Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dont take the Nats lightly
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:42 pm 

They have a decent lineup with Zimmerman, GUzman, and Dunn they are not a bad offensive team, however their pitching and defense is bad. I think the goal should be to take 3 out of 4, it will be tough to do that.

Post subject: Re: Dont take the Nats lightly
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:50 pm 

DoeyDoumit wrote:
They have a decent lineup with Zimmerman, GUzman, and Dunn they are not a bad offensive team, however their pitching and defense is bad. I think the goal should be to take 3 out of 4, it will be tough to do that.

Good point. However, wait until next year after they trade Dunn for 10 major league ready players. The Nats are going to be an absolute force! Sorry . . . couldn't resist. :oops:
Was on the horn with Bucfan earlier today and we were both wary of the fact that the Nats' starting pitcher tonight is making his MLB debut. All too often, we've seen a freshly called up pitcher enjoy success when there is no scouting report and he is essentially a mystery. I take some comfort that Ohlie handled a pretty good hitting Cardinals team the last time out.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 pm 

Guzman tore us up last season. I hope that doesn't carry over into this season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:18 am 

He he.. I'm sorting through old threads.. I got a kick out of the heading on this one from May 18. lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:28 am 

Surprised that the Nats haven't been more active at the deadline. They must be afraid of what Sean Burnett would say.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 am 

burghermeister wrote:
Surprised that the Nats haven't been more active at the deadline. They must be afraid of what Sean Burnett would say.

Nats could not get the half dozen prospects for Adam Dunn. It seems that the Pirates obtained every young pitcher available for trade.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:31 pm 

I laught at how everyone disses Dunn on this board, but he is a better hitter then anyone else on the Pirates. :roll:
He may also be a future hall of famer if he can get into the mid 500 homeruns that he projects to have.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:20 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
Was on the horn with Bucfan earlier today and we were both wary of the fact that the Nats' starting pitcher tonight is making his MLB debut. All too often, we've seen a freshly called up pitcher enjoy success when there is no scouting report and he is essentially a mystery. I take some comfort that Ohlie handled a pretty good hitting Cardinals team the last time out.

If he is coming from AAA, then THIS Pirates lineup should have a very good book on him!

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:33 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

If he is coming from AAA, then THIS Pirates lineup should have a very good book on him!

ZM

ZM-

In case you missed it, that was in reference to the starter on Monday, May 18 (Detwiler, IIRC), when this thread was first started.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:03 pm 

Wow! Did read someone saying Adam Dunn may be a hall of famer??!! Anyway in regards to the topic of this thread (Don't take the Nats lightly) the Pirates absolutely can't take anyone lightly....ever. Hopefully, they can grab this series at home and get a positive vibe going for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BBF wrote:

In case you missed it, that was in reference to the starter on Monday, May 18 (Detwiler, IIRC), when this thread was first started.

My reading comprehension often resembles my strike out rate as a ballplayer...

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:34 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I laught at how everyone disses Dunn on this board, but he is a better hitter then anyone else on the Pirates. :roll:
He may also be a future hall of famer if he can get into the mid 500 homeruns that he projects to have.

No offense man, but he is just a fool. Anyone with his skill set should be banging on the door of AL clubs looking to DH. It's his defense that is a total joke. The man can hit the ball for sure. Simply put though, I think he is dumb for wanting to stay in the NL. At some point in his career (should have happened already), he will have no choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:47 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Ryann wrote:

No offense man, but he is just a fool. Anyone with his skill set should be banging on the door of AL clubs looking to DH. It's his defense that is a total joke. The man can hit the ball for sure. Simply put though, I think he is dumb for wanting to stay in the NL. At some point in his career (should have happened already), he will have no choice.

He likes to play Defense he is not a very good defender, but still his bat is amazing. Better then anyone on the Pirates.
He also could very well be a hall of famer if he continues to have 40 homerun years into his late 30's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:51 pm 

Ryann wrote:
He likes to play Defense he is not a very good defender, but still his bat is amazing. Better then anyone on the Pirates.
He also could very well be a hall of famer if he continues to have 40 homerun years into his late 30's.

The problem is he probably wont hit like that into his late 30's...He's a big dude, there's a chance his body is going to break down...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:52 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Ryann wrote:

The problem is he probably wont hit like that into his late 30's...He's a big dude, there's a chance his body is going to break down...

There is also a chance that because he is big he will never lose his massive power.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:55 pm 

Ryann wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Ryann wrote:

There is also a chance that because he is big he will never lose his massive power.

If his bat speed slows up because of his size breaking down, 40 HR's isnt going to happen...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...