Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McLouth...amazing stat
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:32 am 
 WWW  Profile

McLouth has exactly ZERO doubles this season! Didn't he lead the league last year? He has only four extra base hits...all HRs. Not exactly what you want from a #3 hitter...

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

Post subject: Re: McLouth...amazing stat
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:32 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
McLouth has exactly ZERO doubles this season! Didn't he lead the league last year? He has only four extra base hits...all HRs. Not exactly what you want from a #3 hitter...

No, but so what? He's still hitting for power, as his HRs indicate, and he's getting on base at an excellent rate. And there's very little chance that his doubles drought is going to continue for the rest of the season. So what's the problem?

Yeesh, you make it sound like hitting homeruns is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The problem isn't with McLouth in general. The problem is McLouth is the #3 hitter for the Pirates and his stats aren't what a #3 hitter's stats should be. I'm not going to look through stats for all other teams but I'd be willing to guess that most teams have a #3 hitter with more then 4 extra base hits. That isn't exactly hitting for power.

Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 pm 

One thing that always frustrates me about the beginning of the season is when people take the small sample size of statistics afforded to them and try to draw too many conclusion. Listen, McLouth has less than 70 at bats. He's getting on base almost 40% of the time and has four HR's. So despite missing a full week, he's still on pace to match his HR total from last season. Not much to complain about in my opinion. If after 150-160 at bats his slugging percentage is still in the neighborhood of Ryan Theriot's, perhaps then concern will be warranted.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:11 pm 

Nate is the least of our problems. I'm not worried about our best baseball player.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The sample size is what we have to work with. I never said his season is a bust. My bad, I guess I thought it was odd that the NL leader in doubles from a season ago has yet to hit a double a month into the season. Geez.

Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:22 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
The sample size is what we have to work with. I never said his season is a bust. My bad, I guess I thought it was odd that the NL leader in doubles from a season ago has yet to hit a double a month into the season. Geez.

they are on you 2day IA!!

well.. i was surprised to to see he has none.. it is still 70 at bats.. and it would be a few points different when he would hit them, and for 4 homers, i am not shocked as well.. so i get IA's message

and if he is going to be our leader for now, the doubles have to come from a 3rd spot batter.. it has to!!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

well.. i was surprised to to see he has none.. it is still 70 at bats.. and it would be a few points different when he would hit them, and for 4 homers, i am not shocked as well.. so i get IA's message

and if he is going to be our leader for now, the doubles have to come from a 3rd spot batter.. it has to!!

I'm glad you have my back Dutch! :D

Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:36 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

I'm glad you have my back Dutch! :D

Hey IA, don't fret. Simply author a post suggesting that the Pirates got nothing for Jason Bay or Xavier Nady and that they were dumping salary and Serling will let you father his love child.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:23 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:

It's odd, certainly, but not a reason to sound the alarm.