Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Joba Chamberlin's Mom Busted for Selling Methamphetamine
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don't think he can get in. Doesn't care for the coach either. Former Russian National team coach fron 90-00.

If son is not comfortable with the coach, then he would be well-advised to keep looking, even though Northwestern is obviously a great school. Younger son is going to be spending a ton of time with the coach, particularly with a scholarship being contingent on his participation, so a strong coach-diver relationship is crucial.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:49 pm 

His club coach, who he has a great relationship with, has been great in steering him in the right direction. He is going to visit Ohio State, Indiana and Texas so far. He will visit ASU unofficially to save an official one for another school. I think he gets 5. We will see what happens after July 1.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:52 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
His club coach, who he has a great relationship with, has been great in steering him in the right direction. He is going to visit Ohio State, Indiana and Texas so far. He will visit ASU unofficially to save an official one for another school. I think he gets 5. We will see what happens after July 1.

I believe that you are right, he does get 5. Unofficial visits - no limit.

Those are some darn good diving schools, by the way. No doubt younger son is up to the challenge, since winning both 1 and 3 in the Western Region is a big-time accomplishment.

Now, if we can just get him on the platform. Bucfan's daughter could show him the way ... what is he afraid of? Here is what it looks like:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:22 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Friends and ex-girlfriends of mine in private practice lie awake at night worrying about billable hours and finding clients while mine are "provided" for free.

Like awake in the middle of the night worrying about cases, clients, billable hours, generating business . . . . ? Those are the very reasons that my older daughter will never be a lawyer. She sees what it has done to her "old man." The younger one doesn't know any better other than the fact that Dad gets home really late some nights and immediately grabs a bottle of wine to salve the mental wounds.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:30 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Like awake in the middle of the night worrying about cases, clients, billable hours, generating business . . . . ? Those are the very reasons that my older daughter will never be a lawyer. She sees what it has done to her "old man." The younger one doesn't know any better other than the fact that Dad gets home really late some nights and immediately grabs a bottle of wine to salve the mental wounds.

No doubt. But when I think of my career choice, I am satisfied that I made a good decision. (I wager you feel the same way.)

A whole lot of people cannot say that.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:30 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I'm attending Nortwestern University and studing Sports Medicine and Biochemistry.

I no longer like you. Never met a more unsufferable group of sports fans in my life. The smallest amount of success in college football and they act as though they are USC, Alabama or Texas. Biggest group of "sore winners" that I have ever met in my life.

I know that I am stereotyping and I'm guessing that you don't fit into that category but I'll tell you this . . . there is a reason why wild horses couldn't drag me from being at Kinnick Stadium for the Northwestern game this year. And I'm hoping upon hope that there are very long faces coming from the visitor's section at the end of the day. Nothing would make me happier. Except maybe Notre Dame going 0-12 this year. That would make me real happy.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:32 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

No doubt. But when I think of my career choice, I am satisfied that I made a good decision. (I wager you feel the same way.)

There are days . . . . oh, there are days.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 pm 

He is back on the platform. has been for several months. His new "hot " dive is a front 4 1/2 on the 3 meter board. Hey Bucfan, have youever just jumped off the 10 meter platform? I would like to, feet first and pointed of course.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:39 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He is back on the platform. has been for several months. His new "hot " dive is a front 4 1/2 on the 3 meter board. Hey Bucfan, have youever just jumped off the 10 meter platform? I would like to, feet first and pointed of course.

I agree, I think a belly flop would hurt like hell...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:04 pm 

I wish I could do the "Flying Squirrel".

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He is back on the platform. has been for several months. His new "hot " dive is a front 4 1/2 on the 3 meter board.

Yikes ... a 4 1/2 off 3 meter is pretty amazing.

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Hey Bucfan, have youever just jumped off the 10 meter platform? I would like to, feet first and pointed of course.

Yes. USC Dive Club had a luncheon barbeque and the pool was open. I was talked into jumping off the platform (not by the dive coaches, mind you.)

It was freaking scary. Before I jumped, my daughter - who was 12 at the time and was doing all sorts of tricks off the platform - told me, "Make sure you go in feet first and straight." I jump, begin to lean over just a tad, but made it feet first.

It felt like someone hit the bottom of my feet with a 2 x 4. I will not do that again.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

We had to practice jumping off a 75 foot oil rig platform into the Gulf.

Keep the eyes on the horizon, toes down, hope you live. Yikes.

ZM

Post subject: I Love To Dive.....
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 pm 

...into the buffet at Giant Panda!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:38 pm 

I know of two divers who have had spinal fractures incurred off the platform. They are both back diving.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:07 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
You got the best Colin. Hope it holds up for you. Are you at Northwestern in Chicago? No. 2 son got offered a full ride to dive there about a month ago after winning nationals in Houston. The pool is supposedl to be very cool there. Looks right out on Lake Michigan apparently.

Yes i am at Northwestern in Chicago. I don't live on campus though. I live in Willowbrook, Illinois.
I chose to go there because they had great departments for everything i was interested in which was biochem, sports medicine, and journalism. Medill school of journalism at Northwestern is a great place, but i will say i chose to stay off campus though because there are some rough area's just south of the University going towards Chicago. Willowbrook is great. It reminds me alot of the area where i live in Beaver County Pennsylvania and it has that small town feel, but it is only 20 minutes away from Northwestern.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 am 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

I hope I feel the same way. I'm slated to join BigLaw as an associate in a few months. As of right now, I'm pretty excited.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 am 

Bucfan wrote:

Even though I learned earlier this week that my salary will be cut due to Florida's budget crisis, I generally feel the same way.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:17 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
We had to practice jumping off a 75 foot oil rig platform into the Gulf.

Keep the eyes on the horizon, toes down, hope you live. Yikes.

ZM

75 feet is a ridiculously long jump, ZM. The fact that you could do that jump is a big freaking deal. I would wager that 99 out of 100 people - me included - would not jump 75 feet into water.

Bucfan's daughter would be one who could do the jump. She worked for two summers in China for a "diving circus," doing skits and tricks from 30, 40 and 45 foot platforms, while wearing a costume.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:23 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Then you would really the like the "get out of the helicoper, underwater and upside down" drill... Double yoi...

But hey, that is safety reality on an offshore oil rig.

ZM