Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gorzo is Back, Yates on the DL
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:36 pm 

Quote:
The Pirates this morning placed reliever Tyler Yates on the 15-day disabled list because of right elbow inflammation and recalled starter Tom Gorzelanny from Class AAA Indianapolis.

Yates' placement is retroactive to yesterday. He was one of two relievers who did not pitch in the Pirates' 7-4 victory against Colorado.

Gorzelanny was 1-1 with a 3.98 ERA in seven starts in the minors.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09137/970857-100.stm

Karstens to the bullpen? Meek the 7th inning righty setup man?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Gorzo is Back, Yates on the DL
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:40 pm 

The Yates-for-Redmond deal was a salary dump. In reverse.

See, if you are a TRUE Pirates fan, then dealing a proven major leaguer for prospects is a salary dump. Trading a prospect for a proven major leaguer is an idiotic personnel decision.

It's easy once you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:19 pm 

Now you've got it Bucfan. But its actually even simpler than that. Every move the Pirates make is wrong. Repeat it. Learn to love it.

As for Gorzo, count me among those not expecting much from him. He had outstanding numbers at Indy last year too, then came up and soiled himself.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:23 pm 

BBF wrote:
Now you've got it Bucfan. But its actually even simpler than that. Every move the Pirates make is wrong. Repeat it. Learn to love it.

As for Gorzo, count me among those not expecting much from him. He had outstanding numbers at Indy last year too, then came up and soiled himself.

It looks like he is going to pitch out of the bullpen...I'm guessing hes the new Vogelsong in the pen

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:27 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
It looks like he is going to pitch out of the bullpen...I'm guessing hes the new Vogelsong in the pen

Wow. That is a description that nobody wants.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:30 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Wow. That is a description that nobody wants.

I was thinking of calling him Shawn Chacon, but I didnt want anyone to get choked...

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:40 pm 

I would put him in the rotation and give him one last shot. He probably still has more upside than Karstens

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:11 pm 

BBF wrote:

Bringing Gorzo up is a good move by the organization.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:05 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
BBF wrote:

Care to explain why?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Why can it be a good move? Or is it?

I don't know if it is right now. It could be good simply because Gorzo can be a much better pitcher than Karsten's can, if his head is on right and he finds the strike zone with authority.

Will he?

Who knows.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

I don't know if it is right now. It could be good simply because Gorzo can be a much better pitcher than Karsten's can, if his head is on right and he finds the strike zone with authority.

Will he?

Who knows.

ZM

I think the question is: is he more likely to figure things out coming out of the pen for the big club or getting the ball every fifth day in Indy? I suspect the latter.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:46 pm 

Willton wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
BBF wrote:

Care to explain why?

No.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:53 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

burghermeister wrote:
I think the question is: is he more likely to figure things out coming out of the pen for the big club or getting the ball every fifth day in Indy? I suspect the latter.

DK's blog seems to be with you. Gorzo seems to be a quick replacement in case they need his 100 pitches for some reason. It looks like he's going back as soon as they figure out how to deal with Yates, and his rotation will continue.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:08 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

Will he?

Who knows.

ZM

I just hope he stays in the pen for awhile and they don't rush him into the rotation.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:12 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

Will he?

Who knows.

ZM

Not knowing much more than what has been said here, I don't think bringing up Gorzo now is good, especially if he is to be placed in the pen. He's walking too many batters per 9 innings right now at Indy, and it will likely get worse in the majors, as the quality of opposing hitting is considerably better in the majors. I'm afraid that we are going to be seeing a lot of what we hated about Gorzo prior to this year: lots of walks and not enough strikeouts to compensate therefor.

I also don't think it's a good idea to sacrifice a starter for the bullpen unless it is clear that he has failed as a starter. That is far from clear at this point.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:32 pm 

Willton wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Will he?

Who knows.

ZM

Not knowing much more than what has been said here, I don't think bringing up Gorzo now is good, especially if he is to be placed in the pen. He's walking too many batters per 9 innings right now at Indy, and it will likely get worse in the majors, as the quality of opposing hitting is considerably better in the majors. I'm afraid that we are going to be seeing a lot of what we hated about Gorzo prior to this year: lots of walks and not enough strikeouts to compensate therefor.

I also don't think it's a good idea to sacrifice a starter for the bullpen unless it is clear that he has failed as a starter. That is far from clear at this point.

The Pirates are a horrible team. Gorzo has a better chance to get batters out than Tyler Yates does.

Period.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:19 pm 

Gorzo is just up in case a starter gets blown up in the next day or two. He was scheduled to start for Indy today...so if they had needed 5 or 6 innings today through Tuesday...they don't have to burn everyone in the bullpen again. I'm guessing he's back in Indy by or at the end of the Nationals series.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:44 am 

Rod Serling wrote:
Willton wrote:

The Pirates are a horrible team. Gorzo has a better chance to get batters out than Tyler Yates does.

Period.

So what? This is not a Gorzo vs. Yates thing; Yates is going on the DL anyway. Gorzo is a starter, and the Pirates need a reliever, not a starter. Gorzo should not be the one to fill that void.

But of course, I should have expected a knee-jerk reactionary like you to think this is a Gorzo vs. Yates debate.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:16 am 

Assuming we give credit to Joe Kerrigan for Zack Duke's start and for Ross Ohlendorf's start--- maybe it'll be a good thing for Gorzo to spend some time with him.

Man, if Snell and Gorzo could just get back to their 1st half of 2007 form, we just might have something here. That seems like so long ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:36 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
Assuming we give credit to Joe Kerrigan for Zack Duke's start and for Ross Ohlendorf's start--- maybe it'll be a good thing for Gorzo to spend some time with him.

Man, if Snell and Gorzo could just get back to their 1st half of 2007 form, we just might have something here. That seems like so long ago.

Amen JRT! Amen!

Put him in there and see what happens. Can it really be any worse than Karstens? Not to mention, we would need a righty in the pen and not Gorzzy.