Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And the answer is...
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:29 pm 

So it was asked what we should do with this team. Here is a start.

#1 Pitcher – We need an ace here. There are quite a few that are FA at the end of the year. Some names that come to mind are Doug Davis, Jon Garland, Rich Harden, John Lackey, Branden Webb, and Jason Marquis. These guys are still young enough. The problem will be probably half will resign with their current teams.

#2 Pitcher – Paul Maholm makes a verygood number 2 pitcher.

#3 Pitcher – At this point Snell is looking good.

#4 Pitcher – At this point Duke is doing good.

#5 Pitcher – Ohlendorf , Karstans, Dumatrait, whoever finish’s best this year.

Relief Pitchers – They all suck, so what we got is probably fine. Torres is a FA. I would at least throw him an offer, as well as Gonzo.

Starting Catcher – Doumit – nuff said

Backup Catcher – Our guys are doing respectable right now. I would wait and see.

1st Base – Adam’s contract is up this year. I’m not his biggest fan. If he wants to stay because of his brother and wants to give a discount, fine. If Alverez or anyone else is ready, fill first.

2nd Base – Freddy’s contract is up. What to do here?

3rd Base – Andy’s starting to do alright. I’d say wait and see. One of the minor leaguers may be ready.

SS – Jack’s contract is up.

We have a serious problem in the infield. We are potentially losing 1st, 2nd, and shortstop. As far as I know there are no prospects for those positions in the minors. This needs to be addressed before the break this year. I would like to see them contact the Rockies and try and work a deal for Clint Barmes. I don’t know if we have enough to get him, but he is one of the best shortstops in the game that doesn’t have a position. He can’t be happy platooning. If you could get him you play him short or second, depending on which you can resign, Freddy or Jack.

If you could work a deal that included Torrealba, that would be great, as he’s a great teacher, and could really help our catchers.

Outfield – Nate is a given, so that’s one. I’m not sold on Morgan. I am really enjoying his offensive play right now, but I still think it’s smoke and mirrors, and he’ll come back to Earth. Man I hope I’m wrong. If they bring Cutch up this June, we have one spot open, to fill with either Morgan, Moss, Young, or ?, maybe Tabata?
Someone joked about trading Mclouth, Jack, Doumit, Freddy, Adam. I would be looking at exactly this. Trade for depth. Realistically we just don’t have the pieces yet.

Post subject: Re: And the answer is...
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:39 pm 

What's wrong with Maholm as the ace? Since the middle of last year, Maholm has put up as good of numbers as anybody.

I am very satisfied with Maholm, Snell, and Duke as 1-2-3. I think they are as good as just about any 1-2-3 guys in the league. Better than most. To me, the ace in the hole is Gorzzy. If he could come back close to where he was....

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:41 pm 

Animal wrote:
What's wrong with Maholm as the ace? Since the middle of last year, Maholm has put up as good of numbers as anybody.

I am very satisfied with Maholm, Snell, and Duke as 1-2-3. I think they are as good as just about any 1-2-3 guys in the league. Better than most. To me, the ace in the hole is Gorzzy. If he could come back close to where he was....

I won't split hairs with you on that. Basically I think we need one more top of the rotation guy, either a one or two to push these guys down a notch.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:24 pm 

I certainly believe that Maholm is better than Marquis, Davis, and maybe Garland. I wouldn't consider any of them an "ace". As for Harden, I can't see the Pirates risking "ace" money with his injury history. Also, what is the status of Webb's arm? I don't think Webb or Lackey see free agency myself.

That is why starting pitching is the coin of the realm, and NH is wise to be trying to accumulate pitching help in the minors.

Eventually TB is going to have to trade away a pitcher...I only wish we had enough to trade to get one...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm pretty sure that at this point Gorzo won't return to his 2007 form.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:34 pm 

BBF wrote:
I certainly believe that Maholm is better than Marquis, Davis, and maybe Garland. I wouldn't consider any of them an "ace". As for Harden, I can't see the Pirates risking "ace" money with his injury history. Also, what is the status of Webb's arm? I don't think Webb or Lackey see free agency myself.

That is why starting pitching is the coin of the realm, and NH is wise to be trying to accumulate pitching help in the minors.

Eventually TB is going to have to trade away a pitcher...I only wish we had enough to trade to get one...

I tend to agree. And I think that's why I said trade away for future depth. We simply don't have enough depth to compete right now. Hard to believe Littlefield trashed the system so bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 pm 

Also, one other thing to point out is that Freddy's contract is not up. He has an option year that vests with a certain number of plate appearances, somewhere north of 600 I believe, which is attainable. Since we don't have a 2bman banging the door down (though I hope Ford does soon), he might be back.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 am 

I was talking Pirates lastnight inbetween periods of the Pens game and someone mentioned if Jaramillo keeps swinging the bat as good as he has since Doumit went down, that if he is able to play another position to keep his bat in the lineup when Doumit returns?...

Or when Doumit gets back do you think of moving him to another position and keeping Jaramillo behind the plate, if the team were to trade Adam LaRoche?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Listen, you're talking to the guy here who called for Doumit to play 1b/OF a couple years ago. His bat is good enough for those positions as well.

I view it simply as an acknowledgement of his inability to stay healthy. For whatever reason.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:57 am 

Doumit has proved he can get hurt anywhere, but if Jaramillo keeps playing well when Doumit returns, I want to try to keep both on the field at all times...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:13 pm 

Freddie may well be here next year - and I certainly hope that's the case. But, having Young around gives us some flexibility at 2nd. After last night I'm not so sure about him in the outfield, but his bat (so far) certainly looks like we need to keep him here and get him in a few games. We didn't give up much (apparently) to get him, and if we somehow lose Freddie maybe we're covered at second. And Young is young and we may have him a while. Does anybody know offhand if Young has played anywhere else in the infield? And, how long could we keep this guy before he's a free agent?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:43 pm 

In the majors, Young has played only 7 games at 2b, none anywhere else in infield, and 31 games in LF and RF.

In minors, he played 398 games at 2b and 231 in OF, and only 1 at 3b, along with 1 at 1b.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ung-005del