Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wilson Rumor
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

• The Seattle Times reported on its blog, quoting unidentified sources, that Mariners officials have discussed with the Pirates a possible trade for shortstop Jack Wilson. It cited Mariners shortstop Yusniesky Betancourt as Seattle's potential chip in such a deal: He's a 27-year-old, Cuban right-hander who averages .281 for his career with similar production to Wilson. Betancourt is owed $2 million this season, $3 million next year, $4 million in 2011 with a $6 million club option or a $2 million buyout in '12.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09139/97 ... FxG7o6da&B

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

Post subject: Re: Wilson Rumor
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:48 pm 

It has to be a bogus situation unless the Pirates are getting a nice prospect in return. I can't see us trading Jack for a player of lesser defense and a higher cost. Doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm 

How is Betancourt a higher cost? I really don't understand the trade from the Mariners' standpoint.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:31 pm 

Me neither.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:44 pm 

Given Jack's contract, I don't expect to get much back for him, but I'd rather get a PTBNL in return than YuBet. He's a strong candidate for the worst everyday player in MLB — truly dreadful.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I believe that, once again, we have seen the value of having Jack Wilson as our SS. Granted, he does not hit all that great, but his defense has probably prevented numerous runs from scoring.

I am one of maybe the few who feel like we keep Wilson as long as his defense continues to shine and we have a SS that is ready to replace him.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 pm 

I believe the 1 for 1 player trades are a thing of the past anymore. It's really rare it happens.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:00 am 

cappscrew138 wrote:
I believe that, once again, we have seen the value of having Jack Wilson as our SS. Granted, he does not hit all that great, but his defense has probably prevented numerous runs from scoring.

I am one of maybe the few who feel like we keep Wilson as long as his defense continues to shine and we have a SS that is ready to replace him.

I agree with you. I still think Jack is at least top 5 in the game defensively, and since we really have no chance of replacing him anytime soon, I would resign him.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:41 am 

This is got the potential to be the best year in Bucco baseball for a long, long, time. I like what I see, and if they trade Wilson away, I am going to go ballistic. Especially, when I don't see them improving themselves by doing so. I am not ready to throw this season down the toilet just yet.

It has been proven, time and again, that this team is a completely different team with Wilson in the line up. There is nobody on the horizon. Bixler ain't it.....the others are probably a year or two away.

Sign Wilson and keep him around another 2-3 years until the next guy, whoever it is develops. It's been proven he is irreplaceable at this point.

The bucs have got to quit shooting themselves in the foot.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:55 am 

The simple fact of the matter is that Wilson is much, much more valuable to the Pirates than he is to pretty much every other team. Because of that, no one is going to give up as much in return as the Pirates would/should seek. Therefore, I can't see him being traded.

This is not to say that I think he is a piece of the future. If I can negotiate an affordable 2 year deal, I do it, because we don't have other alternatives. However, my priority is still to upgrade that position if I can (please let Brian Friday be real...)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:29 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The steroid era is about over BBF. HR-hitting SS who can actually field the position will regress back to the norm, i.e., they will start to disappear. Slap-hitting Jack Wilson's will once again man the position.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:36 pm 

Unless you are saying guys like Jose Reyes, Jimmy Rollins, or Hanley Ramirez are juicing (ok, Hanley might not qualify under the "field the position" caveat), I will continue to say that SS is a position that the Pirates can upgrade, at least offensively. Perhaps the Miguel Tejada's are a dying breed (perhaps not, discussion for a different time), but that doesn't mean we should settle for a glove-only slap-hitter to bat in the #8 hole. Further, if you'd do a little digging, you will find that there are quite a few good hitting SS prospects on the horizon, suggesting there is no fading away.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:21 pm 

Friday is looming on the horizon..the kid is a legit lead-off hitter (though we had him in the cleanup spot last night)..of course when you're 12-26, you gotta shake the lineup once in awhile..

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:25 pm 

Any news on Tabata?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:56 pm 

He is doing really well.. ahead of schedule.. should see him in a week or two as long as he doesn't have a setback.