Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member Introduction
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:41 am 

In the spirit of Ohio_PiratesFan's post I will provide a bit of background. I am fairly new here too, and it's lonely being a Pirates fan in Boston.

I live in Boston but lived in Pittsburgh until I was about 10 leaving in 1980 for Ohio. I still have allegiance to all Pitt Pro teams (I still have family in Erie and Mt. Pleasant) and have never lost my connection or changed my allegiance. I don't think I could change since the Pirates and Steelers were such a huge part of my childhood.

Two of my fav childhood sports related memories (off the field) are when Grant Jackson came to my elementary school class (his daughters went to my school) and when I shook hands w/ Chuck Noll at St Thomas More church (w/ Monsignor Rooney at the Alter).

As a kid my parents took me to many Bucs games, often more than once a week. It was cheap, kids could sit "where only Willie could hit 'em" for $1 and not much more for adults. I think those experiences are why I can't root for anyone else. I think I would trade one of our Super Bowls for another World Series very easily.

I have moved a lot in my adult life, living mostly in Chicago, Seattle, and Boston. For as long as technology has allowed (7-8 yrs) I have listened to every game on radio on line. I must be really disturbed because I also have the MLB package for TV and record as many games as I can often watching the P's instead of the Sox.

I attend a Pirates series in Pittsburgh at least every year and this year I'll be coming in June. I love PNC Park and am optimistic about NH overall but I have been very negative of the past few regimes.

I found this board during last years draft searching news for Alvarez and I am glad to have it! I think I am already on the map.

Post subject: Re: New Member Introduction
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:01 am 

Welcome aboard. You are already fitting in very nicely!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:04 am 

BB:

You have company in Boston, since one of our long-standing members is Bob in Boston. Way to stick with the Buccos - obviously, a man of dedication.

I would not trade a Super Bowl for a World Series ... the two franchises have plotted their respective courses and have earned the results. I would prefer that the Steelers win their 7th next year, and the Buccos find, train and play young talent until they become a force to be reckoned with. But when I started following Pittsburgh sports in 1970, the Pirates were my team, and the Steelers a distant second.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:54 am 

Welcome and keep making comments.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Great to have you here, you've already been a great addition!