Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 26, 2009 Pirates (10-7) at Padres (10-7)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:35 pm 

Jake Peavy out, bullpen in. Looks like we'll be taking control of this game in short order.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:37 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Jeez, ump, Jake Peavy does not need your help.

Apparently he does. Peavy did not look so hot this afternoon, and has not this season for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:40 pm 

Hi everybody, id just like to introduce myself to you all.

I know this isnt where to post this but I couldnt find anywhere else.
I always have looked on these boards every so often but never posted.

I have mlb.tv so I will hopefully be watching most games and be on here.

Nice to meet you all!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 pm 

neworlbush25 wrote:

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome. You had me at your avatar!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:46 pm 

neworlbush25 wrote:

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:23 pm 

welcome neworlbush25....

hey. did mister Bixler whack that ball for a double..

awesome

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 pm 

Thank you all..

Its great to see Ohlendorf pitch 7+ solid, then see our lineup rough up one of the elite pitchers in the NL.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:32 pm 

ADAMBOMBS AWAY! OMFG

mr APril is here!!

guess adam checked the pirates team stats and disliked the walks and home runs..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm 

Thoughts on JR leaving in Ohlendorf? Obviously it looks awful in hindsight, but I think it was a borderline call. Ohlendorf was cruising and had thrown 94 pitches...if he throws a 15 pitch 8th inning, that's a reasonable outing.

Adam continues to be unconscious...nice to see him step up today with the lineup otherwise in shambles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:37 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
ADAMBOMBS AWAY! OMFG

mr APril is here!!

guess adam checked the pirates team stats and disliked the walks and home runs..

Seriously. This guy has been a major bust.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:39 pm 

that at least gives the bucco´s a winning month of april, due to only 3 games left, thursday off..

how about that... i like it so far...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:42 pm 

another solid win !

lets go bucs :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:56 pm 

Great game. Its nice to see when you have two teams with the same record that we can the team that turns the corner towards better things. I like how the Pirates played in game two and three but game one we didn't even deserve to have it that close. We have guarenteed ourselves a winning April even if we get swept by the Brewers which i don't think we will.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:00 pm 

A very impressive win. I was particularly impressed by the following:

• Ohlendorf made a not-so-great pitch to Gonzalez in the first, but the ball was just above the knees. Gonzalez hits a 2-run HR, and Ohlendorf is facing Peavy with the "Substitutes" behind him. Easy to try to be too perfect, or to surrender. Not even close. Pounded the strike zone down, tons of weak grounder. Ohlendorf had some command problems, but was still a good pitcher. He is a really good number 4 in the rotation, since he can go 7 innings or more, is a big guy who gets a lot of ground ball outs, and will not hurt himself by walking guys.
  • Brian Giles is not a good baseball player right now. His hit was a seeing-eye roller into right. He rolls over every pitch and hits a grounder to second. Only Vasquez' limited range gave him a hit. And his throw home on the Diaz single was lame beyond description. Adam Laroche cruised home, standing up, on the throw.
  • Bixler had a tough first AB, but two solid efforts after that. He hit the ball hard when he lined out to CF, then smoked a two-run double that blew the game open. He hit a 92 mph pitch and hit it hard.
  • Adam Laroche won this game. He worked two walks off Peavy, saw a ton of pitches, ran up Peavy's pitch count, and then simply obliterated a Peavy fastall for a 3-run HR. He also blistered his second HR. Both were absolutely hammered.
  • Grabow did a good job. Settled things down after Ohlendorf gave up the HR in the 8th, threw strikes.
  • Finally, Robinson Diaz looked just fine behind the plate. He gets very low to receive the pitch, setting up right at the knees. For a guy like Ohlendorf who relies on the 2-seam, having a guy set a low target is a plus. He received the ball very cleanly as well, even where Ohlendorf had a lot of movement on his pitches. He also had a huge hit - that hit basically turned the game around.

Really pleased, impressed and basically surprised by the victory. San Diego has some clear deficiencies, but they also have some guys who can get on base (Eckstein, Gerut) or just plain hit (Gonzalez, Headley). Also, Peavy had some command issues but was helped out by the umpire, and was dealing a darting 2-seamer at 92-94 mph. Driving him out of the game after 5 innings, and lighting him up for 5 runs, was very impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:03 pm 

They are finding ways to get it done no matter who is in the lineup. Bixler and Diaz each have 2 RBI in their first game.

Two games out of three where the home plate umpiring was absolutely terrible. I hope central command is watching these buffoons. This should not be tolerated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
They are finding ways to get it done no matter who is in the lineup. Bixler and Diaz each have 2 RBI in their first game.

Two games out of three where the home plate umpiring was absolutely terrible. I hope central command is watching these buffoons. This should not be tolerated.

The Pirates and Padres aren't drawing alot of attention because of the big series that are going on right now like the Yankees and Red Sox and the Cubs and Cardinals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:12 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Two games out of three where the home plate umpiring was absolutely terrible. I hope central command is watching these buffoons.

Were they watching when on back-to-back series against the Yankees and Red Sox that the first base umpire blew a simple call on a double play, calling the batter safe when he was clearly out? Where both calls literally cost the Pirates the game?

Have they been watching when time after time, the strike zone for Pirates hitters is noticeably larger than the strike zone for the other team?

Of course they are watching. They just don't care.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:15 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Two games out of three where the home plate umpiring was absolutely terrible. I hope central command is watching these buffoons.

Were they watching when on back-to-back series against the Yankees and Red Sox that the first base umpire blew a simple call on a double play, calling the batter safe when he was clearly out? Where both calls literally cost the Pirates the game?

Have they been watching when time after time, the strike zone for Pirates hitters is noticeably larger than the strike zone for the other team?

Of course they are watching. They just don't care.

The umps also badly blew a call in the ninth yesterday when Jacoby Ellsbury should have been called out stealing second. It wasn't even close, the ump was completely out of position, and he was called safe.

As bad as umps can be sometimes, I still am thankful that MLB does not have the officiating problems that the NBA does.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:23 pm 

No question that JR simply said that we'll give up this game and go after the Brewers. Not only the injuries but to also rest Freddie while facing Peavy looks like a game we'll all want to forget.

Makes it all the more impressive a win. They are getting scary guys. Playing like a team that believes in itself. I'm starting to think it might. The power of positive thinking may be at work here.

How about the new guys today and I'm especially pleased for and with the brothers LaRoache. For two guys who were declared dead and useless, they have been doing ok. Andy- 10 games hitting streak, Adam multiple homer game and hitting well IN APRIL.

Warm and fuzzy all over here.

And welcome Pitt man, sorry to have to tell you I'm a Mountaineer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:47 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I could also argue that Nyger was safe on his steal, and not close in that he 2nd didn't get his glove down.

Umps looked to be heading for the airplane. Give Peavy the good stuff, Ohlendorf the bad, and get out quick.

ZM