Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PV drops game 1
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:15 am 

Heartbreak City. It was a back and forth game today that ended on one of those plays where you think you have seen it all and then................... PV lost 4-3 today in a game where they had chances to open up big innings but couldn't get the hit when they needed it most. A baserunning blunder hurt them and their CFer was fed a diet of breaking balls that he couldn't hit with a tennis racquet. With one out in the bottom of the 9th trailing by one and man on first, he swung at a first pitch curve cueing it to the first baseman. Game ended when the next hitter drove a single into right "scoring" the runner from 2nd to tie the game. However, Mesa contended that the PV runner did not touch home plate to tie the game and the umpire called the runner out. All hello broke loose but that was the game folks. Just when you've thought you've seen it all............No. 1 was told after the game that he would be in quick if the starter falters tomorrow. Got to win two to move on............and here is one for your college coach pitcher abuse stories. Mesa's coach had his pitcher go all the way. I mentioned to No. 1 after the game that it seemed like he threw a lot of pitches. No. 1 responded that the Mesa pitcher threw 174 pitches. I knew he threw a lot but wow.

Post subject: Re: PV drops game 1
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 am 
 WWW  Profile

My goodness, what a bad way to lose! And 174 pitches? What is holding his arm on right now (probably dumb to assume it is still attached)?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:37 am 

(1) Did not touch home plate? I have never heard that before. Ever.

(2) 174 pitches is just not okay. Tom Seaver gave an interview, where he said that he had a pitch limit when he was with the Mets. Most of us don't think that pitchers back in the late 60's and 70's had a pitch count, but Seaver said that they did. His pitch limit was 125 per game. Seaver was a pretty strong fellow, and his pitch limit - as an adult, in the major leagues - was 125 per game. Having a 19 or 20 year old throw 174 is ridiculous.

(3) Maybe No. 1 will prosper in relief. Son has come to like it - he pitches in a lot of games. He is a candidate to go into every game, rather than waiting to start a game.

Son was called on for looooong relief today. The starter was rocked and knocked out with 1 out in the bottom of the first. Bases loaded, one out, three runs already in. Gave up a solid double to the first guy for 2 more against ... got the second out on pop-up, and the next batter hit a squibber just past the mound, in between son and the 3rd baseman. The "blast" died of exhaustion less than half-way to third for a single and a run. Goddamn aluminum bats ... guy hit it off his thumbs. Wood bat cracks and the ball is picked up by the catcher for an easy out at first.

Son threw very well in his assignment, going the rest of the way. He went 5 2/3 innings, giving up 4 hits (three of them cheap-ass infield nubbers - fokking aluminum bats), 1 walk, 4 K's. Gave up one unearned run on a chopper to 2nd for error, SB, grounder, and chopper that went over the third baseman's head. Weakest ass run ever. That made the score 7-0 bad guys.

Crespi rallied back to score 5 runs over the next 4 innings. Son mowed down other team, giving up 1 walk, 0 hits and 0 runs over the final 4 innings. Went down fighting, but lost 7-5.

Tough days for the Buccos of late, and tough day for the kids' teams.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:23 am 

Re 174 pitches ... told that son threw 59 in his 5 2/3.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:33 am 

My question is, why when a pitcher throws that well consistently is he coming out of the bullpen? Doesn't seem like it is your best chance of winning?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:37 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Heartbreak City. It was a back and forth game today that ended on one of those plays where you think you have seen it all and then................... PV lost 4-3 today in a game where they had chances to open up big innings but couldn't get the hit when they needed it most. A baserunning blunder hurt them and their CFer was fed a diet of breaking balls that he couldn't hit with a tennis racquet. With one out in the bottom of the 9th trailing by one and man on first, he swung at a first pitch curve cueing it to the first baseman. Game ended when the next hitter drove a single into right "scoring" the runner from 2nd to tie the game. However, Mesa contended that the PV runner did not touch home plate to tie the game and the umpire called the runner out. All hello broke loose but that was the game folks. Just when you've thought you've seen it all............No. 1 was told after the game that he would be in quick if the starter falters tomorrow. Got to win two to move on............and here is one for your college coach pitcher abuse stories. Mesa's coach had his pitcher go all the way. I mentioned to No. 1 after the game that it seemed like he threw a lot of pitches. No. 1 responded that the Mesa pitcher threw 174 pitches. I knew he threw a lot but wow.

174 pitches?
Personal story here . . . Cal Eldred was either the 3rd or 4th touted pitcher on the University of Iowa pitching staff when I was there. There were a couple of pitchers who were drafted higher than him out of high school but eschewed going to MLB to play college ball. You've never heard of the other 2 or 3 pitchers because they were used to death. They all developed arm problems. The best thing that may have happened to Cal as a college pitcher was that he wasn't the best pitcher (at least in reputation) on the staff and was not overused.
Ben McDonald's use at LSU is yet another example.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 am 

NO. 1 will not be pitching this summer. He has had no more than a 4 week break since a year ago January. By my estimates he has thrown about 150-160 innings since then. This time off was originally sanctioned by his college coach and seconded by us. HE will lift and work this summer.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:59 am 

I am amazed that there is no rule limiting the number of pitches in college ball.
The BBF (in this case that stands for British Baseball Federation) have a limit of - I think - 100 pitches for those under 20. Introduced about 4 years ago after a colts final at which I officiated, and the 17 yr-old pitcher (who was good) was left in to pitch over 150.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm 

ASU's coach, Pat Murphy, is one of the worst offenders. He has few pitchers drafted and none have survived to make the ML's. He abuses pitchers despite having a roster full of them. Then once he gets into the playoffs he has a bunch of extra pitchers who haven't pitched much that he won't use and runs out of arms that he trusts. One sophomore pitcher who was on No. 1's team and pitched the state championship and was drafted by the Tigers has pitched 7 1/3 innings so far all year. Those innings are spread out over more than 35 games. I wouldn't send my pitcher there.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
My question is, why when a pitcher throws that well consistently is he coming out of the bullpen? Doesn't seem like it is your best chance of winning?

That is a point of discussion. The number 1 starter has won a ton of games, and the number 2 (a lefty) started out well. However, the lefty (son's best friend on the team) has been rocked his past 3 starts. I suspect that the coach is pondering who he wants to start in two weeks (bye week coming up).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:41 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
One sophomore pitcher who was on No. 1's team and pitched the state championship and was drafted by the Tigers has pitched 7 1/3 innings so far all year. Those innings are spread out over more than 35 games. I wouldn't send my pitcher there.

Interesting that pitchers still decide to go there. I would not want somebody I care about to either (1) be overused and risk injury or (2) ignored. Those seem to be the choices.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:28 pm 

In ASU's 4-2 win last night, Mike Leake threw a complete game. For the first time this year, the pitch count was put in the paper as part of the box score. 138 pitches for Leake last night.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
In ASU's 4-2 win last night, Mike Leake threw a complete game. For the first time this year, the pitch count was put in the paper as part of the box score. 138 pitches for Leake last night.

Obviously, you are in tune to what ASU does because it is close. I would wager that very few parents are aware of what the coach is doing to his pitchers.

I did not know this. I am incredibly glad that I do. I have no idea where son is going to wind up 18 months from now, and it was not likely to be ASU, but knowing this crosses ASU off the list. Seriously. Why go to a place where you are either ignored or abused?

Save that kind of treatment for marriage. :D Image

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:29 pm 

I know I would be pretty miffed if a coach treated my son that way:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:01 pm 

Have not talked to his dad lately but will at some point. Should be interesting.