Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:37 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Checked out JBay's stats for the hell of it.

His OPS is 1.135. He easily leads his team with 9 homers, 28 RBI, and 28 walks. Tied for the team lead with 29 runs. He is 4 for 4 in steal attempts, has played every game, and has not made an error. Wow!

Excellent timing for him to have a career year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 pm
Posts: 145
...just another player who was a great player in Pittsburgh and ready to hit mega-stardom in another city


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 384
Ralphie wrote:
Checked out JBay's stats for the hell of it.

His OPS is 1.135. He easily leads his team with 9 homers, 28 RBI, and 28 walks. Tied for the team lead with 29 runs. He is 4 for 4 in steal attempts, has played every game, and has not made an error. Wow!

Excellent timing for him to have a career year.


Wait a second, according to the apologists on here, Bay was having his career year, LAST YEAR, BEFORE the trade!!!!!

"And we were STILL not going to finish .500"...

LOL :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
You continue to stay in the twilight zone.

No one here said Bay was having a career year here. It was said that he was having comeback year to his previous standards, which allowed him to get 4 players back. It was also noted by same said "apologists" that Bay's numbers would probably improve in Boston, with the protection he would be afforded in that lineup.

The "apologists" correctly identified that Nady was having a career year, and that has proven out quite succinctly.

But hey, we've never seen you let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Hey ZM -
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!


Attachments:
Jack.jpg
Jack.jpg [ 5.63 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.
Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 384
ZelieMike wrote:
You continue to stay in the twilight zone.

No one here said Bay was having a career year here. It was said that he was having comeback year to his previous standards, which allowed him to get 4 players back. It was also noted by same said "apologists" that Bay's numbers would probably improve in Boston, with the protection he would be afforded in that lineup.

The "apologists" correctly identified that Nady was having a career year, and that has proven out quite succinctly.

But hey, we've never seen you let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

ZM



Here:

Piratefan13 Post subject: Re: Worst team in baseball this is sickeningPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:46 pm





Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 792
Location: Bowie, Md I'm going to do this Sisyphus styl


We had Bay and Nady having career years last year and that didn't matter much did it? Plus, we wouldn't have a top-of-the-rotation starter prospect(Morris) in the minors, nor a quality 3rd baseman in Laroche either.



There. No Twilight Zone here Mike, just facts.


Last edited by Rod Serling on Tue May 12, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
You ever get the feeling that the Pirates are the farm team for the rest of MLB?

Every good player we raise, goes elsewhere. Our hacks stay at home. :cry:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
Quote:
Wait a second, according to the apologists on here, Bay was having his career year, LAST YEAR, BEFORE the trade!!!!!


You pull one quote, this year, from one poster? Ignoring a whole body of work? I suspected as much.

Come out of the Twilight Zone and try again.


ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:12 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 384
ZelieMike wrote:
Quote:
Wait a second, according to the apologists on here, Bay was having his career year, LAST YEAR, BEFORE the trade!!!!!


You pull one quote, this year, from one poster? Ignoring a whole body of work? I suspected as much.

Come out of the Twilight Zone and try again.


ZM


I don't need to "try again".

You said, "nobody here said Bay had a career year last year".

And I showed you different. In writing. On a post. For real.

You lose, I win.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Rod Serling wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Quote:
Wait a second, according to the apologists on here, Bay was having his career year, LAST YEAR, BEFORE the trade!!!!!


You pull one quote, this year, from one poster? Ignoring a whole body of work? I suspected as much.

Come out of the Twilight Zone and try again.


ZM


I don't need to "try again".

You said, "nobody here said Bay had a career year last year".

And I showed you different. In writing. On a post. For real.

You lose, I win.


Last time I checked . . . "apologists" is plural - meaning more than one. You said "apologists." Keep searching.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 am
Posts: 105
I was a huge fan when he was here and I think I'll always be a huge Bay fan. So glad to see him having that success!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
I'm very happy for him too. But let's all remember that he has always been a streak hitter. When hot he is very hot. Let's see if it lasts.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Substitute2 wrote:
I'm very happy for him too. But let's all remember that he has always been a streak hitter. When hot he is very hot. Let's see if it lasts.


Also remember this is his contract year and the Red Sox said they weren't going to re-sign him.

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 am
Posts: 105
Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:
I'm very happy for him too. But let's all remember that he has always been a streak hitter. When hot he is very hot. Let's see if it lasts.


Also remember this is his contract year and the Red Sox said they weren't going to re-sign him.


GREAT point, Colin.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:
I'm very happy for him too. But let's all remember that he has always been a streak hitter. When hot he is very hot. Let's see if it lasts.


Also remember this is his contract year and the Red Sox said they weren't going to re-sign him.


Sure seems they were in talks with him over the offseason about signing an extension but couldnt come to terms...


http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/pro ... 94ef3.html

Quote:
Talks on a contract extension for Jason Bay have broken down, with both sides too far apart because of the uncertain effects of the economy on player values.


Quote:
Bay signed a four-year, $18.75 million contract with Pittsburgh three years ago. When he was traded to Boston, he quickly accliamated, and he said he has become comfortable here. He hopes to stay and join the young core of players Boston has recently signed to long-term deals, including Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, and on Sunday, Jon Lester.

Both sides said they would be open to midseason talks if the economy were to stabilze.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Sure seems they were in talks with him over the offseason about signing an extension but couldnt come to terms...


Thats right and a great season for Bay will make the Red Sox price go up to the range of where Bay wants it.

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:50 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Here is Bay's OPS since he became a regular:

04 .907
05 .967
06 .928
07 .746
08 .895
09 1.097

So his "career year" so far was in '05. He had a down year in '07 and a bounceback, but not career, year in '08.

I hope he stays hot, has his career year this year, and breaks the bank with his new contract, regardless of who signs him.

The Pirates could have kept him for this year, but they were not going to resign him. Call that a salary dump if you like, but they weren't going to win anything, with or without him. Moss, LaRoche, Hansen, and Morris, while nowhere near the caliber of player that Bay is, may help us win in coming years, which is something Bay was not going to do.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
Remember also, Bay was no where near the player that Bay is, when Bay got here.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10719
ZelieMike wrote:
Remember also, Bay was no where near the player that Bay is, when Bay got here.

ZM

Fair point. But he was pretty darn good, even in his brief first season. A lot of K's, but also a ton of walks and power.

By his first full season, he was a very, very good hitter and became the first Pirate ever to win rookie of the year. By his second full season, he was one of the more feared hitters in the NL.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jason Bay En Fuego
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
Yep, but more to my (obscure) point. Bay was not considered "That" kind of prospect when he came over in the trade. I daresay that AndyLaR value is considered higher as a prospect than Bay's was when he came. I would point out the same of Giles who was consdered to be a "nice" player who would hit .280 for you with some power.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], JollyRoger, Rotten_Scoundrel and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits