Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worst team in baseball this is sickening
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:36 pm 

to even watch. I give up with them, russell is a joke, bullpen is a joke, offense is a joke. once again the laughing stock of baseball.

Post subject: Re: Worst team in baseball this is sickening
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:18 pm 

But what about our Baseball Academy in the Dominican?

And "The Best Management Team in Baseball"?

And "A Better Hitting lineup than last year"?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:49 pm 

Could sure use Jason Bay right now. I didn't like those trades in the first place.

That being said, although it is sickening to watch.....I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet. We're only into the season 30 some games out of 162? A long, long way to go.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:07 am 

It's sooo discouraging watching what this team has become.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:11 am 

Then stop watching.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:02 am 

Willton wrote:
Then stop watching.

It's kinda like a car wreck. You don't want to watch but it is like you have to. No matter what i will watch every game, but after 95 or so of them i will say to myself "that was a total waste of time".

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 am 

Pathetic.

I'll still watch and think that at some point they will win 6 or 7 in a row.
Wait until next year.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:38 am 

Quote:
Wait until next year.

Hey i think i remember hearing that in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, not in 2001 because people starting giving up hope then, but it returned in 2002 and continued to the present day. Fast foward three years and we are saying the same thing. I'm just hoping for a .500 season before we 20 straight season under .500 :(

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:01 am 

If you all dont like it, watch something else or follow another team...

The Pirates dont have you by the balls forcing you to follow them...

I will say this again...WHO CARES ABOUT 17 STRAIGHT LOSING SEASONS...Its just a number, there are sports franchises that are more poorly ran than the Pirates, and the only reason they arent close to that number is they sold the farm on making a run at 1 or 2 seasons of .500, then retreated back to crap...

You people are acting like there are tons of options to plug in where the Major League team is struggling...Theres talent in the minors now, but some if it is still not ready, and some of the people on the Major League roster still need playing time to prove themselves...

Some of you are fair-weather fans, as long as they're winning its ok, but they start losing lets blame the ownership on being cheap, lets blame Sid Bream, lets blame the bobbleheads...STUPID!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
If you all dont like it, watch something else or follow another team...

The Pirates dont have you by the balls forcing you to follow them...

I will say this again...WHO CARES ABOUT 17 STRAIGHT LOSING SEASONS...Its just a number, there are sports franchises that are more poorly ran than the Pirates, and the only reason they arent close to that number is they sold the farm on making a run at 1 or 2 seasons of .500, then retreated back to crap...

You people are acting like there are tons of options to plug in where the Major League team is struggling...Theres talent in the minors now, but some if it is still not ready, and some of the people on the Major League roster still need playing time to prove themselves...

Some of you are fair-weather fans, as long as they're winning its ok, but they start losing lets blame the ownership on being cheap, lets blame Sid Bream, lets blame the bobbleheads...STUPID!!!

I consider myself middle of the road. I have not bashed ownership, although I think it still leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't mind the trades, although I think the Bay trade was weak in that they didn't get one sure thing back. But I don't understand how you can say to any long time Pirate fan "Who cares about 17 straight losing seasons". What?? Who cares? I would hope all Pirate fans do. Why is it so wrong for a Pirate fan to make the statement that it is discouraging to watch this team. Why tell them not to watch. I still love to watch every game I can. But guess what...IT'S DARN DISCOURAGING!! Doesn't mean I'm not still rooting like hell for them, and it also doesn't mean I don't realize the situation with new management,etc. But I have no idea why someone can't make a simple statement like that without being told to stop watching. And it sure doesn't make me a fair weather fan...THAT IS STUPID!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:58 pm 

I understand the 17 straight years of losing, but this organization cant be fixed entirely into a contending team in 2 years...Thats what I mean by I dont care, I dont want to see management trying to make a run at .500 and ruining the chances of having a steady product in place full of depth and able to compete year in and year out...It would be like buying a care that has a broken transmission, the engine has a few knocks in it, and the tires are bald and all you are concerned about is putting in a kick-ass stereo and having a cool paint scheme, the the car still runs like shit...

The Bay trade didnt not bring in proven pieces but two of them are high prospects and the other two have a good chance of being good role players...LaRoche has played some pretty good ball lately, probably the 3rd best player on the team...Its definitely more than if he had stayed in 2009...Jason Bay in 2009 would not have won the Pirates 82 games...It was no salary dump...

If you are discouraged and disappointed with this team and dont like the way things are ran, there are other teams to watch...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:00 pm 

Just be thankful that, unlike the British Football (Soccer) League, the MLB is not split into different levels. As season end approaches, several teams are facing demotion to a lower league.
They may have huge payrolls not sustainable at the lower level. They will definitely have fans who don't appreciate the downward spiral, but nonetheless will carry on with their support. Unless, of course, they are of the fair-weather variety.
It's a tribal thing. Obviously not as much fun to be on the losing side, but you don't (or can't) switch allegiance.
Within that framework it's OK to complain about perceived deficiencies but not to berate those who maintain their blind devotion.
I despise those of you who post to this board just to denigrate those who choose to follow their team regardless..

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:08 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
If you are discouraged and disappointed with this team and dont like the way things are ran, there are other teams to watch...

I have been a Pirate fan my whole life, and root as hard as anyone I know for all of my favorite teams. I am the true definition of a fanatic. Therefore, I am allowed to be discouraged with them. I DO understand that Huntington and company can't fix 17 years with one swipe of the magic wand. My point is that I hate when someone simply states that it is disappointing, or discouraging, or whatever verb you want to stick in there and they are automatically told to stop watching, or that they are a fair weather fan. Doesn't make sense. If you aren't discouraged with the current product there is something wrong.

And I personally have never stated the trades were a salary dump. I get what they are doing.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm 

Most of us love the Pittsburgh Pirates.

However, There is a Tiny fringe minority who love Nutting, Coonely, and Huntingdon, more than they love the Pirates.

It is this minority that gets so upset when the real fans post about being discouraged by all the losing.

It is this minority that tells the majority of us to "stop watching then".

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I have been a Pirate fan my whole life, and root as hard as anyone I know for all of my favorite teams. I am the true definition of a fanatic. Therefore, I am allowed to be discouraged with them. I DO understand that Huntington and company can't fix 17 years with one swipe of the magic wand. My point is that I hate when someone simply states that it is disappointing, or discouraging, or whatever verb you want to stick in there and they are automatically told to stop watching, or that they are a fair weather fan. Doesn't make sense. If you aren't discouraged with the current product there is something wrong.

And I personally have never stated the trades were a salary dump. I get what they are doing.

I am pretty sure PP that comments weren't directed at you. I am sure everyone on this board is every bit as frustrated as you are. That is wholly not the point. The point is that most of us are tired of the baseless rants and tired of the complaints about Nutting. Nobody here said that we are happy with the Pirates losing, but we, like you, understand the direction the PBC has taken and we are willing to see it through. Nad69dan most assuredly was targeting those that are not willing to see the plan through, not willing to allow the depth of the organization make its way to the ML level, and consistently blame the wrong people for the state of the franchise. There is a list of names that contributed to the this deliquency and Littlefield, Bonifay, and McClatchy head that list up. As far as McClatchy goes, its hard to be completely upset with him considering he is the reason we still have a team here in Pittsburgh and the reason we have the nice ballpark.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:01 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I am pretty sure PP that comments weren't directed at you. I am sure everyone on this board is every bit as frustrated as you are. That is wholly not the point. The point is that most of us are tired of the baseless rants and tired of the complaints about Nutting. Nobody here said that we are happy with the Pirates losing, but we, like you, understand the direction the PBC has taken and we are willing to see it through. Nad69dan most assuredly was targeting those that are not willing to see the plan through, not willing to allow the depth of the organization make its way to the ML level, and consistently blame the wrong people for the state of the franchise. There is a list of names that contributed to the this deliquency and Littlefield, Bonifay, and McClatchy head that list up. As far as McClatchy goes, its hard to be completely upset with him considering he is the reason we still have a team here in Pittsburgh and the reason we have the nice ballpark.

The reason we have a "nice ballpark" is so that suckers will have a reason to come to an amusement park even though management puts a pathetic product on the field.

And yes, it is Nuttings' fault: He is the one constant thing overriding all of the losing for more than ten years.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:02 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Most of us love the Pittsburgh Pirates.

However, There is a Tiny fringe minority who love Nutting, Coonely, and Huntingdon, more than they love the Pirates.

It is this minority that gets so upset when the real fans post about being discouraged by all the losing.

It is this minority that tells the majority of us to "stop watching then".

What does this statement mean? Do you actually have any idea of what you speak? You are blaming Nutting, Coonely and Huntington for our woes as of now? If you are, you have to be the most uninformed fan in baseball. If you'd climb out from under your rock, you'd see improvements throughout the organization that will in turn bring QUALITY talent to the ML level, not a bunch of utility players posing as starters. But it is obvious that you cannot or will not aknowledge this.

If you are such the GM, then tell me which FA or FA's would have made a freaking difference? Tell me where the Pirates would be today if Jason Bay was still wearing the uniform?

I personally think you care more about stirring up discourse on this site than you do the Pirates. (The previous statement can be just as ridiculous as the one you made about fans that love the FO more than the Pirates)

So now its your turn... blah blah blah about salary dumps, blah blah blah about X free agent, blah blah blah about the Jason Bay trade, Oh and don't forget the insults, that makes it fun to read.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:06 pm 

Quote:
And yes, it is Nuttings' fault: He is the one constant thing overriding all of the losing for more than ten years.

Again you are speaking out of your ass. Nutting didn't take over controlling interest until 2007, previously McClatchy made all baseball decisions, Bob Nutting only represented the Nutting family interests prior to 2007. Get your facts straight first.

A half hearted lazy research uncovered facts in Wikipedia
Quote:
Nutting became the 6th principal owner in Pirates history on January 12, 2007. He has served as Chairman of the Board and represented his family’s interest in the club since 2003.

But surely he's been responsible for the losing for over 10 years... right

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:23 pm 

I have been a fan since 1978 and I have never felt as let down as I do right now. I mean, even the freaking Arizona Cardinals turned things around!!

The definition of insanity: Repeating the same mistakes over and over again, yet expecting a different outcome.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:25 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
I have been a fan since 1978 and I have never felt as let down as I do right now. I mean, even the freaking Arizona Cardinals turned things around!!

The definition of insanity: Repeating the same mistakes over and over again, yet expecting a different outcome.

The Arizona Cardinals turned it around and look at the people that they have in place...Former Steelers, they are following a plan that has been successful for years and years and years, with a good core of players...The Pirates good core isnt there yet...