Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LaRoche, Moss, and Young
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:02 am 

I like what I'm seeing from the younger LaRoche. He is making solid contact and overall looks like he belongs out there. Need to see a little more offensive production, but we might have ourselves a legit third baseman here.

Moss on the other hand does not look good. He swings with a great deal of fury but the ball never goes anywhere. His instincts overall do not look that good. He is looking like a fourth outfielder type.

Delwyn Young can flat-out hit. I would give him more starts. He is still young; maybe they are being too quick to relegate him to being a bench player.

Adam LaRoche has forgotten how to hit a baseball, and needs to spend a day on the bench trying to remember how he used to do it.

Post subject: Re: LaRoche, Moss, and Young
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:45 am 

Ralphie wrote:
I like what I'm seeing from the younger LaRoche. He is making solid contact and overall looks like he belongs out there. Need to see a little more offensive production, but we might have ourselves a legit third baseman here.

Moss on the other hand does not look good. He swings with a great deal of fury but the ball never goes anywhere. His instincts overall do not look that good. He is looking like a fourth outfielder type.

Delwyn Young can flat-out hit. I would give him more starts. He is still young; maybe they are being too quick to relegate him to being a bench player.

Adam LaRoche has forgotten how to hit a baseball, and needs to spend a day on the bench trying to remember how he used to do it.

Wow i pretty much agree with all this.
Andy LaRoche is looking better than i thought he would, but on a side note José Bautista is doing alot better for Toronto than Andy is doing for us and he is playing in a backup role.

Moss is where i thought Andy would be, and thats nothing. I do think when he does start though he should bat 5th, because Saturday was his 1st RBI since the 1st week of the season.

Delwyn Young is better than exspected and his plate patience really stands out to me. He takes alot of walks and it helps him alot. He could end up being the best Outfielder in baseball named Young this year with more starting time. There are some pretty good one, Chris Young for the Diamondback and Delmon Young for the Twins aren't playing as well as they should be. So he has a good chance at that right now.

As for Adam LaRoche, the old saying goes " April showers bring May Flowers". Well Adam's suprise April Flowers have brought May strikeout :(

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:52 am 
 WWW  Profile

DK brought up a good point in today's Post-Gazette...Moss is 26 and Young is only 25 so why is Moss blocking Young? By my untrained eyes I'd take Young eight days of the week over Moss.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:41 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
DK brought up a good point in today's Post-Gazette...Moss is 26 and Young is only 25 so why is Moss blocking Young? By my untrained eyes I'd take Young eight days of the week over Moss.

Does Moss catch that deep fly ball last night that turned into a triple and drove in the deciding runs? I didn't see it live or hear any commentary but, from the replay on Fox Sports, it looked like Young might have misplayed. I'm not defending Moss who has been nothing short of awful at the plate. I'm just saying, offense isn't everything...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:58 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yes, Young misplayed it. He takes routes about as well as Nyger, but without the catchup speed.

One simply cannot give up on Moss yet. He needs to "agress" to his career numbers.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 pm 

Young misplayed the ball on the triple, and there was also a "double" that I think Moss could have gotten to. Obviously, the triple made a real difference in the game.

That being said I wonder why they gave Young all that work on infield positions and then started him in the outfield. I don't think they gave him much of a chance to show what he could do and probably put him in a position where he could only look bad in the field.

Still, it's a fact that he can flat out hit, and he has a good eye at the plate. He could be a really valuable resource on this team if they could figure out where to play him.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:47 pm 

Freddy is hitting so well that I don't think they want to sit him unless they have to. That's why Yound started in the outfield.

Moss has a strong arm but does not look that good defensively to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:42 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Freddy is hitting so well that I don't think they want to sit him unless they have to. That's why Yound started in the outfield.

FWIW, Young is starting at 2nd today.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 pm 

Interesting fact: Since his first hit in this season, Andy LaRoche has had an on-base streak that extends 19 games, meaning that he has gotten on base at least once in every game for the past 19 games. His hitting line has been .318/.390/.470 during that time. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Now if he could just hit for a little more power.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:44 pm 

Freddy needed a day off considering the late flight to St Louis, the 2 games there, then the flight to New York, not to mention his shoulder situation from the other night...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:46 pm 

Willton wrote:
Interesting fact: Since his first hit in this season, Andy LaRoche has had an on-base streak that extends 19 games, meaning that he has gotten on base at least once in every game for the past 19 games. His hitting line has been .318/.390/.470 during that time. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Now if he could just hit for a little more power.

I believe once the weather warms up, the power will come...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
I believe once the weather warms up, the power will come...

So will our opponents' power! :shock:

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:40 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
One simply cannot give up on Moss yet. He needs to "agress" to his career numbers.

I agree. But I do think it might be time to drop him down in the order a bit, to the 7 spot perhaps.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Moss should patent his "roller up the first base line" swing. He can replicate it at will.

Mighty Casey made better contact.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:51 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Moss should patent his "roller up the first base line" swing. He can replicate it at will.

Mighty Casey made better contact.

Sadly, I think that by the time the patent application gets examined, Moss will be out of baseball.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:00 pm 

Willton wrote:
Sadly, I think that by the time the patent application gets examined, Moss will be out of baseball.

We can only hope. Moss has been the most disappointing Pirate hitter this season. (Bixler does not merit consideration, since he was not thought of as a contributor.)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

We can only hope. Moss has been the most disappointing Pirate hitter this season. (Bixler does not merit consideration, since he was not thought of as a contributor.)

Which begs the question...what exactly did we expect from Moss this year? My projections called for him to provide some power (I was hoping for 15-18 homers), but to hit .240 or so. That's not necessarily out of reach.

Further, I understand everyone wanting to judge players in terms of how they are doing compared to expectations. I think, however, that player development throughout the season is just as important. And the only way to do that is to keep running him out there. That's not to say I don't think he isn't costing us games (he is) and that I don't want to see him moved to 7th in the order, behind JJ and AnLaroche, or even that I don't want to see Young get some more ABs. But if we are going to commit to rebuilding, we have to deal with the fact that we will get a few duds, and we will get a few guys who just aren't quite there yet, and must have the patience to separate the 2.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:17 pm 

BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Which begs the question...what exactly did we expect from Moss this year? My projections called for him to provide some power (I was hoping for 15-18 homers), but to hit .240 or so. That's not necessarily out of reach.

Further, I understand everyone wanting to judge players in terms of how they are doing compared to expectations. I think, however, that player development throughout the season is just as important. And the only way to do that is to keep running him out there. That's not to say I don't think he isn't costing us games (he is) and that I don't want to see him moved to 7th in the order, behind JJ and AnLaroche, or even that I don't want to see Young get some more ABs. But if we are going to commit to rebuilding, we have to deal with the fact that we will get a few duds, and we will get a few guys who just aren't quite there yet, and must have the patience to separate the 2.

LOL.

Which ones "aren't there yet"...??? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:25 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
BBF wrote:

LOL.

Which ones "aren't there yet"...??? :lol:

You're missing the point. You're not going to find out "which ones aren't there yet" until you've given them a substantial amount of time to prove themselves. One month into a season is not enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:40 pm 

Willton wrote:
You're missing the point. You're not going to find out "which ones aren't there yet" until you've given them a substantial amount of time to prove themselves. One month into a season is not enough.

I'm not sure Mr Serling is worth arguing with on this point. He apparently believes that players should be defined and a final verdict on their worth reached based upon what they do in their first 2-300 at bats in the majors.