Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time to trade Nyjer, and give Moss a trip to Indy.
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:07 am 

I really believe right now, Morgan can get us a quality pitcher in return, please don't laugh.

Playing hard in the spacious citi field.having long pitch ab's) in a place like NY(everyone watches the Mets) this weekend will get other teams to take notice that he is 1 of the few guys on this lousy team, that put in the mix ON A GOOD TEAM , can play more than adequate defense, steal bases(when he doesn't over slide, still can't believe they haven't straightened that out yet), and just play the game like it shoud be played.
Ron Darling was totally impressed by his all around game, and i am sure he is not alone(even though his frequency of Fo's and K's as of late, is a little nerve racking. Morgan is at his best at the bat, when he just makes contact, and forces the fielder to make a play on him. We all want this dude to use his speed, that's his game. A guy like that is valuable, to a team that needs a jump start, and to us, because he can acquire RealStarting Pithcing talent for us if he was moved. His arm is not the strongest, but it is accurate, and he does save a lot of runs with his quick ability to reach the gaps.

I think Atlanta, Florida, Detroit, San Fran, Cleveland, Oakland would be greatly interested in a player of his type, and maybe willing to part with a higly rated starting pither (MLB ready, of course) in a straight 1 for 1 trade. I am sure every one of these teams mentioned , and a few more, have something the Pirates would accept(whether they get boned on it after, remains to be judged).

The club should ABSOLUTELY trade him now, while is value is relatively high. This opens a spot in the outfield for Andre Mc. No more cuddling this guy at Indy.

The part that i find strange is that these teams that keep guys down for arbitration reasons, usually sign these productive players to multi year deals that knock out a year or 2 of arbitration after the 1st or 2nd year they are on the big club(Braun, BJ Upton, Longoria , and Pedroia are just a few examples of this).
If AM is going to be an important and cornerstone of this team, they will know it after his first 100 bats.
I know right now, Moss has been going through his on the job training, and he has FAILED with a capital F, time to move on with him, it's just not going to happen for him.

As for Mc Cutchen.
I strongly think, his play will take a giant step up when he finally reaches the bigs,and he will have a giant chip on his shoulder from day 1, that will make him a success(or possibly not) You can throw all those minor league stats aside, and give him his shot now.
Guarantee he will do a much better job producing runs than Brandon Moss has. The hustle factor, steady contact , and the speed he would provide, would be a welcome relief that the vicious no contact swings i have been getting used to for the past 5 weeks.

Moss definetly has that dribbler down to first base down to a science.
Another poster mentioned he should apply for a patent .
The guy just not can hit major league pitching on a consistent basis, and i think his total of ab's from last season through now, have more than confirmed that fact.

I don't want to go off on a wild tangent over Moss, he is what he is, a player on a ml roster, who simply does not deserve to be on it, let alone being your primary right fielder and 5th or 6th place hitter.
Trade Morgan, send Moss to AAA , and call up either Jones or Salazar. Platoon them if you must, with Delwyn Young,who i think has talent. I don't see that in Brandon Moss, not on the Major leage level, yet.

This team needs to change, the makeup now is just not working.
If accountabilty is being preached through out the organization, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

I don't know the status of Moss's remaining minor league options, but i think he still has 1 or 2.

If not, what is the worst thing that could happen?, he would have to clear waivers to be optioned to the minor leagues, is that correct??.
Do you honestly think if the Pirates had to go that route, would any GM with a sense of sniffing out talent, would put in a claim on this guy?.
I guarantee no other team would take a flier on this guy, and waste a 40 man roster spot for a guy who shows NOTHING in terms of consistent major league style hitting.

He didn't last year, though he did bang around 5 or 6 long one, but this season , spring training injury or not, he just does not give me any reason he will be anything close to resembling a major league hitter

I am not letting Russell off the hook so easy either.
The more and more i watch this guy , i wonder what it must have been like during his interview process.

Did he just go in there and read from a sheet of paper?
This guy has no emotion , whether they are up by 4 or down by 10, it's the same thing.
He talks about stuff like running more, but how about not going by the freaking BOOK on every base running situation.
There was a situation in the Friday game i am quite sure it was the 8th inning, but i may be wrong on that account., 2 runners on(Morgan, and Bixler maybe,?) Freddie up, 1 out. 2 quick guys, a slow delivery to the mound, and a so so defensive catcher.
How about a double steal ?, . worst case scenario, still have 1 guy in scoring position, no force, and Freddie Sanchez up), i think that was the scenario.
Leaving Yates in to pitch after he couldn't find the plate , after pitching a solid 7th was beyond belief.
I don't care what the matchup is, you can't throw strikes, is just as bad as the ball getting hit right up the middle, you get the same results, guys on base.
I cannot figure out what he was thinking right before he brought Burnett in to face Delgado, but for Christ's sake, we see what we got on the mound, who can you bring in that would do worse, (don't answer that, i pretty much know the answer is anyone with a black hat with a gold P on it.
I wouldn't mind seeing this guy shown the way out of town, won't happen since he is such a great communicator. Guess communicating is his strong suit, since he rarely has anything to say, or has the guts to make decisions , apparently afraid to hurt his young students feelings.
The guys that don't produce, should not play, plain and simple. That is what i think accountabily should be defined as, too bad the manager doesn't share the same definition of that word as i do.

I wouldn't miss Russell manning the dug out. Sometimes you do have to play the percentages, other times you have to go with a hunch or just realize the situation at hand.

How does a supposed major league manager justify his obligation to the fans , and the entire team in general, by putting a starting lineup on the field, that gives the team the best chance to win that particular evening?.
If you say he is, how does a lefty , batting 180 , o homers, 3 rbi's start a game , against a lefty starter?, when there are plenty of other options available?.
It seems he is just hoping to catch a lucky break, so he can give you I TOLD YOU SO look, that internally justifies his thoughtless decisions.
Too bad there is no up and coming managerial canidate in the pipeline. I though JR was the wrong man for the job from day 1, but i was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, based on his minor league track record.
On my accounts, watching pretty much every Pirates game that is available on the ml package, this guy is a mark , who is just taking the hits, and doesn't even care, because he's in the SHOW. Hopefully not for much longer, especially in this organization.

Post subject: Re: Time to trade Nyjer, and give Moss a trip to Indy.
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:34 am 

You obviously have gotten so upset with the recent play, that you want to blow up the team in early May. Time to relax. Go out and cut the grass, smell the roses, put down your pipe, and let baseball move at the pace that it moves. There are no majic pills here.

I do agree that Morgan has to be at his top value now. I just don't see him as the long term answer, and he is not acceptable on defense. Once his hitting settles down to his historic performance, he will have little value to anyone. So, get him traded now.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I agree about pining Moss. Unfortunately he cannot be sent down, he is out of options. I think he is probably doing more harm than good to his development by continuing to play through this disaster.

I'm ready for the McCutchen era to begin.

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:04 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I agree about pining Moss. Unfortunately he cannot be sent down, he is out of options. I think he is probably doing more harm than good to his development by continuing to play through this disaster.

I'm ready for the McCutchen era to begin.

He can't be sent down because he is out of options?. So what?.
He would have to be put on waivers first, correct, and if not claimed he could be shipped out i think. No team is going to put in a claim for a 170 hitting outfielder with 0 hr's and 3rbi's. If Pittsburgh really wants to keep this guy(for God only knows why) they could . He wouldn't be claimed, trust me on that one.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:08 pm 

I cannot believe so many of you are ready to send Moss down to the minor leagues. Don't you realize Mike Schmidt also had a "rough start" to his major league career? Moss has tremendous upside and a cannon of an arm. Just like Mike Schmidt, who so many baseball experts have compared Moss to, he's simply had a rough start. Moss, just like Mike Schmidt, will come around very soon, and you simply have to keep him longer and keep playing him, because after all, we traded Jason Bay to get Mike Schmidt, errr, I mean Brandon Moss.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:17 pm 

palushock wrote:
If Pittsburgh really wants to keep this guy(for God only knows why) they could . He wouldn't be claimed, trust me on that one.

Sorry, but I don't trust you. You were probably saying the same thing about LaRoche the first two weeks. Moss' track record shows otherwise. He will never be as good as Bay and that's what you keep comparing him to. There were four players in that trade so the conclusion is still unknown.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:28 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
palushock wrote:
If Pittsburgh really wants to keep this guy(for God only knows why) they could . He wouldn't be claimed, trust me on that one.

Sorry, but I don't trust you. You were probably saying the same thing about LaRoche the first two weeks. Moss' track record shows otherwise. He will never be as good as Bay and that's what you keep comparing him to. There were four players in that trade so the conclusion is still unknown.

Moss's "track record" shows that he was willingly traded by the best GM in Baseball, has not had a home run since Sept 2 of LAST YEAR, has a grand total of 3 RBI's, is hitting .175 on the season, cannot run, and cannot track down pop fly balls in shallow right field.

But hey, most major league scouts still are comparing him to Mike Schmidt!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:03 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
palushock wrote:

Moss's "track record" shows that he was willingly traded by the best GM in Baseball, has not had a home run since Sept 2 of LAST YEAR, has a grand total of 3 RBI's, is hitting .175 on the season, cannot run, and cannot track down pop fly balls in shallow right field.

But hey, most major league scouts still are comparing him to Mike Schmidt!

The GM gave him up because you have to give up something to get something. If he thought he was nothing, why didn't he waive him the year before or the year before that.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:55 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
palushock wrote:

Where in my rant did i compare or want Moss to be like Bay?.
If you are a starting outfielder, on a major league team, after close to 90ab's to begin the season, you better have more than 3rbi's and o bombs, mainly batting out of the 5th or 6 th spot.
He is not a major league talent, and will not be an important part of the Pirates rise to respectability.
Say all you want about giving this guy time, but this guy just doesn't have it, and needs to find it in a different city.
I don't care what you believe, he is out of options, so be it. NO TEAM is going to put a claim in on this guy if he was put on waivers.
I would defenitely shop him, but why bother?, the return would be minimal, if anything at all, that resembles a pro ball player.
Won't happen, unfortunately, because of the business side. But Moss is not major league material, i have seen enough of him to make that assumption.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:05 am 

I see the OF of the future as McLouth, Tabata and McCutchen with perhaps Morgan in there if someone does't pan out. I don't see Moss as a starter in the future, so I him stinking it up as a starter now doesn't make much sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:04 pm 

Zane41 wrote:
I see the OF of the future as McLouth, Tabata and McCutchen with perhaps Morgan in there if someone does't pan out. I don't see Moss as a starter in the future, so I him stinking it up as a starter now doesn't make much sense to me.

Bob Nutting will have given away Nate McLouth for minor league talent, long before Tabata gets to the show.