Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think this prediction may be quite accurate
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 am 

Doumit will be back by the all star break, but the Pirate braintrust must realize by now, he will continually battle injuries as long as he dons the catcher's gear.

I don't recall what game it was, but i remember him taking a foul tip right off that hand/wrist, and i believe that was the original injury. He masked it pretty well, but it was only a matter of time before a certain type of odd stretch or turn of it sealed the deal, thus the normal at bat, which resulted in surgery.

If Doumit is not traded over the winter, the Pirates will use some of their outfield depth(yes, there is some), to acquire a young everyday catcher(unless JJ pans out).

Beginning in 2010, Doumit WILL HAVE TO make the switch to 1st base, this way he can play his 140 150 games, possibly, and reduce the strain and abuse his body takes, as a catcher , who does not use the greatest techniques in terms of blocking, and catching the ball(especially foul tips, seems a loose hand or wrist is always in the wrong place.
If Perry Hill is such a genius, which i have no doubt he is, Doumit, as a pretty good athlete, can successfully make this transition.
Young, quality catchers are always in demand, but sometimes a guy is just blocked in an organization. The team's braintrust just has to keep looking, and hopefully pull the trigger on the right deal in the off season.

Post subject: Re: I think this prediction may be quite accurate
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 am 

I don't see injury concerns as reason to move Doumit to another position, especially in light of the fact that most of his injuries have occurred outside of his catching duties. For instance, Doumit's latest injury occurred while engaging in an act that he would still do while playing any position on the diamond: swinging a bat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 am 

Willton wrote:
I don't see injury concerns as reason to move Doumit to another position, especially in light of the fact that most of his injuries have occurred outside of his catching duties. For instance, Doumit's latest injury occurred while engaging in an act that he would still do while playing any position on the diamond: swinging a bat.

I totally disagree about how the injury occured. Like i mentioned there was a game previously where a foul ball caused him pain but he played through it. I think the swing was the straw that broke the camels back.
If it wasn't that swing, it would have been another that had the same result.
He will be the opening day 1st baseman next year, providing the team has found an adequate replacement via trade or free agency.
I am not ruling out Doumit being dealt, but that is more unreal istic than a new full time back stop.

Didn't Hinske ever catch for Toronto?. I slighly recall him catching once in a while back in 2004 , maybe i am mistaken, or wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:03 am 

palushock wrote:
Willton wrote:

I totally disagree about how the injury occured. Like i mentioned there was a game previously where a foul ball caused him pain but he played through it. I think the swing was the straw that broke the camels back.
If it wasn't that swing, it would have been another that had the same result.
He will be the opening day 1st baseman next year, providing the team has found an adequate replacement via trade or free agency.
I am not ruling out Doumit being dealt, but that is more unreal istic than a new full time back stop.

Didn't Hinske ever catch for Toronto?. I slighly recall him catching once in a while back in 2004 , maybe i am mistaken, or wishful thinking.

I don't think he ever played catcher. I onlyremember him playing 3rd base, 1st base, right field, and left field, along with DH.
But i do have to tend to agree that there had to be something happen to Doumit before this swing that cost him half the season. The hardest swinger in the game would have a really hard time breaking his wrist swinging unless he bat was too heavy for him. They took away the maple and now look what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:47 am 

Just thinking philosophically, isn't it possible that the possibility of Doumit being switched to first base is blocked by the possibility of Alvarez being switched to first? Or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 pm 

So, a first year rookie in high A ball is blocking a vetern catcher whose been major leaguer for three years and a starter two? Hard to digest that one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:09 pm 

Dejan mentioned the emergency catchers are Young and Karstens...

Doumit got hurt in the outfield, he's got hurt running the bases, and swinging the bat...

It doesnt matter where he plays he's going to get hurt...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Dejan mentioned the emergency catchers are Young and Karstens...

Doumit got hurt in the outfield, he's got hurt running the bases, and swinging the bat...

It doesnt matter where he plays he's going to get hurt...

I agree. The best thing to do with Doumit is play him where he's most valuable and hope for the best. Right now, he's most valuable as a catcher.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:35 pm 

Substitute2

Year, I forgot that Littlefield isn't here anymore and we don't think like that anymore. However, it does seem like everyone who has a problem - fielding, injuries, whatever - gets mention as a candidate for first base. And I was trying to make a joke about doing that. OK?