Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legendary Stories
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:17 pm 

10 Legendary baseball stories from an article at ESPN. One of them is about Clemente.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3404999

I think it would be cool if you guys posted any similar stories you might have.

Post subject: Re: Legendary Stories
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:30 pm 

I think a legendary story is when randall simon hit a lady in a brawtwurst costume with a baseball bat.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:10 am 

Ryann wrote:
I think a legendary story is when randall simon hit a lady in a brawtwurst costume with a baseball bat.

Perhaps you have a different definition for the word "legendary" than we do. You wouldn't happen to be Barney Stinson, would you?

Attachments:
suitup legendary.jpg
suitup legendary.jpg [ 9.12 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:51 am 

Ryann wrote:

Ah, but were you there for that? All the stories at the ESPN site were from eyewitnesses.

Here is one from me.

It was May 19, 1981, a tough year for baseball, especially Pittsburgh baseball. I was working as a vendor at Three Rivers Stadium, and it was also a tough year for first time vendors. The Pirates were a bad team, finishing the season with a record of 46-56. There was a brief umpires strike early in the season, then the ushers went on strike (which meant that any vendor who ever hoped to make it into the union couldn't cross the picket line), and everybody was waiting for the players to walk out, which they did 24 days later, wiping out about a third of the season. Attendance at Pirates games was down by 50% from 1980.

I was working the upper deck seats when Jim Bibby took the mound for the Bucs against the Braves. I paused to watch him pitch to the first hitter, Terry Harper, who singled. And that was the end of the offense for the Braves that day. Bibby retired the next 27 batters in order with three strikeouts, no walks, and no Pirate errors. A perfect game with the exception of the leadoff single. As a bonus, Bibby went two for three with two doubles, an RBI and a run scored. One of the most remarkable individual performances I was ever privileged to see. You can find the boxscore at Retrosheet.

http://www.retrosheet.org/

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:43 am 

The year was 1987. The Pirates were on the verge of respectability but still a few years removed from serious contenders. This was an age when double headers were still scheduled as part of a regular season schedule, not just for make-up game purposes. My dad and I were notorious for going to all double headers. So September 30th against the Cubs it was! Third base boxes at TRS.

Won the first game.

Lost the second 10-8 (thanks retrosheet) fielding this stellar line-up:
Cangelosi
Lind
Harper
Diaz
Coles
Bream
Ortiz
Pedrique
Bielecki

Anyways, Darnell Coles line for the day was.....

Code:
Coles   AB   R   H RBI     
        4    3   4  6 

Yes my friends, he of the lifetime 382 SLG% joined the elite 3 HRs in one game club. I believe at the time there were only a couple hundred players with this achievment.

I would have mentioned the Milner Grand Slam against the Phillies but that story has taken on Woodstock like proportions in that everyone who was in the Pittsburgh area at the time claims to have been there! So I'm going with DC.

I miss the 80's................ :(

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:46 pm 

Aug. 5, 1969, a Tuesday night. Pirates are coming off a home stand, opening an 8-game West Coast trip in Los Angeles. My buddy from Butler and I are in the first row of the second deck, just to the first base side of the plate, with an excellent view of the entire field.

Steve Blass starts for the Pirates; Don Drysdale (in his final MLB season) is on the mound for the Dodgers.

Pirates take a 3-0 lead, but the Dodgers tie it in the bottom of the sixth. Terry Forster relieves Drysdale to start the seventh. He gets Richie Hebner, the first Pirate hitter, bringing Willie Stargell to the plate. Stargell windmills his bat and launches one that clears the pavilion roof in right field and leaves the stadium on the fly for his 18th home run. It's the first ever hit completely out of Dodger Stadium, measured at something like 512 feet.

The crowd is in total disbelief.

The game ends up in a rout, with the Bucs scoring 7 more runs in the top of the ninth to win, 11-3. But it's unforgettable for me because it was the only time I saw Stargell play in person, and it was his only hit.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:21 pm 

I was at a Cubs game at Wrigley Field where Chad Hermansen didn't strike out. Can't remember when, though . . . :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:26 pm 

Argentum wrote:
The year was 1987. The Pirates were on the verge of respectability but still a few years removed from serious contenders. This was an age when double headers were still scheduled as part of a regular season schedule, not just for make-up game purposes. My dad and I were notorious for going to all double headers. So September 30th against the Cubs it was! Third base boxes at TRS.

Won the first game.

Lost the second 10-8 (thanks retrosheet) fielding this stellar line-up:
Cangelosi
Lind
Harper
Diaz
Coles
Bream
Ortiz
Pedrique
Bielecki

Anyways, Darnell Coles line for the day was.....

Code:
Coles   AB   R   H RBI     
        4    3   4  6 

Yes my friends, he of the lifetime 382 SLG% joined the elite 3 HRs in one game club. I believe at the time there were only a couple hundred players with this achievment.

I would have mentioned the Milner Grand Slam against the Phillies but that story has taken on Woodstock like proportions in that everyone who was in the Pittsburgh area at the time claims to have been there! So I'm going with DC.

I miss the 80's................ :(

Believe it or not, I was present for the Milner grand slam. We were all calling Tanner every foul name in the book for pinch hitting for Nicosia, who was having a fine day at the plate (4 for 4 with two doubles and a homer), and especially for sending a lefty up to face Tug McGraw.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:31 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I was at a Cubs game at Wrigley Field where Chad Hermansen didn't strike out. Can't remember when, though . . . :)

Before we met the only baseball game that my girlfriend had ever attended was the 23-22 victory for the Phillies over the Cubs. No wonder she has no interest in baseball; the game took over 4 hours. A bit long for a 10 year girl.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:44 pm 

My best memory of a game was the last game I saw Tony Gwynn play...

August 11th, 2001...

Gwynn went 2 for 3, with a double and a home run driving in 2 runs

The Pirates lost 6-2...Yay...Joe Beimel...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

August 11th, 2001...

I was at that game as well. If memory serves me, it was also Polish Night and "Who Stole the Kieshka" was the jukebox song of the evening.

I was also at the incredible 2 out comeback game against the Astros a few weeks earlier. Once Giles came up to bat, you knew he was going to hit a grand slam to win it. Another game that sticks out is the comeback win against the Dodgers in 1997 ending with Mark Smith's homer. It was my first day of my Freshman year at Duquesne and we snuck down to the box seats late in the game. So few happy memories over the last 15 years...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:15 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

August 11th, 2001...

I was at that game as well. If memory serves me, it was also Polish Night and "Who Stole the Kieshka" was the jukebox song of the evening.

I was also at the incredible 2 out comeback game against the Astros a few weeks earlier. Once Giles came up to bat, you knew he was going to hit a grand slam to win it. Another game that sticks out is the comeback win against the Dodgers in 1997 ending with Mark Smith's homer. It was my first day of my Freshman year at Duquesne and we snuck down to the box seats late in the game. So few happy memories over the last 15 years...

I should add when I got to Pony League and into Legion Ball I went from trying to swing for the fences like Cecil Fielder and Rob Deer to hitting like Tony Gwynn and became quite successful...I usually batted 2nd or 3rd in the lineup...Which was funny to see me batting 2nd, because in high school I was a heavyweight on the wrestling team so to see a big guy in a spot like #2 where you were expected to bunt sometimes or take the ball the other way was interesting...plus I had pretty good speed for my size too, which came in handy when teams would forget about me on base...
Anyway, earlier in the day I heard Tony was supposed to start that night so I drove down to see him play one more time...That guy could hit...So it felt pretty special to see someone as professional like him both on and off the field taking his final trip into Pittsburgh

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:26 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
I was also at the incredible 2 out comeback game against the Astros a few weeks earlier. Once Giles came up to bat, you knew he was going to hit a grand slam to win it.

And off a younger and tougher Billy Wagner, if I recall correctly. What a thrill it must have been to be there. I'd treasure that memory, too.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:21 am 

July 4, 1979 St. Louis. I saw the Pirates beat the Cardinals 6-4. Willie Stargell hit two homeruns, the second hitting the scoreboard high in right field. Cardinals announcer Jack Buck said the shot was well over 500 feet. Ed Ott also homered and Bert Blylevin got the win. My first time seeing the Buccos and it was indeed memorable

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:36 am 

Actually now that i think of it I remember when rob mackowiak hit like a grand slam in the double header.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:22 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Actually now that i think of it I remember when rob mackowiak hit like a grand slam in the double header.

I believe that was the day his son was born.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:25 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

I believe that was the day his son was born.

Correct, and he also hit a game-tying 2 run homer in the 9th inning of the nightcap. I believe it was Craig Wilson who hit the walkoff in the 10th.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:56 pm 

One of my best memories involves the Clevland Indians. Mid-summer in the late 60's, three of us went to see the return of popular Rocky Colovito to the Indians. He had been traded away and was just now, years later traded back. It was his first game as a return Indian.

His first AB brought a standing ovation. With two men on, he (mighty Cassey-like) struck out. His second AB was still a buzz of applause, and he made a routine out. His last time to the plate, 2 on and no applause at all, and Rocky hits a home run to win the game. The place went nuts.

That was almost 40 years ago so sume of the details are foggy, but was a really neat memory for a young man.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I've probably told this before, but here I go again: my first MLB game was May 4, 1992. Bucs beat the Reds 12-5 after scoring a team-record 11 runs in the bottom of the sixth. Dennis Lamp got the win....and some drunk thought my high school letter jacket was from Aloquippa Community College.
"Read More About it", with all the gory details and embellishments, HERE: http://www.estragand.com/sports/pirates21892.asp

Also from sometime in March, 2001 in Bradenton. Francisco Cordova started and John VanderWal hit a 2 run HR to center field to provide the win (Bucs won 2-1 over the BlueJays). More memorable to me because I got the absolute worst sunburn of my life during that game.

I was in the stands for the two biggest games in Rockies history: Opening Day 1995 vs. Mets and the Wild Card Tiebreaker vs. Padres, last season. From out in the centerfield concourse, we really couldn't believe it took Matt Holliday that long to tag-up and run to homeplate on a fly ball ,while scoring the winning run.