Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blame this loss on JR
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:59 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Maholm was no longer thowing strikes. If left in he was in serious trouble.

He was spraying the ball around a bit against the guy he K'ed in the 8th, then walked the next hitter. He was a bit fatigued, from what I saw.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I have umpired a number of games, involving players ranging from age 8-9 and up through high school games where the pitcher is throwing 80+ mph. Calling balls and strikes is like any other skill. Good technique, experience, and concentration = good calls.

I believe that umpires get lazy when calling Pirate games. Hey, who gives a shit, it's the Pirates. They blow more calls against the Pirates than any other team due to laziness.

Moreover, the mistakes are generally not in favor of the crappy team (Pirates). These are the facts of life. What bothers me is that the Pirates have been completely docile about this issue for years. Nobody in MLB is going to do a damn thing to examine this issue, since the Pirates are not fighting to have more consistent umpiring at their games.

At some point, the umpires are going to have to be challenged about their indifference and laziness involving Pirate games. Until then, why should they change? I know that the popular perception is that complaining simply engenders anger by the umpires and even less balanced calls, but I do not think so. I believe that if the umpires are called out and attention is paid to their lousy calls, they will understand that they are now under scrutiny and will be more focused. Just my opinion.

I have screamed at my TV, maybe even thrown something on occasion when the Bucs get a bad call. But to say the umpires are lazy because it's the Pirates and because they are bad they get the short end of the stick is simply wrong. Umpires are professionals. They don't play favorites. Now I do think they have gotten worse over the years. Calling balls and strikes has gone down hill for years in my opinion, and is very very inconsistent. But to say they are saying, "Who cares, it's the Pirates" is silly. I know, and if you've umpired you can attest to this, that when I referee basketball and am in a 40 point blowout I don't favor the better team because the other team stinks. I may call less fouls to keep the game moving along, but not in a one sided fashion. It's not right. And these umpires aren't doing it either. They miss calls, but I guarantee fans of every team probably make similar assertions that their team gets bad calls. They are right. Every team gets bad calls to go against them. But it's not because the umps are not trying because of the position of the teams in the standings. And for what it is worth...I thought the 2 pitches Capps seemed upset about were borderline. Wouldn't have been shocked to see them called either way.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:32 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I have screamed at my TV, maybe even thrown something on occasion when the Bucs get a bad call. But to say the umpires are lazy because it's the Pirates and because they are bad they get the short end of the stick is simply wrong. Umpires are professionals. They don't play favorites.

Not suggesting they are playing favorites. But their concentration level for a Pirates game is not what it would be for a Sux-Yankee game.

PirateParrot wrote:
INow I do think they have gotten worse over the years. Calling balls and strikes has gone down hill for years in my opinion, and is very very inconsistent. But to say they are saying, "Who cares, it's the Pirates" is silly. I know, and if you've umpired you can attest to this, that when I referee basketball and am in a 40 point blowout I don't favor the better team because the other team stinks. I may call less fouls to keep the game moving along, but not in a one sided fashion.

You do see that this is somewhat inconsistent. You don't treat the teams differently in a blow-out, but you will call fewer fouls to keep the game moving. In other words, you change the way you call the game just a bit.

Okay. So do umpires. They do not have the same focus on games involving crappy teams. It is human nature. It is not realistic to believe that an umpire focuses on a Pirates-Nationals game like he does with a Cubs-Cardinals game.

That would explain why some really bad calls plague the Pirates. I do not attribute it to intentional malfeasance, just human nature.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am 

Colin21 wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Thats a joke saying if Maholm threw more than 90 pitches he would blow his arm out. I pitched from the time i was 4 until i graduated highschool and i can tell you there is a good of chance in getting hurt on pitch #20 as there is on pitch #100. It just happens. I miss i can see not wanting him to go over 110 but 93 i think is how many he threw and that was a joke to take Maholm out at that point.

No to question your experience, but it's pretty well known that the chance of injury dramatically increases with every pitch over the 100th. Maholm threw 98 pitches.

I blame Capps. He was given the ball with a one run lead in the ninth, he's supposed to get three outs, that's what he's paid for.

I will go on that Kevin Millwood is 34 years old and not in as good of shape as Maholm and he hasn't had an outting this year so far where he has thrown less than 110 pitches this season. Paul Maholm is 26 and in better shape than Millwood and he was only allowed to throw 90 some pitches.
But i the reason this arguement keeps going on about whos fault it was is because it was answer D all of the above. It was Russell, it was Grabow, and it was Capps. All three of them had a hand in blowing yesterdays game.

So JR was supposed to leave in Maholm because Kevin Millwood can throw more than 110 pitches a game? What sense does that make?

Any manager in the majors should be able to rely on his bullpen in that situation. It would make absolutely no sense for him to consistently rely on the starters for 120+ pitches and kill any chance of the Pirates contending in the future.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:30 pm 

9 times out of 10, Grabow holds it and Capps closes it...Things like that happen every once in a while, it just seems worse cuz the Pirates have lost 17 straight to the Brewers...

Gorzo was the last Pirate to get a win against the Brewers last season and was the last winning pitcher in Miller Park too...its all Gorzo's fault, he's cursed us!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...