Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam LaRoche
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 am 

Just for the record, it's April 28 and he is hitting .300, with 5 home runs.

That thought is for a friend of mine who has always thought he was a bust. But there are several board members who also may want to re-evaluate his ability as well.

Post subject: Re: Adam LaRoche
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

How can you possibly blame someone for calling him a bust before this year?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:49 am 
 WWW  Profile

With those stats I'd say he's on pace to hit well over .400!

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:58 am 

I am one of the people that called him a bust before this year and it was justified by his performances.

He has had a hot April. In previous seasons, he has STUNK for the first 3 months of the season. So, by my math, he needs to have a great full season to make up for all of his stinking. :)

I admit, I'm happy about his start and I hope he keeps it up....then he'll be worth something at the trade deadline.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

This reminds me of all the people who said Xavier Nady wasn't that good of a player. Then, when he had his career year, everyone was in love with this guy and upset that he was traded...maybe not as upset as with Bay being traded...but upset none the less.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 am 

cappscrew138 wrote:
This reminds me of all the people who said Xavier Nady wasn't that good of a player.

I still don't think he's "that good of a player". He's completely average. Half a season does not a career make.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:22 am 

Argentum wrote:
cappscrew138 wrote:
This reminds me of all the people who said Xavier Nady wasn't that good of a player.

I still don't think he's "that good of a player". He's completely average. Half a season does not a career make.

Nady's definitely not great...lifetime OPS+ of 108. Adam LaRoche's is 116, but I wonder what his career non-April number is.

I'd love to see Adam be a part of a winning team in the future, but you have to wonder how feasible it's going to be to keep him around. If he keeps up this production, he's going to command $10 mil a year on the free agent market. It may be too early for the Pirates to spend money like that, especially for someone that turns 30 in November.

If the Pirates are still in it by the trade deadline, they obviously should keep him around. They should pretty seriously consider a trade if they're not depending on what they can get.

I hate contract years, they skew the whole picture. Same goes for Freddy, although it sounds more certain that they will not exercise his option.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:45 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
Argentum wrote:
cappscrew138 wrote:

Nady's definitely not great...lifetime OPS+ of 108. Adam LaRoche's is 116, but I wonder what his career non-April number is.

I'd love to see Adam be a part of a winning team in the future, but you have to wonder how feasible it's going to be to keep him around. If he keeps up this production, he's going to command $10 mil a year on the free agent market. It may be too early for the Pirates to spend money like that, especially for someone that turns 30 in November.

If the Pirates are still in it by the trade deadline, they obviously should keep him around. They should pretty seriously consider a trade if they're not depending on what they can get.

I hate contract years, they skew the whole picture. Same goes for Freddy, although it sounds more certain that they will not exercise his option.

Freddy gets his option picked up if he gets 625 plate appearances or 600 and making the All Star Team...He might get it

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Freddy gets his option picked up if he gets 625 plate appearances or 600 and making the All Star Team...He might get it

Not if he's traded. ;)