Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smizik Is At It Again
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:42 pm 

He's opening the door to start the conspiracy that the team sat Freddy Sunday because the team doesnt want to pick up his option by having him miss getting his 600 at bats...

Cant wait to hear some thoughts on this...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... x#comments

Quote:
One way to assure Sanchez does not play enough to earn that contract is to rest him at an abnormal rate. I’m not suggesting this is what Russell and the Pirates are doing, but by the nature of this illogical move, without reasonable explanation, they are leaving the door wide open for such speculation.

Quote:
Makes no sense -- unless he and his bosses tying to make certain Sanchez doesn’t get that $8.5 million contract in 2010.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Smizik Is At It Again
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:02 pm 

Sanchez has played in 28 out of 31 games. He has already logged 128 plate appearances. At this rate, even with the supposedly "abnormal" rest, he is on pace to play 146 games and register 627 at bats, and 669 plate appearances.

So, the facts disprove the claim. But what the hell - facts should never stand in the way of a good story.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 pm 

An illogical move to give a veteran player a day off before a scheduled day off? The only thing illogical here is Smizik's use of logic.

But then, I'm pretty sure he thinks Nutting was behind the grassy knoll in Dallas.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:32 pm 

Smizik is the biggest idiot i know. Freddy got a routine day off, plus he is still sore from his shoulder injury. Smizik shouldn't even be allowed to comment on baseball anymore. He knows nothing about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:52 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Smizik is the biggest idiot i know. Freddy got a routine day off, plus he is still sore from his shoulder injury. Smizik shouldn't even be allowed to comment on baseball anymore. He knows nothing about it.

Maybe you can explain why Freddy has had 5 days off in the last 15 days (3 games and 2 days off), and why he says his shoulder is "better than 100%". Smizik may be an idiot or not...I don't read him every day...but he MAY not be far off this time. Taking your "best" hitter out of the lineup 3 times in 2 weeks while leaving two guys hitting .150 and one in a 1 for 28 slump in the lineup?? No wonder we are losing.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 am 

Thunder wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Maybe you can explain why Freddy has had 5 days off in the last 15 days (3 games and 2 days off), and why he says his shoulder is "better than 100%". Smizik may be an idiot or not...I don't read him every day...but he MAY not be far off this time. Taking your "best" hitter out of the lineup 3 times in 2 weeks while leaving two guys hitting .150 and one in a 1 for 28 slump in the lineup?? No wonder we are losing.

I think its a lie when Freddy says his shoulder is "better than 100%". It can't be true, and that has to be the reason why. Has anybody ever seen Smizik on the Sunday Sports Showdown on KDKA because he will make you hate him more on there than you can from reading he dumb articles.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:22 pm 

Regardless of Smizik's credibility or one's opinion about him, I think questioning the Pirate's motives for sitting Sanchez is more than warranted. I'm not saying they are definitely doing it because of his contract stipulation, but I'm a tad suspicious.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:31 pm 

Alexandria Dukes wrote:
Regardless of Smizik's credibility or one's opinion about him, I think questioning the Pirate's motives for sitting Sanchez is more than warranted. I'm not saying they are definitely doing it because of his contract stipulation, but I'm a tad suspicious.

Ditto. Considering the offensive offense we've had, sitting your best hitter to date is questionable. Especially when he says he feels better than 100%.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:04 pm 

Anyone who makes excuses and apologies for the Pirate Front Office and ownership, will naturally hate Smizik, Cook, and everyone else who tells the truth about them.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:22 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Anyone who makes excuses and apologies for the Pirate Front Office and ownership, will naturally hate Smizik, Cook, and everyone else who tells the truth about them.

I don't hate Cook, Smizik is in a league of his own for stupidity.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:03 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:

And one should be inherently suspicious of anyone claiming to always be spouting the "truth." At least in my life experience, those who constantly proclaim their beliefs to be the "truth" are some of the most close-minded people that I have ever met. The people that I have found to be the best advocates and offer the most compelling arguments allow their statements to stand and speak for themselves and do not feel compelled to label their comments as being the "truth." They allow others to think for themselves and to reach conclusions based upon the strength or weakness of their particular comments as opposed to trying to jam something artificially labeled as "the truth" down your throat.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:17 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

And one should be inherently suspicious of anyone claiming to always be spouting the "truth." At least in my life experience, those who constantly proclaim their beliefs to be the "truth" are some of the most close-minded people that I have ever met. The people that I have found to be the best advocates and offer the most compelling arguments allow their statements to stand and speak for themselves and do not feel compelled to label their comments as being the "truth." They allow others to think for themselves and to reach conclusions based upon the strength or weakness of their particular comments as opposed to trying to jam something artificially labeled as "the truth" down your throat.

And in the "life experience" of those in the REAL WORLD, when a franchise loses for a record 17 straight years, with an owner pocketing enormous profits, routinely trading away his best players at the all star break for career minor leaguers, and lying to his fans about it; those in the REAL WORLD regard anyone supporting such an ownership as either insane, or dilusional.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Rod Serling wrote:
And in the "life experience" of those in the REAL WORLD, when a franchise loses for a record 17 straight years, with an owner pocketing enormous profits, routinely trading away his best players at the all star break for career minor leaguers, and lying to his fans about it; those in the REAL WORLD regard anyone supporting such an ownership as either insane, or dilusional.

Can you show us those "enormous profits"? I mean, even Forbes does not have access to the MLB books. You have?

I didn't realize that Bay and Nady were career minor leaguers? You? Since when?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
dilusional.

Didn't you complain about someone else's spelling recently?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
dilusional.

Heh. He's just flustered by Moss going 3-4 with a 2 run homer. Such an event threatens his entire world view.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:54 am 

Coonelly responded to the Freddy situation...

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09133/969629-63.stm

Quote:
The Pirates did not bench second baseman Freddy Sanchez twice last week to hold down his plate appearances and keep him from triggering an $8.5 million vesting option for 2010, team president Frank Coonelly said last night.

And Coonelly made plenty clear his displeasure at being asked about it by the Post-Gazette.

"I am very surprised and, quite frankly, offended that anyone would suggest that, in the middle of our worst slump in his tenure as a major league manager, John Russell would do anything other than put out the lineup he believes gives us the best chance to win the most baseball games," Coonelly said, referring to the eight-game losing streak the Pirates carried into last night. "A player's contractual clause has no bearing on J.R.'s lineup or player usage."

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 pm 

I'd like to know how the question was posed to Coonelly and who posed the question or whether Coonelly was simply responding to Smizik's column.
I'm guessing that DK would ask "do you have any comment on the suggestion by Smizik that Sanchez's sitting out is related to his contract situation" as opposed to "is Sanchez sitting out in an effort to avoid triggering his contractual option clause."
I'm also guessing that DK's effectiveness as a beat writer involves walking a very thin line when asking questions of those that he must see and with whom he must deal on a daily basis. It seems to me that DK is far too intelligent to ask a purposefully provocative question that would undoubtedly rankle Coonelly.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:36 pm 

Freddy's Agent speaks out...

Quote:
Paul Cobbe, agent for second baseman Freddy Sanchez, yesterday responded to Pirates president Frank Coonelly's explanation for why his client -- whose contract has an $8.5 million vesting option for 2010 if makes 635 plate appearances this year, or 600 plate appearances plus an All-Star berth -- was benched twice in four games last week.

Among Coonelly's comments was that he was "offended" anyone would think manager John Russell "would do anything other than put out the lineup that he believes gives us the best chance to win the most baseball games."

"I agree with Frank that the Pirates have a much better chance of winning with Freddy in the lineup," Cobbe responded. "He's in the best shape of his life, hitting doubles, stealing bases, doing a lot of good things. Depending on how the vesting option works out, Freddy can make a strong case for why the Pirates should want him to be there in 2010."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09134/970025-63.stm

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
dilusional.

Heh. He's just flustered by Moss going 3-4 with a 2 run homer. Such an event threatens his entire world view.

Moss has a batting average below .250. He's had two good hitting games in a row.

I'm glad he's hitting the baseball better, and I hope he continues it!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:33 pm 

Smizik wont give it a rest...

I guess he thinks Freddy should never get a day off...

Someone needs to take his blogging privledges away from him...

Quote:
When it was broached to Pirates president Frank Coonelly this week that there was some suspicion about the Pirates decision to begin giving unusual amounts of rest to second baseman Freddy Sanchez, and that the strategy might have something to do with saving money for the franchise, Coonelly became mightily annoyed.

What he pretty much said was this: How dare anyone question the motives of the Pirates.

Coonelly is either being naïve or disingenuous. There are plenty of reasons to question the motives of the Pirates, particularly when it comes to spending money.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... nelly.aspx