Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winning these two series' mean anything to you?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm 

The Pirates just won back to back series against the Cardinals and Rockies ... obviously this was the first time since the sweep of the Marlins followed by winning the Padres series last month. Does it mean anything to you? I was impressed by the fundamental baseball played en route to winning the St. Louis series, and I rarely play the "shoulda" game but I really feel this Colorado should have been a sweep. Nice to see the starting pitching and more significantly the bullpen stay consistent in the series (save the lone meltdown by Capps), and in the latter two games the bats continue to explode while actually producing runs in the process, also doing it with Nyjer missing a couple of games. The devil's advocate to all this? The Rox are not a good team.

But this team is about to go on a 10-game road stretch and they are 5-12 away from PNC. What do you expect against a four-game series against Washington, another team the Bucs are capable of beating, followed by tilts with both of the windy city teams?

Post subject: Re: Winning these two series' mean anything to you?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:31 pm 

This will be an interesting road trip, the Nationals are beatable, the White Sox have struggled and the Cubs have been missing the middle of their lineup...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:06 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
This will be an interesting road trip, the Nationals are beatable, the White Sox have struggled and the Cubs have been missing the middle of their lineup...

When i see them win a series in Chicago is when i will believe we are better than last year. I don't like how we won these 2 series. We won 2, lost 2, then won 2.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I don't like how we won these 2 series. We won 2, lost 2, then won 2.

Not arguing your point as to if they are a better team than last year, but when dealing with the Pirates, I'm never going to be disappointed in what order they win 4 out of 6 games.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 am 

TheShark wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
I don't like how we won these 2 series. We won 2, lost 2, then won 2.

Not arguing your point as to if they are a better team than last year, but when dealing with the Pirates, I'm never going to be disappointed in what order they win 4 out of 6 games.

Yeah i'm just saying if that pattern continues we lose the next two games, to the Nationals.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:08 pm 

TheShark wrote:
The Pirates just won back to back series against the Cardinals and Rockies ... obviously this was the first time since the sweep of the Marlins followed by winning the Padres series last month. Does it mean anything to you? I was impressed by the fundamental baseball played en route to winning the St. Louis series, and I rarely play the "shoulda" game but I really feel this Colorado should have been a sweep.

Shark -
I hear what you are saying but I'll also add that the Rockies could be kicking themselves as well. They were up 3-0 early on Saturday (albeit early in the game) and 4-1 yesterday late in the game against a team whose offense has been fairly anemic lately. Yeah, I wanted a sweep but - to be blunt - feel pretty fortunate that the Bucs figured out a way to salvage 2.

The Nats have some serious pitching issues and I'm hoping for 3 out of 4.

And, oh yeah, don't look now but the White Sox are struggling mightily. They are ripe for the picking. The Cubs, on the other hand, have been playing good ball.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
The Nats have some serious pitching issues and I'm hoping for 3 out of 4.

Agreed ... going 3-1 put the Buccos at 19-22, where they have been missing their clean-up hitter for most of the year, missed their number 3 hitter for 6 games, and lost their SS for two weeks.

No. 9 wrote:
And, oh yeah, don't look now but the White Sox are struggling mightily. They are ripe for the picking.

The two words that Pirate fans fear the most (besides "Scott Boras"): interleague play.