Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Month of May - Fearless Predictions
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 pm 

All right . . . missed April by one game . . . 11-10 instead of 12-9. The Milwaukee series still smarts but, let's face it, the offense is hardly suited to withstand Doumit and McLouth's absence.

For May . . .
Cin (home) 2-1
Mil (home) 1-1
StL (away) 1-2
NYM (away) 1-2
STL (home) 1-2
COL (home) 2-1
Wash (away) 2-1
W Sox (away) 2-1
Cubs (away) 1-2
Astros (away) 2-1
TOTAL FOR MAY: 15-14.
AWAY: 9-9
HOME: 5-4

RECORD AT END OF MAY: 26-24.

Bucs figure out a way to tread water in May. No unexpected series victories other than maybe surprising the White Sox in Chicago (that's because I'll bring good juju for Sat and Sun's games). June 1 arrives and McCutcheon becomes the everyday centerfielder. McLouth moves to LF. Moss/Monroe platoon in RF. Doumit's recovery progresses to point where he targets a return to team for series at Minnesota in mid-June.

Bucs, Reds, Brewers and Cubs bunched up in the middle of NL Central. Astros a long way back. Cardinals continue to surprise and threaten to run away with division.

We shall see . . . . I know that I'm being optimistic but what the heck?!

Post subject: Re: Month of May - Fearless Predictions
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 pm 

My thoughts are that we will have 2 fewer wins on the road.

I make it 13-16 at best.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:56 am 
 WWW  Profile

For May . . .
Cin (home) 1-2
Mil (home) 0-2
StL (away) 2-1
NYM (away) 2-1
STL (home) 1-2
COL (home) 2-1
Wash (away) 3-0
W Sox (away) 0-3
Cubs (away) 1-2
Astros (away) 3-0
AWAY: 11-7
HOME: 4-7

It's going to be a bumpy road, but the end is looking good.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:16 am 

No. 9 wrote:
June 1 arrives and McCutcheon becomes the everyday centerfielder. McLouth moves to LF. Moss/Monroe platoon in RF.

What in God's green earth do you think will happen in the next month to warrent McCutcheon's being the starting left fielder by June 1?

Do you expect Morgan to all of a sudden become so horrible in the next 30 days that we send him down?

Have you seen this kid's defense?

Have you noticed his speed?

Did you happen to see his awesome double steal on the wild pitch tonight that provided them with a spark and a run, that it turned out, they really needed?

Have you noticed his average is a lot higher than most of the starting regulars?

It strikes me as odd as to why so many on this board are willing to kick this kid to the curb this year for the "next greatest thing."

So I would like to know what do you think will happen that will cause this seismic shakeup in the Pirates outfield.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:20 am 
 WWW  Profile

If Morgan keeps up at this pace, I expect McLouth to move to right and, if they call him up, Cutch will be in CF

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:58 am 

Henry Clay Sr. wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
June 1 arrives and McCutcheon becomes the everyday centerfielder. McLouth moves to LF. Moss/Monroe platoon in RF.

What in God's green earth do you think will happen in the next month to warrent McCutcheon's being the starting left fielder by June 1?

Do you expect Morgan to all of a sudden become so horrible in the next 30 days that we send him down?

Did you happen to see his awesome double steal on the wild pitch tonight that provided them with a spark and a run, that it turned out, they really needed?

Have you noticed his average is a lot higher than most of the starting regulars?

It strikes me as odd as to why so many on this board are willing to kick this kid to the curb this year for the "next greatest thing."

So I would like to know what do you think will happen that will cause this seismic shakeup in the Pirates outfield.

Easy there HC.
I invite you to search this Board for one negative post authored by me about what Nyjer has brought to the table this year. Or last year after his recall from the minors.
As of June 1 (from what I understand), McCutcheon can be promoted and there will be no "adverse" impact on the Bucs from a free agency/arbitration standpoint. From everything that I have read about Cutch, he'll make you forget about Nyjer's defense in a heartbeat.
I absolutely agree that Nyjer's contributions this year have been a big part of the Bucco success. Anyone watching the games and following the team cannot deny this.
That being written, I guess I find myself thinking that the "Nyjer pendulum" is going to swing back in the opposite direction. So much of his success involves hitting to left field that I cannot help to think that pitchers/catchers/pitching coaches are going to react to this in fairly short order. Pitchers should start pounding the ball inside on him and pitches on the outside will become less and less hittable. Pitchers and catchers will start to "lure" Nyjer into going after outside pitches which are not strikes with the goal of striking him out or inducing weak grounders.
I'm still not convinced that Cutch was sent to the minors to "work some things out" at the end of Spring Training. I believe that it had everything to do with the arbitration/free agency clock. At this point in time, an argument can be made that he is one of the 3 best OFers in the Bucco system (minors and majors) and I am predicting that he'll be recalled on June 1st.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:53 am 

It was not meant to be personal there #9.

I was just speaking to a general trend of posts on this board that seem to think that Morgan can't hack it and is only keeping the seat warm for McCutcheon.

Also, if on May 1, the team is hanging around .500 and isn't ten games under (God forbid) like we usually are, then that seems to me they would not want to mess up the "chemistry" on the big club.

As of now, I would like to see Moss get his act together and win the right field job outright, so we can some real stability in the lineup.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:37 pm 

I would let him develop at AAA as long as possible. He has not hit for any power at Indy to this point. With him and Nyj in the outfield together that would give us two of three with little power. That said, we haven't gotten any power in right thus far either. OF course with Cutch and Nyj in the oufield maybe the team could come up with a unique defensive scheme where they could play the gaps and McLouth coulde play the "rover". :o

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:16 pm 

Henry Clay Sr. wrote:

I sure have. Every fly ball is an adventure. Not sure how anyone could think he is a good defender. He's fast, that's about it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:57 pm 

Henry Clay Sr. wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Have you noticed that he's only been a good ballplayer for a month of his entire career? Morgan has to prove that his good play is not a fluke. We've seen this before from other players that have the same skill set (Redman, Duffy, Brown, etc.). Until he has shown that he's not a flash in the pan, he is among the first in line to have his playing time reduced in favor of McCutchen.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:04 pm 

Here is mine.

For May . . .
Cin (home) 1-2
Mil (home) 1-1
StL (away) 1-2
NYM (away) 1-2
STL (home) 1-2
COL (home) 2-1
Wash (away) 2-1
W Sox (away) 0-3
Cubs (away) 1-2
Astros (away) 2-1
TOTAL FOR MAY: 12-17.
AWAY: 7-11
HOME: 5-6
RECORD AT END OF MAY: 23-27.

not horrible yet but the boat is taking on water once again

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:23 am 
 WWW  Profile

cappscrew138 wrote:
For May . . .
Cin (home) 1-2
Mil (home) 0-2
StL (away) 2-1
NYM (away) 2-1
STL (home) 1-2
COL (home) 2-1
Wash (away) 3-0
W Sox (away) 0-3
Cubs (away) 1-2
Astros (away) 3-0
AWAY: 11-7
HOME: 4-7

It's going to be a bumpy road, but the end is looking good.

I've realized an error in my predictions. The first St. Louis series is only a two game series. Let me correct my predictions by saying that in the first series they split it, making it a 14-14 month and a 25-24 record.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Shameless thread bump

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:28 am 

No. 9 wrote:
All right . . . missed April by one game . . . 11-10 instead of 12-9. The Milwaukee series still smarts but, let's face it, the offense is hardly suited to withstand Doumit and McLouth's absence.

For May . . .
Cin (home) 2-1
Mil (home) 1-1
StL (away) 1-2
NYM (away) 1-2
STL (home) 1-2
COL (home) 2-1
Wash (away) 2-1
W Sox (away) 2-1
Cubs (away) 1-2
Astros (away) 2-1
AWAY: 9-9
HOME: 5-4

Bucs figure out a way to tread water in May. No unexpected series victories other than maybe surprising the White Sox in Chicago (that's because I'll bring good juju for Sat and Sun's games). June 1 arrives and McCutcheon becomes the everyday centerfielder. McLouth moves to LF. Moss/Monroe platoon in RF. Doumit's recovery progresses to point where he targets a return to team for series at Minnesota in mid-June.

Bucs, Reds, Brewers and Cubs bunched up in the middle of NL Central. Astros a long way back. Cardinals continue to surprise and threaten to run away with division.

We shall see . . . . I know that I'm being optimistic but what the heck?!

Well now . . . the 8 game stretch at the beginning of the month essentially shot this to hell. A series win against the Astros won't salvage the month but should take a bit of the sting out of several disappointing losses to the Sox and Cubs. For all practical purposes, the Bucs were a few key hits away from having a 7-3 road trip rather than the 5-5 road trip. But . . . results are results . . . and the team is 5 games south of .500 going into a 3 game set with a team that is on the verge of dying. As much as I'd like to say that the Bucs take all three from Houston, I don't see it. I'll give them two of three and see a 23-27 record at the end of May. I'm not sure that necessary qualifies as "treading water" but I also don't see it as drowning either.