Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joba Chamberlin's Mom Busted for Selling Methamphetamine
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:17 pm 

http://www.fanhouse.com/news/main/jacqu ... ted/464098

Quote:
Lincoln Police Capt. David Beggs said Monday that 44-year-old Jacqueline Standley was arrested at her apartment Saturday night.
Beggs said she allegedly sold 1 gram of a substance believed to be meth to an uncover officer for $110 on Feb. 11. The substance tested positive for meth in testing at the state laboratory.
She was charged Monday with delivery of an exceptionally hazardous drug. Her bail was set at $5,000, and she was assigned a public defender, whose name was not on her jail record.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Joba Chamberlin's Mom Busted for Selling Methamphetamine
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:09 pm 

A public defender? Really? Doesn't Joba have enough money to buy his mom a private attorney? Save the public defender for a defendant who's really indigent.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 pm 

Willton wrote:
A public defender? Really? Doesn't Joba have enough money to buy his mom a private attorney? Save the public defender for a defendant who's really indigent.

They're not going to throw the book at the woman for peddling a gram of speed to a UC.

I mean hell, it's not like she's a Penn State Football player or something like that! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Willton wrote:

They're not going to throw the book at the woman for peddling a gram of speed to a UC.

I mean hell, it's not like she's a Penn State Football player or something like that! :lol:

So what? Public defenders have more needy defendants to serve than the mom of a major leaguer. It's a waste of public resources.

[/soapbox]

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 pm 

If Joba's mom was assigned to me as a client, I would immediately set a solvency hearing (i.e. a hearing to determine just how "indigent" she is).

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 pm 

They had to have talked to a lawyer and he said there wasn't much that he could do. It probably will be a probation crime and there isn't anything have a great lawyer would do, but i don't care if i got arrested for the littlest crime i wouldn't have a public defender. I could understand a cheeper lawyer but all public defenders are jokes.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
They had to have talked to a lawyer and he said there wasn't much that he could do. It probably will be a probation crime and there isn't anything have a great lawyer would do, but i don't care if i got arrested for the littlest crime i wouldn't have a public defender. I could understand a cheeper lawyer but all public defenders are jokes.

First off, be careful what you say around here. You don't know who might be a public defender on this board.

Second, you know not of what you speak. I personally know of some damn good attorneys who work for the Bronx Defenders. I'll also have you know that my Constitutional Law professor at school, Professor Edward Hartnett, worked for the Federal Public Defender's office in NJ after clerking for the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals. You would be extremely fortunate to have him as your attorney.

Don't knock public defenders. Many of them could be making much more money working in private practice. The fact that they don't does not mean that they aren't any good.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

First off, be careful what you say around here. You don't know who might be a public defender on this board.

Second, you know not of what you speak. I personally know of some damn good attorneys who work for the Bronx Defenders. I'll also have you know that my Constitutional Law professor at school, Professor Edward Hartnett, worked for the Federal Public Defender's office in NJ after clerking for the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals. You would be extremely fortunate to have him as your attorney.

Don't knock public defenders. Many of them could be making much more money working in private practice. The fact that they don't does not mean that they aren't any good.

Oh i know there are good one, but the chances of getting one aren't great. I would much rather go with a cheaper lawyer then a public defender just because you know what you are getting. I also speak from the area where i live here in Beaver County and there is probably only one good public defender. There are some that don't even dress properly for court.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:19 pm 

Willton wrote:
So what? Public defenders have more needy defendants to serve than the mom of a major leaguer. It's a waste of public resources.

[/soapbox]

Joba Chamberlain is not the defendant.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:24 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
could understand a cheeper lawyer but all public defenders are jokes.

Depends on the PD. Some of the best lawyers I know are public defenders. A classmate of mine, and a guy who is a great lawyer, is a PD.

Look at it this way. Private lawyers will try a few cases per year. A PD will try a few cases per month, involving all types of crimes, experts, and evidence. In terms of handling criminal defense, a PD is usually the most experienced and knowledgeable lawyer available.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
could understand a cheeper lawyer but all public defenders are jokes.

Depends on the PD. Some of the best lawyers I know are public defenders. A classmate of mine, and a guy who is a great lawyer, is a PD.

Look at it this way. Private lawyers will try a few cases per year. A PD will try a few cases per month, involving all types of crimes, experts, and evidence. In terms of handling criminal defense, a PD is usually the most experienced and knowledgeable lawyer available.

I think it must depend on the area. Read what i wrote to a follow up to Wilton and tell me if you agree Bucfan?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:40 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

[/soapbox]

Joba Chamberlain is not the defendant.

I didn't say that he was; I said that his mom is the defendant. And while Joba has no legal obligation to pay for an attorney for his mom, I think he has at least an ethical duty to do so. Joba's mom should not be depending on government resources in order to receive a competent attorney.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:55 pm 

Willton wrote:
I didn't say that he was; I said that his mom is the defendant. And while Joba has no legal obligation to pay for an attorney for his mom ...

This is where the Judge steps in to say, "Thank you counsel, that is all I needed to hear."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:01 am 

Thanks for all of the pro-public defender comments. As a PD, with my experience and my trial record in court, I could, without a doubt, be successful in private practice. At this stage, I choose not to do that primarily because the job market stinks and if I went private, I would have to spend a great deal of my time with the business end of things instead of practicing law. Friends and ex-girlfriends of mine in private practice lie awake at night worrying about billable hours and finding clients while mine are "provided" for free. Furthermore, I am eying a potential run for judge in the upcoming years, and public defenders have a good rate of success at getting elected to those positions. Colin, most of the "cheap" private attorneys around here (and in Pittsburgh as well) are far inferior to the public defender. They will take your money and you will get the same result in court (and often worse). There are private attorneys here in Tampa Bay and back in Pittsburgh that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Finally, in my experience, the main people who are dissatisfied with PDs are people who were guilty of their crimes and weren't willing to take responsibility for their actions and wanted an apology from the court and a hug from the judge for their own poor choices.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:02 am 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Thanks for all of the pro-public defender comments. As a PD, with my experience and my trial record in court, I could, without a doubt, be successful in private practice. At this stage, I choose not to do that primarily because the job market stinks and if I went private, I would have to spend a great deal of my time with the business end of things instead of practicing law. Friends and ex-girlfriends of mine in private practice lie awake at night worrying about billable hours and finding clients while mine are "provided" for free. Furthermore, I am eying a potential run for judge in the upcoming years, and public defenders have a good rate of success at getting elected to those positions. Colin, most of the "cheap" private attorneys around here (and in Pittsburgh as well) are far inferior to the public defender. They will take your money and you will get the same result in court (and often worse). There are private attorneys here in Tampa Bay and back in Pittsburgh that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Finally, in my experience, the main people who are dissatisfied with PDs are people who were guilty of their crimes and weren't willing to take responsibility for their actions and wanted an apology from the court and a hug from the judge for their own poor choices.

The reason i am pro-lawyer is because my Uncle is a judge around here and there seems to be alot of politics involved. I'm not saying with him but i hear of it going on, where the judge favors the defendant who has a bigger name lawyer. I do take back what i said about a "cheaper" lawyer over a public defender after reading what you said because those lawyers can be known as the ones that couldn't make it. But since you are a public defender i bet there are other public defenders that you wouldn't want for a family member or somebody close to you that has got into some league trouble.
When i sued my local highschool( Blackhawk Highschool in Beaver County) because the athletic director threaten to withhold my grades in my senior year in 2006 if i didn't play in the WPIAL playoffs. I had a knee injury happen to me during practice and the school wouldn't believe that it was as bad as i was saying it was. The X-rays said i was okay to go and i went out and pitched, and in the 3rd inning i tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL which ended my highschool career. The original injury occured when i hit a triple during practice and i went in standing up when the ball was being thrown in. The 3rd basemen acted like he was diving for the ball when i was slowing up at 3rd and he hit me in the front/inside area of my right knee. The X-rays and the school said it was just a bad hyper extension and since we had 2 weeks before i pitched that i would be okay, which i wasn't. I chose Bowsers, Ross, and Fawcett http://www.bowersrossfawcett.com/
I knew the AD Jack Fullen would have one of the biggest name lawyers around, and i won the case and the school had to pay me a nice amount and pay for my knee surgery from Dr.James Andrews http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Andrews_(physician)
I couldn't find his homepage but i found his wikipedia page.

But my point to all this is that i don't think i would have got what i did out the the case if i didn't have such a great law team. I'm lucky that i don't have daily knee trouble because i was able to have it done by the best in the world in my opinion, which i wouldn't have been able to afford any other way. I'm attending Nortwestern University and studing Sports Medicine and Biochemistry. I hope to one day work down there in Florida and i don't know how far it is from you Prince, so you might have heard of it. Its the Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine in Gulf Breeze, Florida. http://www.theandrewsinstitute.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:45 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I chose Bowsers, Ross, and Fawcett

Bowsers, eh? Could you imagine if Bowser was your lawyer?

"I'm here to collect my legal fees. If you cannot pay, I will take your princess as collateral until you can."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 pm 

You got the best Colin. Hope it holds up for you. Are you at Northwestern in Chicago? No. 2 son got offered a full ride to dive there about a month ago after winning nationals in Houston. The pool is supposedl to be very cool there. Looks right out on Lake Michigan apparently.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:05 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
You got the best Colin. Hope it holds up for you. Are you at Northwestern in Chicago? No. 2 son got offered a full ride to dive there about a month ago after winning nationals in Houston. The pool is supposedl to be very cool there. Looks right out on Lake Michigan apparently.

Congrats to younger son, Az. Northwestern is a great school. Going there on scholarship would be pretty amazing. It does get cold in Chicago in winter, however. An Arizona kid would need some adjustment time.

Post subject: My Two Cents....
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:23 pm 

I too have nothing but the highest respect for MOST pubic defenders. Westmoreland county has a few really good ones, but a couple duds too. My biggest experience is that the public defenders really will try to do what is BEST for the defendant. Oftentimes, some paid lawyers will do whatever they can to string a client along, such as fighting when they know they don't have a leg to stand on, recommending spending money on expert witnesses, extra motions, etc, putting on a "dog and pony" show, knowing very well a defendant has no chance to win.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:54 pm 

I don't think he can get in. Doesn't care for the coach either. Former Russian National team coach fron 90-00.