Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the goal?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm 

Are we trying to win the series this year? Or are we trying to develop a solid team of younger guys who may compete in the future?

How you answer is telling about how you feel about today's line-up.

Post subject: Re: What's the goal?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:58 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Are we trying to win the series this year? Or are we trying to develop a solid team of younger guys who may compete in the future?

Based on what we've seen so far this year...the obvious answer is...C...none of the above. Each game that Monroe...Hinske or Vasquez plays...is one that does not try to reach either goal.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:15 pm 

Thunder wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Based on what we've seen so far this year...the obvious answer is...C...none of the above. Each game that Monroe...Hinske or Vasquez plays...is one that does not try to reach either goal.

Because everyone is supposed to be Cal Ripken and play every game? I'd rather have Vazquez out there than Brian Kixler...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm 

Thunder wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

I would like to build the team using younger guys, but maybe with all this Depth we think we have, give a few of these different younger guys a chance, and the ones not performing, send them down a peg in the organization, to rebuild their confidence, and work on getting their swing back.

Batting 20 x a week against major league pitching is not working for Moss, Bixler(have you ever seen a guy take more strikes, and swing at more bad pitches in the course of a 4 ab game). If you are not going to call up Andrew Mc, which i don't believe the team should, then give Delwyn Young most of the starts in right field.
He looks kind of lost out there, but nothing hours of fielding practice can't change, at least to being a respectable defensive player.

Brian Bixler is not a major league player, not even a back up . He has had his chances, and i thnk this time he seems to have taken a step backward offensively. If he is at least swinging and missing, but he takes Too many pitches, which are strikes, swings at pitches he has no business swinging at, and will pretty much K in 4 pitches or less.
It's too bad about Adam Laroche getting the month of May for the first 4 weeks of the season. A hot start from him could only up his value.
Don't you think the Dodgers would inquire if he was pounding the ball like he was in San Diego?.
He is not in the long term plans, hopefully he talked about in the past tense, by the all star break.
Doumit, when he returns, should be primarily thought of as the 1st baseman of the future.
Just hope the draft goes well, and by next year at least 3 or 4 of these young players become counted on to start the 2010 season.
It's not as hopeless as it seems.!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 pm 

The goal is to play to win every game that you can. That's what you are paid for, if you are a player, and if you are a fan, that is what you pay to see. I can watch "development" in Altoona. When you get to the bigs, you've got to be developed or awful close to it.

I realize that with the present situation it is not realistic to win each game, but I expect the best effort and playing to win all the time. Dig, scratch, fight. This team should be capable of being close, at, or above .500 by the time the smoke clears.

It comes a time when you've got to crap or get off of the pot. Just sitting there for sixteen years is long enough.

That being said, I will withhold judgement on this team until much later in the year. It will be a long, long, year, and a lot can happen. I'm not ready to jump off of bridges, yet. Although this past week has been literally sickening, there are many weeks left to go.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 am 

palushock wrote:
Thunder wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

I would like to build the team using younger guys, but maybe with all this Depth we think we have, give a few of these different younger guys a chance, and the ones not performing, send them down a peg in the organization, to rebuild their confidence, and work on getting their swing back.

Batting 20 x a week against major league pitching is not working for Moss, Bixler(have you ever seen a guy take more strikes, and swing at more bad pitches in the course of a 4 ab game). If you are not going to call up Andrew Mc, which i don't believe the team should, then give Delwyn Young most of the starts in right field.
He looks kind of lost out there, but nothing hours of fielding practice can't change, at least to being a respectable defensive player.

Brian Bixler is not a major league player, not even a back up . He has had his chances, and i thnk this time he seems to have taken a step backward offensively. If he is at least swinging and missing, but he takes Too many pitches, which are strikes, swings at pitches he has no business swinging at, and will pretty much K in 4 pitches or less.
It's too bad about Adam Laroche getting the month of May for the first 4 weeks of the season. A hot start from him could only up his value.
Don't you think the Dodgers would inquire if he was pounding the ball like he was in San Diego?.
He is not in the long term plans, hopefully he talked about in the past tense, by the all star break.
Doumit, when he returns, should be primarily thought of as the 1st baseman of the future.
Just hope the draft goes well, and by next year at least 3 or 4 of these young players become counted on to start the 2010 season.
It's not as hopeless as it seems.!!!

I don't understand why anyone would say that about Doumit. He would be an average to slightly above average hitting first baseman, while he would be an excellent hitting catcher. Do people not understand that replacement level changes depending on your position? It's not like we have Matt Wieters waiting in the wings.

Sorry for the Wieters reference everyone. I swear it was only to make my point.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:43 am 

Thunder wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

I have been in shock all day after reading this. I agree that the answer is C none of the above, but Monroe, Hinske, and Vasquez give us a better chance to win than Moss and "Kixler" do.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:23 am 

I think it might be time to try a platoon with Hinske and Moss.

I'm afraid Moss might be a head case that just tries too hard.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would say that about Doumit. He would be an average to slightly above average hitting first baseman, while he would be an excellent hitting catcher. Do people not understand that replacement level changes depending on your position? It's not like we have Matt Wieters waiting in the wings.

Sorry for the Wieters reference everyone. I swear it was only to make my point.

It's been said here a bunch. Doumit has to be your catcher or he loses all or at least most of his value. I'm not even sure he would match LaRoche's totals(although he may be more consistent :lol: ) at first base. While at catcher he is one of the best offensive players in the league, AT THAT POSITION. People base the wish to move him on injuries. Injuries happen wherever you play. And for the millionth time most, if not all, of Doumit's injuries have occured while doing something other than catching.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:17 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

Both Moss and Hinske hit lefty. How is that platoon supposed to work?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:21 pm 

Willton wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

Both Moss and Hinske hit lefty. How is that platoon supposed to work?

Well, it works kind of like this...people would bitch when Moss starts that it should have been Hinske. And when Hinske starts, people will bitch about Moss not playing. See, it works perfectly...always something to complain about!

:roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:47 pm 

Well, platooning Moss with Monroe might have some benefits. It could get Moss away from facing lefty pitchers. I think they platooned Stargell (with Ramon Mejias???) in LF before he got to play there every day (before he switched to 1B). It probably helped Stargell. Not comparing Moss to Stargell, but saying a platoon could help a younger player.

I think this is a "find out what we got" year. Seems to be working with Andy LaRoche. Moss is still a question mark, and unfortunately we may already know the answer on Bixler. (At least we can use Vasquez at short until Wilson gets back.)

Anyhow, we aren't trying to win this year. That's pretty clear. I think we are trying to figure out who's worth keeping and trying to work with them to help them develop. That's closer to a developmental approach, but a pure developmental approach would probably be based on knowing you already have the right guys. We're better this year, but not to the point where we know we got the right guys.

And, sorry if this post duplicates a recent one, but it looks like the system lost that one.