Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back to reality
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:37 am 

Well it is time to start discussing who the Pireates will be trading at the deadline. I would have to say that Adam L, Morgan, Jack, Grabow, Sanchez and..... Hell lets just trade everyone. There is no one on this current team that needs to be retained.

Post subject: Re: Back to reality
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 am 

Who wants what we got?

Morgan is a 4th/5th outfielder on a good team
Adam LaRoche is an inconsistent hitter but good glove at first
Wilson is slowing down, doesn't have the same range at SS and his bat is league average
Sanchez is ok at 2B and he's a gap hitter when he's on, not sure he nets much in a deal so don't expect a lot
Grabow is struggling like everyone else in bullpen so I don't know what to say other than he's a veteran, that's probably worth a C level prospect
Monroe barely made the Pirates, his defense isn't all that great and his stick hits only one zone.
Moss, pfft... yeah, he's going to replace some of the production by Jason Bay... what a joke
Bixler.... barfffffffff
Vazquez - veteran bench guy, good to have, probably becomes the starting SS if Wilson is traded

..ugh, just isn't worth being a Pirates fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:06 pm 

I like Jack but i just wonder what other teams would even want him?
I think it will be Adam LaRoche and John Grabow this year, but we won't get value on Grabow's part because he isn't playing very well. Freddy isn't worth much to other teams and we will probably keep Nyjer Morgan just in hopes that he hasn't reached his peak yet. If Monroe or Hinske pick it up and start playing well we could get something small for one of them, but i would consider us lucky.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I think we are better off losing some of our players to free agency and gaining more draft picks. I'm not sure how the system works but it would be better than what we would get in a trade. Our track record isn't exactly great with trades.

Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:30 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I think we are better off losing some of our players to free agency and gaining more draft picks. I'm not sure how the system works but it would be better than what we would get in a trade. Our track record isn't exactly great with trades.

To get draft picks, the team would have to offer each eligible player arbitration and have the player decline. If the player would agree to arbitration, we would be stuck with them at whatever price the arbitrator sets, which is almost always an increase from their present salary. And, with the FA market this past year, not even the great and mighty Adam Dunn was offered arbitration, which means the DBacks got no picks in return for him.

Would Jack or Grabow or Laroche accept arbitration? Doubtful, but possible.