Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tracy blasted by Perrotto
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:09 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Nice Try: The reference is to the record of last years' team WITH Bay and Nady, as opposed to the record of last years' team WITHOUT Bay and Nady.

They had a much better record with them, than without them.

Uuuugh . . . then what was the team's record last year in the first 38 games with Bay and Nady in the lineup . . . ?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 pm 

Every topic ends up coming to Bay and Nady.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:22 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
Nice Try: The reference is to the record of last years' team WITH Bay and Nady, as opposed to the record of last years' team WITHOUT Bay and Nady.

Uuuugh . . . then what was the team's record last year in the first 38 games with Bay and Nady in the lineup . . . ?

That's what I quoted: 18-20. He's suggesting that the trade was a bad trade because last years team was worse after Bay and Nady were traded. Makes perfect sense because, of course, when you trade veterans for prospects, the trade should be evaluated based on short term production rather than long term improvement. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:15 am 

Rod Serling wrote:

Who cares? They were still losing. The objective is to contend for a title, not suck less than the year before. If the team is not ready to contend for the playoffs, then the team needs to take steps that would reach that goal in the future. Holding on to Bay and Nady after 2008 would not have furthered that goal. The team needed more building blocks, and trading those two was the best way to acquire such building blocks. That's why they were traded, not because of some half-baked notion that the team was focused on shedding payroll.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:09 am 

Does anybody know what the teams combined records were that we played at this point last year compared to this year. I have an idea that has something to do with it. I know we played alot of bad teams this year, like the Nationals, Rockies, Padres, and we also got the Marlins when they first started their slide.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:59 am 

burghermeister wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

That's what I quoted: 18-20. He's suggesting that the trade was a bad trade because last years team was worse after Bay and Nady were traded. Makes perfect sense because, of course, when you trade veterans for prospects, the trade should be evaluated based on short term production rather than long term improvement. :roll:

I know that is what you quoted. I was simply challenging Rod to refute what you put in your post knowing full well that he couldn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:16 pm 

7/7/2008 - Indians trade C.C. Sabathia

7/29/2008 - Braves trade Mark Teixeira

7/31/2008 - Rangers trade Mark Teixeira

7/28/2006 - Brewers trade Carlos Lee

7/30/2006 - Philliles trade Bobby Abreu

7/31/1998 - Mariners trade Randy Johnson

Were those all salary dumps too? Or were they rebuilding teams trading valuable chips for several potential players in order to improve in the near future? So talk all you want about the return the Pirates got for Bay and Nady, but this type of philosophy is sound and has been part of baseball for quite some time.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 pm 

Florida Marlins Business Model:

Acquire young talent => Contender => Salary dump for young talent => Back to beginning

Over the past 15 years, the Pirates problem hasn't been salary dumps, it's been acquiring young talent.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:45 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Acquire young talent => Contender => Salary dump for young talent => Back to beginning

Over the past 15 years, the Pirates problem hasn't been salary dumps, it's been acquiring young talent.

Yah "Rinse and Repeat" (check the back of your shampoo bottle) :D

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 pm 

Argentum wrote:

100% right. Its how we get in return. We got Bobby Hill for Aramis. C'mon.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:46 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

We can thank Kris Benson's injury for that trade. Bucs' ownership was under a directive from MLB executives regarding debt structure and either Benson or Ramirez's salaries had to go. Benson was all but traded until he suffered the injury. Ramirez was a salary dump but forced by MLB. The Cubs exploited the Bucs' poor bargaining position.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:48 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
We can thank Kris Benson's injury for that trade. Bucs' ownership was under a directive from MLB executives regarding debt structure and either Benson or Ramirez's salaries had to go. Benson was all but traded until he suffered the injury. Ramirez was a salary dump but forced by MLB. The Cubs exploited the Bucs' poor bargaining position.

That may be so but it still, somehow, must have been Nutting's fault.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:52 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I wouldn't have cared if we got $3 for Kris Benson.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:57 pm 

Colin21 wrote:

I think that's the point. Nobody would have given us $3 for Benson because in doing so they would have had to take on his $6M salary.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:04 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I think that's the point. Nobody would have given us $3 for Benson because in doing so they would have had to take on his $6M salary.

Benson was put on the DL before the Ramirez trade. MLB rules prohibit a player on the DL from being traded. Therefore, the Pirates simply could not trade him.

Also, MLB agreement provides that players who are released continue to receive their salary. Dropping Benson from the team would have done no good.

Nonetheless, I just do not believe that the garbage received from the Cubs was the "best" the Pirates could get for Ramirez. A horrible, terrible, awful deal, made worse by those asshole Cubs fans and their "Thank You For Ramirez' signs.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:12 pm 

Not to high jack this thread, but when DL unloaded Benson on the Mets, it was actually a pretty favorable deal for the Pirates. If I recall correctly. Didn't we get Wiggington, Bautista (the second time), and a few prospects for Anna?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:29 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Not to high jack this thread, but when DL unloaded Benson on the Mets, it was actually a pretty favorable deal for the Pirates. If I recall correctly. Didn't we get Wiggington, Bautista (the second time), and a few prospects for Anna?

No, it was just Wiggy, Joey Bats, and one pitcher (Peterson? I forget).

As for the Aram trade, I do believe that it was MLB-directed that we had to trade him, and I do think that hurt DL's bargaining power. However, I think he still could have gotten a hell of a lot more for him, and even if all he could get was crap, he could have at least taken crap from someone like the Texas Rangers so Aram would rub our noses in it 16 times a year.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:33 pm 

Matt Peterson was the third guy. Pirates also included Jeff Keppinger, a guy I liked. He hit at every level and would be an excellent back-up middle infielder.

When Jack is hurt, or Freddy has a day off, it would be nice to put in a guy who gets on base at a .341 clip.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:52 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

No, it was just Wiggy, Joey Bats, and one pitcher (Peterson? I forget).

As for the Aram trade, I do believe that it was MLB-directed that we had to trade him, and I do think that hurt DL's bargaining power. However, I think he still could have gotten a hell of a lot more for him, and even if all he could get was crap, he could have at least taken crap from someone like the Texas Rangers so Aram would rub our noses in it 16 times a year.

Of course Bautista should never have been traded for because he never should have been left unprotected...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:07 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Matt Peterson was the third guy. Pirates also included Jeff Keppinger, a guy I liked. He hit at every level and would be an excellent back-up middle infielder.

When Jack is hurt, or Freddy has a day off, it would be nice to put in a guy who gets on base at a .341 clip.

I forgot Keppinger was in that deal.