Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Here We Go Again. COMPLAINIG.. about what we already knew..
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:46 pm 

Ryann wrote:
It is called TYPING! It is not "writing" it is "typing".

Basiclly you are just bailing out every instance of stupidity done by the pirates the last 17 years. Or your just admiting you buy into the new "rebuilding plan" every year.

Well i will tell you the same thing i was told when i first joined. Nobody wants to read chat speak like b4, btw, and wtf. Stuff like that. You get taken more seriously when you bother to write it out.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 am 

Ryann wrote:
It is called TYPING! It is not "writing" it is "typing".

Fine, then you suck at communicating clearly with printed composition. However you want to call it, your run-on sentences are incoherent, and if you had a good point, it got lost in the mess of words you cobbled together.

Ryann wrote:
Basiclly you are just bailing out every instance of stupidity done by the pirates the last 17 years. Or your just admiting you buy into the new "rebuilding plan" every year.

Hardly. The Pirates never made an actual commitment to rebuilding until Neal Huntington came on board. Littlefield was never rebuilding; he was trying to win now using mediocre players. He thought that if he continued to appease the fanbase by acquiring players with some notoriety (Joe Randa, Sean Casey, Jeromy Burnitz), he could keep his job. Littlefield went for moves that only looked like improvements because moves that really are improvements for a struggling franchise are nearly always painful. I never bought into Littlefield's "rebuilding" because he was never actually rebuilding - he was spinning his wheels, and the common fan was happy with it.

You fail to accept rebuilding because rebuilding actually takes time and tough decision-making. Instead, you want moves that placate fans but don't actually improve the team, like going after Casey Blake or Joe Crede. Basically, you want the next Jeromy Burnitz acquisition. I'm sorry if I don't get on board with that line of thinking.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 am 

Quote:
Ryann wrote:

That would be "you're" would it, Ryann?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:46 am 

Willton wrote:

You fail to accept rebuilding because rebuilding actually takes time and tough decision-making. Instead, you want moves that placate fans but don't actually improve the team, like going after Casey Blake or Joe Crede. Basically, you want the next Jeromy Burnitz acquisition. I'm sorry if I don't get on board with that line of thinking.

Willton, you forgot Andruw Jones, who I believe Ryann advocated quite heavily for.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

Willton, you forgot Andruw Jones, who I believe Ryann advocated quite heavily for.

Hey after we missed out on Adam Dunn and Bobby Abreu, i also thought Andruw Jones was a good option. The price was right and even if it was a miss it would still have been worth it in my mind. I don't think you can put him in with the others because the Pirates didn't get them as cheap as a minor league deal.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 am 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

No way...No Jones...The Pirates should have brought Tony Gwynn out of retirement, he could probably still hit 300, batting and on the scales...
Then made a trade to send Ryan Doumit to the Brewers for Gwynn Jr and Kendall...We cant afford having a catcher miss time with injuries when we could Kendall who can play 150 games a year

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:20 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Gwynn will be hitting .300 from his grave. Of course, his power numbers will drop a bit.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:26 pm 

AGAIN... I will pose this question to those that think there is a better option than what the Pirates are doing right now. What would YOU do to end the losing? I have posted this question many times and I hardly ever get it answered, if I do, it is something like "Nutting needs to spend more money" or something along those lines.

So before you answer this question, understand that Nutting spending more money IS NOT a valid answer because there are a miriad of variables surrounding FA's signings to include willingness to sign, desire to win etc. So remember, not all of your "coveted" FA's (or even the mediocre ones) would want to come to Pittsburgh.

I am so sick and tired of listening to people blame Nutting for financial woes so please read this from the Pirates official website:
Quote:
From the Pirates official site(Article about McClatchy selling his shares)
The six-person board will now sit at five with the departure of McClatchy, who had stepped down as the Pirates' CEO and managing general partner after the 2007 season. McClatchy was also the team's controlling owner, a tenure which began in 1996, until giving those reins to current owner Bob Nutting at the beginning of 2007.

So if you want to blame anyone for the financial situation before 2007, that would be Mr. McClatchy, so get it right. Oh and by the way, that same Mr. McClatchy is the reason we have a team and its not playing in the Carolinas somewhere and also the reason we have this beautiful stadium that we call PNC Park.

So this is all Nutting has done:
1. Visit the Dominican to witness a scouting program in ruins (Got pissed at Littlefield about it)
2. Fired Littlefield
3. Hired Coonely
4. Hired Huntington
5. Increased funds and buying power for the Amature draft
6. Increased funds for International singings
7. Funded a beautiful facility in the Dominican

So get your facts in order before you go off willy nilly blaming this and that on Nutting. What Nutting recognized was an entire organization basically in ruins, his plan has been to rebuild the ENTIRE organization, so I don't think 1 year is a sufficient amount of leway for us as fans to expect a winner. And please do not compare what is going on now with anything that Littlefield or Bonifay ever did, there is no comparison. Basically, we have to view this organization as if it had started in 2007.

Finally, all the ridiculous talk about who is a fan and who isn't, who is an enabler and who is a Nutting protestor or what-so-ever is all crap. A fan is a fan is a fan, entitled to his/her own opinion, BUT, remember 2 things about your opinion:

1. If you complain about something, have a viable(that means realistic) solution for the problem.
2. Your opinion is suspect to ridicule and harsh criticism, be prepared.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:07 pm 

Willton wrote:
However you want to call it, your run-on sentences are incoherent, and if you had a good point, it got lost in the mess of words you cobbled together.

William Faulkner weeps at this criticism.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:01 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
AGAIN... I will pose this question to those that think there is a better option than what the Pirates are doing right now. What would YOU do to end the losing? I have posted this question many times and I hardly ever get it answered, if I do, it is something like "Nutting needs to spend more money" or something along those lines.

So before you answer this question, understand that Nutting spending more money IS NOT a valid answer because there are a miriad of variables surrounding FA's signings to include willingness to sign, desire to win etc. So remember, not all of your "coveted" FA's (or even the mediocre ones) would want to come to Pittsburgh.

I am so sick and tired of listening to people blame Nutting for financial woes so please read this from the Pirates official website:
Quote:
From the Pirates official site(Article about McClatchy selling his shares)
The six-person board will now sit at five with the departure of McClatchy, who had stepped down as the Pirates' CEO and managing general partner after the 2007 season. McClatchy was also the team's controlling owner, a tenure which began in 1996, until giving those reins to current owner Bob Nutting at the beginning of 2007.

So if you want to blame anyone for the financial situation before 2007, that would be Mr. McClatchy, so get it right. Oh and by the way, that same Mr. McClatchy is the reason we have a team and its not playing in the Carolinas somewhere and also the reason we have this beautiful stadium that we call PNC Park.

So this is all Nutting has done:
1. Visit the Dominican to witness a scouting program in ruins (Got pissed at Littlefield about it)
2. Fired Littlefield
3. Hired Coonely
4. Hired Huntington
5. Increased funds and buying power for the Amature draft
6. Increased funds for International singings
7. Funded a beautiful facility in the Dominican

So get your facts in order before you go off willy nilly blaming this and that on Nutting. What Nutting recognized was an entire organization basically in ruins, his plan has been to rebuild the ENTIRE organization, so I don't think 1 year is a sufficient amount of leway for us as fans to expect a winner. And please do not compare what is going on now with anything that Littlefield or Bonifay ever did, there is no comparison. Basically, we have to view this organization as if it had started in 2007.

Finally, all the ridiculous talk about who is a fan and who isn't, who is an enabler and who is a Nutting protestor or what-so-ever is all crap. A fan is a fan is a fan, entitled to his/her own opinion, BUT, remember 2 things about your opinion:

1. If you complain about something, have a viable(that means realistic) solution for the problem.
2. Your opinion is suspect to ridicule and harsh criticism, be prepared.

Very nice. I agree with you. I will think about what I'd like to see them do though.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:35 pm 

Geez i just started this topic... :s

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.