Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SAD
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3324
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Well, usually every year there is a thread titled "SAD" regarding the Pirates.

I would like to go on record saying that this Pirate team IS NOT going to do much of anything in 2008. They are just not a very talented group of ballplayers. Maybe they would do well in AAA. Possibly a few Pirates could be good role players on a successful team. But as a group of players as a team, not very talented indeed.

Good luck to John Russell and to the rest of the coaches and FO. I think they are good baseball people. We are in for the long haul before anything ever happens in Pittsburgh with winning baseball again which already includes the previous 15 years of losing baseball.

PNC was hardly populated with fans tonight. It will soon become an echo chamber. A sad state of affairs.

I have to come to the conclusion that when the Pirates lose, it is more likely because they are just not very talented versus how good the opponents are or versus how luck was involved in a particular game. Lack of talent results in loses and nothing can change that.

So I either accept this Pirate team for what they are, or I stop following the Pirates altogether. After 15 years of losing, it is becoming very difficult to stay loyal. I will continue to try.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 1:45 am
Posts: 15
I agree with you, it's hard watching this. But somehow everyday I look forward to Pirate games, and I'm not sure why, especially when the play as bad as they do.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
bassoondirector wrote:
Well, usually every year there is a thread titled "SAD" regarding the Pirates.

I would like to go on record saying that this Pirate team IS NOT going to do much of anything in 2008. They are just not a very talented group of ballplayers. Maybe they would do well in AAA. Possibly a few Pirates could be good role players on a successful team. But as a group of players as a team, not very talented indeed.

Good luck to John Russell and to the rest of the coaches and FO. I think they are good baseball people. We are in for the long haul before anything ever happens in Pittsburgh with winning baseball again which already includes the previous 15 years of losing baseball.

PNC was hardly populated with fans tonight. It will soon become an echo chamber. A sad state of affairs.

I have to come to the conclusion that when the Pirates lose, it is more likely because they are just not very talented versus how good the opponents are or versus how luck was involved in a particular game. Lack of talent results in loses and nothing can change that.

So I either accept this Pirate team for what they are, or I stop following the Pirates altogether. After 15 years of losing, it is becoming very difficult to stay loyal. I will continue to try.


Why do you want to stay loyal? It took you this long to figure out the obvious? Has this ownership group been loyal to its fans? Not saying you become a fan of another team..just be indifferent. The reason why there is a lack of talent is the proven track record of this ownership group to pay & acquire/draft talent. Near the bottom of payroll and losing every year. PNC..Echo chamber?....as it should be. Funny thing is that with the economic structure, ownership will still make money if PNC is an echo chamber game in game out. But it does mean less money for ownership to pay down debt.(put in their pockets) ...and maybe, they will sell the team.
Yes it it sad...its been sad....and it is going to continue to be sad until an ownership group truly makes an effort to win instead of feeding BS spin about paying down debt & the same lousy team being accountable if they dont win.
If you can not make ownership accountable about the pathetic situation that they have created, you have no one to be sad about except yourself.

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:11 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
bassoondirector wrote:

So I either accept this Pirate team for what they are, or I stop following the Pirates altogether. After 15 years of losing, it is becoming very difficult to stay loyal. I will continue to try.


Tread lightly, BD...if you throw feed like that around, a bull is liable to show up soon.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7235
BBF wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

So I either accept this Pirate team for what they are, or I stop following the Pirates altogether. After 15 years of losing, it is becoming very difficult to stay loyal. I will continue to try.


Tread lightly, BD...if you throw feed like that around, a bull is liable to show up soon.


At 1st I thought maybe the Bull hi-jacked his account and username...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
I'm sure most of us agree with BD about the team. But I too look forward to the games anyway. I know that there is a better then even chance they will not win, but it's still fun to route for them because I believe they are giving their all and the wins are satisfying. I also think the coaching is fine and we just lack the necessary talent.
Maybe there is something in us which makes us route for the underdog in a fight. And their is always the hope that if we are patient enough a talented bunch will be put together and some of these guys will be part of it.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SAD
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Substitute2 wrote:
I'm sure most of us agree with BD about the team. But I too look forward to the games anyway. I know that there is a better then even chance they will not win, but it's still fun to route for them because I believe they are giving their all and the wins are satisfying. I also think the coaching is fine and we just lack the necessary talent.
Maybe there is something in us which makes us route for the underdog in a fight. And their is always the hope that if we are patient enough a talented bunch will be put together and some of these guys will be part of it.


Pretty much agreed 100 %. I will never actually "stop" being a fan of any of my favorite teams, no matter how bad they are, I'll still root for them, look forward to games, watch/listen to them, and take some in.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], StarlingArcher and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits