Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New member introduction
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:57 pm 

Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
Situational bunting - only if your down by 3 and your number 3 or 4 hitter is up.

Do I win???

Survey Says!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:10 pm 

Hey now I even asked JR and he said I was right.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:04 am 

A belated, but nonetheless sincere, welcome OPF.

You have answered one question, how about a couple more:

1. The relative importance or not of RBI's as a stat?
2. In what circumstances does a batter use a shortened-up swing?

:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:04 pm 

Bertie wrote:

1. The relative importance or not of RBI's as a stat? None as far as I'm concerned. Any stat that can be skewed so badly by position in line up or someone else getting on in front of you is useless. Same goes for win/loss for pitchers.

For guys like Bixler, all the time. For major league batters, if they aren't power hitters, and if the logic is they can hit better, I'm not real sure why they wouldn't always do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:30 pm 

Welcome to the board...

What are your views on Bobblehead Nights and Fireworks?

Attachment:
pnc_parkf_ireworks_1st_nite_game.jpg
pnc_parkf_ireworks_1st_nite_game.jpg [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]

Just a warning...We get graphic sometimes...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:15 pm 

Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
Bertie wrote:

1. The relative importance or not of RBI's as a stat? None as far as I'm concerned. Any stat that can be skewed so badly by position in line up or someone else getting on in front of you is useless. Same goes for win/loss for pitchers.

We have a winner!!!!

Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
For guys like Bixler, all the time. For major league batters, if they aren't power hitters, and if the logic is they can hit better, I'm not real sure why they wouldn't always do it.

Add one to the Bucfan team!

+1!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:18 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Welcome to the board...

What are your views on Bobblehead Nights and Fireworks?

I myself could care less. I will say that they are very affective at putting about 20,000 people in the seats. So if it costs less than what those people spend to put them on, it's a great idea for management.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:10 pm 

Here's my (belated) welcome. I'm also a Bucs fan in Ohio, I live in Cincinnati. Where exactly are you located in the Southeast?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:39 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Here's my (belated) welcome. I'm also a Bucs fan in Ohio, I live in Cincinnati. Where exactly are you located in the Southeast?

Just east of Cambridge.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm 

Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Just east of Cambridge.

My parents have a place in Senecaville on the lake there, I imagine you would know where I am talking about. Pretty area, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the small towns there (Byesville etc).

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:16 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Just east of Cambridge.

My parents have a place in Senecaville on the lake there, I imagine you would know where I am talking about. Pretty area, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the small towns there (Byesville etc).

Yea, my mom lives in Byesville. I live about half way between Old Washington and Salesville.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:24 pm 

Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
Yea, my mom lives in Byesville. I live about half way between Old Washington and Salesville.

Hmmm...if I am thinking of the right area, there's a little ice cream/snack bar type place out between Salesville and Lore City (I forget the route number or the name of the place) that we visit quite often when I am down there visiting. Small world.

Also, do you know if there was ever an airport where the Airport Inn is there on 285? I'm guessing as wide open and flat as it is, there must have been. Its a point of discussion we often have when driving past (because we are apparently very interesting conversationalists).

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:52 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:

Hmmm...if I am thinking of the right area, there's a little ice cream/snack bar type place out between Salesville and Lore City (I forget the route number or the name of the place) that we visit quite often when I am down there visiting. Small world.

Also, do you know if there was ever an airport where the Airport Inn is there on 285? I'm guessing as wide open and flat as it is, there must have been. Its a point of discussion we often have when driving past (because we are apparently very interesting conversationalists).

lol. Small world. The owners of the Sugar Shack (the name of the ice cream shop on 265) live across the road from me. We live about 2 miles from there.
And yes there used to be an airport there. It was a small field for crop dusters.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:58 pm 

Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
lol. Small world. The owners of the Sugar Shack (the name of the ice cream shop on 265) live across the road from me. We live about 2 miles from there.
And yes there used to be an airport there. It was a small field for crop dusters.

Ha! That's the one...Sugar Shack...how could I forget...I joked with my wife that I once knew of a whorehouse by that name.

So I assume there is no radio coverage of Pirates games there huh? When we are down there camping, I always would try after dark to pick up KDKA (back when they carried the Buccos) and never got it. I once got a Toronto-Seattle game on the radio there though- and it was a Mariners broadcast! Go figure.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:

Ha! That's the one...Sugar Shack...how could I forget...I joked with my wife that I once knew of a whorehouse by that name.

So I assume there is no radio coverage of Pirates games there huh? When we are down there camping, I always would try after dark to pick up KDKA (back when they carried the Buccos) and never got it. I once got a Toronto-Seattle game on the radio there though- and it was a Mariners broadcast! Go figure.

No radio coverage. We go ahead and get the mlb package. Costs a fortune but at least we get to see them.