Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 14, 2009 Cardinals (20-14) at Pirates (14-19)
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:11 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Tonight though, 12 hits and one run, bottom line.

Did not see the game ... just as well, I guess. Not only 12 hits, but also three walks. 15 base runners and 1 run - not good.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:13 am 

One good thing did come out of the game tonight. Freddy extended his hitting streak to 8 games.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:20 am 

Did any of that great defence make 'webgems' (Iseem to remember that's what they call it).

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:08 am 

I had the pleasure of viewing the game last night from one of the luxury boxes. It was a very frustrating game, as you all mentioned. We kept getting guys on and couldn't push them across. I really think our lineup gets much better when Doumit gets back. I was very impressed with Nyger Morgan and really think he is maturing as a hitter. I think he ran the count full his first three times up and walked on a 3-1 pitch the fourth time. I want to see him sustain it for awhile before I'm sold, but he is winning me over.

One of the guys I was with knew Matt Capps pretty well...they golfed together a few times and Matt knows this guys son, who runs a private school in Atlanta. We walked down to the bullpen during the game and Capps talked to us for several minutes...very down to earth guy. He pledged a signed jersey for an auction for the school, talked golf, etc....said he had to start focusing on the game in the 7th inning. Great time at anot so great game.

I'm going to Nats game on Monday, and will try to report on it when I get back to the hotel if it's not too late.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:10 am 

Rod Serling wrote:
Man, this bullpen just cannot find any consistency.

Tonight though, 12 hits and one run, bottom line.

Add the 3 walks and you are dead on right. If they push across 3 or 4 of those runners, I doubt very much that Meek would have seen inning #2 (if any innings at all) and that it would have been Yates, Grabow and Capps. There was a huge pit in my stomach when McLouth popped up in the first after ripping a ball down the right field line that was barely foul only to be followed by LaRoche's K. Set the tone for the rest of the game . . .

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 am 

Oh yeah....we had a big debate during the game about which play was better...McClouth or Moss. My friend and I (both coaches) thought Moss' play was better. My sons (both players) thought McClouth was better. McClouth had to go a long way, but Moss' catch was on a ball hit very hard with a lot of slice and resulted in a DP. Both very good plays, though. In fact, we did everything well except hit with runners on base, which is why the game was so frustrating.

We have to beat up on Colorado and Washington!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:35 am 

bradf wrote:
Oh yeah....we had a big debate during the game about which play was better...McClouth or Moss. My friend and I (both coaches) thought Moss' play was better. My sons (both players) thought McClouth was better. McClouth had to go a long way, but Moss' catch was on a ball hit very hard with a lot of slice and resulted in a DP.

Hey . . . heed Keith Law's directive: "McClouth is horrible on defense. Move on with your life."

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:45 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

This game went a long way to convincing me that Nate and Freddy should switch in the order. If only because Nate is and OBP machine, and Freddy hits the ball to all fields. I am convinced they win last night with that arrangement if everyone simply has the AB's they had. With Nate getting on with walks, and even hitting the ball hard enough to advance Nyger (*gasp*, sin, productive out)... Freddy would have driven in runs on at LEAST two occasions.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

When Diaz was thrown out at 3rd, I told my wife that particular play as the play that would cost the Buccos the game. Had he stayed at second and not make that out, he would have crossed the plate on the next hit and the score would have been 2-2 at that point.