Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:32 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
Does anyone have inside info on these guys? Of last year's eight player trade haul, I've heard almost nothing about the two, aside from the fact that Morris is having injury issues. Will we see anything from either of them in the majors this year?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1328
McCutchen is 1-1 after 3 starts at AAA with 2.25 ERA. 16 IP, 9 BB, 20 SO, 1.31 WHIP
Morris has yet to pitch this season


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Charlie over at Bucs Dugout had this to say.........

Quote:
The most interesting pitchers have been Daniel McCutchen, Tom Gorzelanny and Evan Meek, but they're all walking too many batters. McCutchen has 20 strikeouts in 16 innings, but he's also allowed nine walks and three homers, and he has twice as many flyball outs as groundball outs. That won't play in the majors. He really needs to work on keeping the ball down.


http://www.bucsdugout.com/2009/4/23/850668/minor-league-roundup


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:28 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:22 pm
Posts: 7
I agree with him


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10563
McCutchen's biggest problem for the past year plus has been his propensity for giving up the HR. He has surrendered 3 in 3 starts this year (one each start), and that is a problem.

In his last start, McCutchen fanned 7 in just 5 innings. However, he went just 5 innings because he walked 4 and threw a ton of pitches.

But his stuff is swing-and-miss ... if he can get better control, and avoid the walks and HR's, he could be a very solid contributor.

A blog writer attended McCutchen's start last week, and noted that according to the radar gun he was throwing 92 mph consistently, and ratcheting up to 94-95 mph. He hit 97 mph twice.

http://www.sixtyftsixin.com/2009/04/aaa ... ville.html


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
Bucfan wrote:
McCutchen's biggest problem for the past year plus has been his propensity for giving up the HR. He has surrendered 3 in 3 starts this year (one each start), and that is a problem.

In his last start, McCutchen fanned 7 in just 5 innings. However, he went just 5 innings because he walked 4 and threw a ton of pitches.

But his stuff is swing-and-miss ... if he can get better control, and avoid the walks and HR's, he could be a very solid contributor.

A blog writer attended McCutchen's start last week, and noted that according to the radar gun he was throwing 92 mph consistently, and ratcheting up to 94-95 mph. He hit 97 mph twice.

http://www.sixtyftsixin.com/2009/04/aaa ... ville.html


It would be nice to have a starter that throws that hard...in your opinion, what's the likelihood of a pitcher with his raw stuff learning control? It's probably hard to say, but I'm just wondering how much to get my hopes up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10563
jaybee24 wrote:
It would be nice to have a starter that throws that hard...in your opinion, what's the likelihood of a pitcher with his raw stuff learning control? It's probably hard to say, but I'm just wondering how much to get my hopes up.

His walk ratio has been very low until this season. Coming into this season, in 343 innings he had walked an astoundingly low 75 batters. That works out to just 2 per 9 innings, which would place him among the league leaders in control if he did that in the majors.

So, he has solid control, and has had good control his entire career entering this season. He will revert to form and avoid walks, I suspect. However, he needs to avoid giving up the HR.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:38 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Bucfan wrote:
McCutchen's biggest problem for the past year plus has been his propensity for giving up the HR. He has surrendered 3 in 3 starts this year (one each start), and that is a problem.


What worries me most about the home runs is that they didn't just show-up out of nowhere, they showed-up once he hit AAA. I'll make the assumption that most of these dingers are courtesy of pitches up in the zone. Therefore we can hope that he'll learn to keep the ball down.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5472
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
What is McCutcheon's "second" pitch? Change, slider, curve? And can he throw it for a strike? His velocity is very good but MLB hitting will feast on even 95-97 mph fastballs if that is all he has to offer.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
No. 9 wrote:
What is McCutcheon's "second" pitch? Change, slider, curve? And can he throw it for a strike? His velocity is very good but MLB hitting will feast on even 95-97 mph fastballs if that is all he has to offer.


Curve. And yes, he can throw it for strikes. Third pitch is a change.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dan McCutchen and Bryan Morris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10563
Argentum wrote:
What worries me most about the home runs is that they didn't just show-up out of nowhere, they showed-up once he hit AAA. I'll make the assumption that most of these dingers are courtesy of pitches up in the zone. Therefore we can hope that he'll learn to keep the ball down.

True on both counts. His HR rate last year for Indy was astounding - 12 in just 48 innings. It is only because of his very low walk rate and reasonably good BA against last year that his ERA was as low as it was (4.69).


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits