there was a play to be had on Vasquez at second. It could very easily have gone the other way had Beimel thrown there.

Argentum -
Wholly agree with you on the quality of Morgan's bunt attempt. Not stellar execution by any means. I also heard one of the TV guys (pretty sure that it was Walk) comment about Beimel being "fixated" on getting an out and not trying to throw to second base. While I know that it is usually bad form to disagree with Walk, I initially thought that he was crazy because I thought that Vasquez got a pretty good jump on the ball.

DISCLAIMER HERE: I am not paid by MLB to promote its services.

Upon additional review (insomnia attack last night), on the MLB.TV system which allows you to watch archived games and which has DVR functionality, I replayed the bunt and hit "pause" when Beimel picked up the ball. Vasquez is just past half-way to second base as Beimel has the ball and is looking towards second base. Beimel's momentum is not heading towards second base and it would probably be a tough play if he had to throw to second base and the runner had to be tagged out. But, since a force was in play, I believe that Walk was dead on right that the Nats had a great chance at a force out at second but that Beimel played it safe to get the sure out at first base.

Again, for what it is worth, I cannot say enough good things about the $120 I invested to subscribe to the MLB.TV service. The quality has been fantastic and, blackouts notwithstanding, I have access to nearly every game live and a "library" of games to go back and watch whenever I want to. Its a fantastic service for a relatively small amount of $$$. Considering the baseball season to be 6 months, the service averages to about $20/month. Well worth it. The price for the remainder of the season is now $99. You also get all of the radio broadcasts over the internet and enhanced Gameday feature with stats/updates, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:45 pm 

I say bunt. You can't run the chance of a double play.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

My opinion...

Attachments:
7UpBuntCake.jpg
7UpBuntCake.jpg [ 114.45 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 pm 

Please, not while I am hungry.