Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freddy
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:48 am 

Some of you haven't been paying much attention. There are some members who seem to think he is of little value. In today's PG, it says he leads the NL in extra base hits with 38 and tops in doubles with 18.
As usual he is hitting way over 300. He plays second as well as anyone.

So, why the negativity expressed about his value to the team or as a trade? I think he stays and should. i appreciate him as a Pirate.

Post subject: Re: Freddy
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No trade talk from me. Freddy is a valuable 2B for any team. He is one of the few Pirates I trust in key situations.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:58 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Some of you haven't been paying much attention. There are some members who seem to think he is of little value. In today's PG, it says he leads the NL in extra base hits with 38 and tops in doubles with 18.

So, why the negativity expressed about his value to the team or as a trade? I think he stays and should. i appreciate him as a Pirate.

The down sides on Freddy is he has no range, his shoulder issues, and he's not getting younger...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:09 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
No trade talk from me. Freddy is a valuable 2B for any team. He is one of the few Pirates I trust in key situations.

Amen IAPirate

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:08 pm 

STOP TRADING OUR BEST PLAYERS. NOW.

STOP GIVING AWAY OUR BEST PLAYERS FOR MINOR LEAGUE TALENT. NOW.

STOP THE CYCLE OF WAITING FOR OUR BEST PLAYERS TO PLAY GREAT, THEN TRADING THEM FOR MINOR LEAGUE TALENT. NOW.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:46 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

The reason I mentioned trading Freddy is 1. as you said he does have value. 2. He has an option for next year. 3. He is not getting younger. 4. and here's the biggy that some people here don't think about. What do you get if you keep Freddy until his contract is up and he walks? Nothing. Nada. You have to build a team so that you have enough quality depth all at the same time to win.

The only way to do that is through quality drafting, which we are starting to do, investing in the Latin market, which we are doing, and trading off the few quality pieces that have value but are getting older and won't play a part in the turn around for depth that might. I know it's painful, but that's the deal.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:05 am 

Rod Serling wrote:

STOP THE CYCLE OF WAITING FOR OUR BEST PLAYERS TO PLAY GREAT, THEN TRADING THEM FOR MINOR LEAGUE TALENT. NOW.

I suppose you have a better idea on ways to improve the system?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:00 am 

Substitute2 wrote:

I like Freddy. He is a player like Jack Wilson. Great for the team but he brings little trade value.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:46 am 

Willton wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

Sign Adam Dunn!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:33 am 

Willton wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

No he doesn't Wilton... Its just easy to criticize out of ignorance than to have the intestinal fortitude to see this thing through.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but when those opinions are based upon media speculation or lack of realism, it becomes an annoyance. Its the same old same old, a poster comes in and blabs about Nutting, blabs about the Pirates saving money rather than competing, blabs about us trading away high dollar players. It is so freaking annoying.

Anybody with any kind of sense understands that this organization was left in ruins by Littlefield and McClatchy and it isn't gonna be 1-2 years of turnaround time. Its so annoying that I don't frequent here as much because all the good conversation is drowned out by ignorance.

Now there is one caveat, and that is the fact that a few posters on this board may be in their teens and may not have the understanding of the organizational process, they see teams like the Yankees and the Red Sox on TV winning day in and day out. That sure makes it hard for anyone with youth to have the patience needed to see this new PBC direction.