Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 19, 2009 Pirates (17-21) at Nationals (11-26)
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:32 pm 

Actually, Gorzo gets the W.
I had computer problems just before the top of the tenth. Looking at the box score, did JR really take Andy out of the game in a double-switch and have Gorzo bat instead?
What's with that?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:38 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:59 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Actually, Gorzo gets the W.
I had computer problems just before the top of the tenth. Looking at the box score, did JR really take Andy out of the game in a double-switch and have Gorzo bat instead?
What's with that?

He double switched to avoid having Gorzo bat lead-off. Gorzo was due to hit 6th that inning from the switch. Russell figured that either he does not bat, and pitches only to later get pinch-hit for, or the Buccos put up so many runs that his AB does not matter.

The latter possibility was desired, occured and led to the win. In fact, the guy brought in on the double switch (Vasquez) started the rally with a single.

By the by ... Gorzo does something that I really want other pitchers to do - he changes pitch speed and location basically every pitch. He did not throw 3 or 4 straight fastballs, inner half, or out half, or 3 straight curve balls. His success the past two days is due at least in part to that, IMO.

His K of Dunn yesterday is an example. He fanned him on a curve after throwing a fastball for a strike. If he goes curve, curve, curve ... same result? I don't think so.

The Kearns long fly-out in the 8th is an example of throwing the same pitch, over and over. Grabow threw 3 fastballs, inside corner, out of 4 pitches. The third was crushed. Mix it up, for crying out loud.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 am 

Bertie wrote:
Er - wanna change your mind No9?

I was simply trying to point out that if it is so clear that when the first batter in the bottom of the ninth hits one to the warning track that Burnett doesn't have it and Russell is an idiot for not seeing that . . . then wouldn't logic dictate that when Gorzo follows suit in the bottom of the 10th, that he doesn't have it as well???????

I guess my facetiousness didn't play out well in writing.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 am 

omgardd wrote:
BBF wrote:
omgardd wrote:

What has he done this year during the season this year? That K to Harris justifies that I was right.

By your logic, using what occurs in the past over normal logic, something you and John Russell clearly both don't do, the Pirates should be starting Chris Duffy over McLouth.

So far the only logic you've presented is "Russell is wrong". I've yet to see you explain how you knew Gorzo would have success tonight.

I'm smarter than John Russell. But then again, so is the kid that played Corky Thatcher on Life Goes On. Nothing to brag about.

I'm fairly certain that John Russell has forgotten more baseball than you have ever known.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:25 am 

I'm not a big Russel fan, but I don't think the moments after a win is the time to critize him. Wins are the only thing that matter, and JR's team won again tonight!

Fun game overall, I thought. I like Gorzo in the pen.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:32 am 

BBF wrote:
omgardd wrote:

What has he done this year during the season this year? That K to Harris justifies that I was right.

By your logic, using what occurs in the past over normal logic, something you and John Russell clearly both don't do, the Pirates should be starting Chris Duffy over McLouth.

So far the only logic you've presented is "Russell is wrong". I've yet to see you explain how you knew Gorzo would have success tonight.

BBF -
I think that it is also important to note that a manager's pitching decisions are greatly influenced by the observations and comments from the pitching coach. Thus, not only does Russell know less about baseball than Omgarrd but Kerrigan is also far less knowledgeable.
Just wanted to add that to the mix.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:47 am 

Argentum wrote:
Is there a worse defensive SS than Guzman in all of Baseball?

Until Jack came off the DL, Brian Bixler!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 am 

I listened to the raido lastnight and Greg Brown asked Walk if he noticed anything different with Gorzo since the last time he saw him pitch, and he said he's throwing strikes...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am 

BBF wrote:
Did Capps get hit by a truck on his way to the park today? Gorzo coming back out, with Veal warming...

Since May 12th Capps had been in 5 games and in Mondays game threw over 20 pitches...he just needed a night off...

I question leaving Burnett out there that long, but against a bullpen and a defense as bad as the Nationals you can take a risk...

The bullpen has been used pretty good because of the rain Saturday...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
By the by ... Gorzo does something that I really want other pitchers to do - he changes pitch speed and location basically every pitch. He did not throw 3 or 4 straight fastballs, inner half, or out half, or 3 straight curve balls. His success the past two days is due at least in part to that, IMO...

True, true Bucfan. But, the question is... is Gorzo doing it on purpose?

ZM

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:34 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
By the by ... Gorzo does something that I really want other pitchers to do - he changes pitch speed and location basically every pitch. He did not throw 3 or 4 straight fastballs, inner half, or out half, or 3 straight curve balls. His success the past two days is due at least in part to that, IMO...

True, true Bucfan. But, the question is... is Gorzo doing it on purpose?

ZM

Nice one ZM. That actually made me LOL!