Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Move the Bucs to Boston?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm 

I was headed back to work after dinner and I caught part of the Brian Kenney (yes, it seems EVERY SportsCenter anchor is going to get a show) Show on ESPN Radio. The topic tonight, Why do Pittsburgh, KC, Oakland, and Miami still have teams given their crappy attendance? I kid you not.

BK seemed to be agitating that one or two of the cities above should lose their franchise to Boston, St Lou, or another city where the market for baseball was stronger. I guess ESPN doesn't get hockey scores anymore.

Post subject: Re: Move the Bucs to Boston?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:28 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
I was headed back to work after dinner and I caught part of the Brian Kenney (yes, it seems EVERY SportsCenter anchor is going to get a show) Show on ESPN Radio. The topic tonight, Why do Pittsburgh, KC, Oakland, and Miami still have teams given their crappy attendance? I kid you not.

BK seemed to be agitating that one or two of the cities above should lose their franchise to Boston, St Lou, or another city where the market for baseball was stronger. I guess ESPN doesn't get hockey scores anymore.

Oakland is the only one that i think could ever make a move but i don't think it will be very far if they do. The Pirates and Royals have been perennial bottomfeeder and that doesn't bring in alot of fans, and i just don't think the Marlins will ever move.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:34 pm 

My question is where do these teams go? Does Boston have the resources to build another ballpark? Would the Red Sox put up with another ballclub having a shiny new stadium? We know Pa would be hard pressed to find another $350-$500 for another Philly ballpark. Portland is now out of the running for MLB because they're converting PGE Park in to a soccer specific stadium for the pro soccer team that's going there.

And then we run in to the question of drawing power. Philly never really supported two ballclubs and neither did St Lou. NYC had three (Giants, Yanks, and Dodgers) but that was when baseball was the undisputed king of sports.

I just thought it was a dumb argument. If KC and the Bucs start winning, fans in those cities will come out to watch. Miami is getting a new yard. But like you said, the As could continue their nomadic tradition sometime in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 pm 

I think the A's will either move to Las Vegas or Sacramento.
I say move them to Las Vegas and name the stadium Pete Rose Park. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 pm 

ESPN radio is just beating the topic this week to generate anger and listener response ... i.e., ratings. Monday morning, Colin Cowherd was banging the same drum. He stated that in 2001, the league owners took a vote, and the result was 28-2 in favor of contraction.

He identified Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Toronto as cities whose teams should be eliminated.

Cowherd is from Seattle, and believes that the city is a great sports town. However, the city already lost a baseball team after just one season, and has had years of terrible teams and terrible attendance. Of course, he does not identify Seattle as a city whose team should be disbanded.

But he does suggest that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati should lose their baseball teams ... the two oldest professional sports franchises in America, and the two oldest baseball franchises still in existence.

Colin Cowherd and his ilk are beneath contempt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:21 pm 

The idea of Boston adopting another team is crazy and the owners would never invite that competition. I have noticed ESPN pushing radio a lot lately, so I think that's what this is about. In Boston the ESPN affiliate goes off after dark and is the lowest rated station in the city. It's a pathetic product.

On the other hand, I do hope Pitt fans come out soon. It was sad watching them on TV w/ no fans. I went to 3 games in Pitt last year and am coming for at least 2 in June. Pittsburgh is a better city w/ the Pirates and baseball needs historic franchises to remain viable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
ESPN radio is just beating the topic this week to generate anger and listener response ... i.e., ratings. Monday morning, Colin Cowherd was banging the same drum. He stated that in 2001, the league owners took a vote, and the result was 28-2 in favor of contraction.

He identified Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Toronto as cities whose teams should be eliminated.

Cowherd is from Seattle, and believes that the city is a great sports town. However, the city already lost a baseball team after just one season, and has had years of terrible teams and terrible attendance. Of course, he does not identify Seattle as a city whose team should be disbanded.

But he does suggest that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati should lose their baseball teams ... the two oldest professional sports franchises in America, and the two oldest baseball franchises still in existence.

That's basically Cowherd's schtick, generating anger and listener response to draw ratings. He's gone as far as admitting that fact several times on the air. He says his job is to get listeners involved.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
On the other hand, I do hope Pitt fans come out soon. It was sad watching them on TV w/ no fans. I went to 3 games in Pitt last year and am coming for at least 2 in June. Pittsburgh is a better city w/ the Pirates and baseball needs historic franchises to remain viable.

Exactly. But as the Pens have shown, put a quality team on the field, and the fans will come.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:29 pm 

Thunder wrote:
That's basically Cowherd's schtick, generating anger and listener response to draw ratings. He's gone as far as admitting that fact several times on the air. He says his job is to get listeners involved.

You are correct and I am aware of this fact. I listen to Cowherd a couple of times per week.

If he goes too far, I will sometimes e-mail him. When he suggested that the Pirates and Reds should be disbanded, I sent him an e-mail, saying, "Disband the Seattle Pilots II. Their fan base has some of the stupidest people on the planet."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:30 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Well there we have finally found a Colin that i am better than!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:38 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Cowherd does suck. You can tell that he is actually an intelligent guy, but (much like Mark Madden did/does) he just pisses people off to get a reaction.

Regarding Seattle...the worst fair weather fans around. Their attendance is up this year, but only because of Griffey. Once they realize that he is a shell of the "Junior" that they all love in their memories they will stop showing up.

The Seahawk fans are probably the worst. The last time the Steelers played in Seattle (2003...just a couple years before the Seachickens first SB appearance) there were less than 15,000 Seahawk fans at the game. I walked from tailgate party to tailgate party...all ran by Steeler fans. When the Steelers took the field, nearly 40,000 terrible towels were waving. I realize that there are always a heavy dose of black and gold at any football game they are at, but this was ridiculous.

Finally, there was a 'fan' rally to try to sway the owners of the former Supersonics to stay in Seattle. The major sports radio stations and local news TV shows were promoting this. Only to have 80 people show up! Great rally!! Losers...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:40 pm 

Remember that Cowherd hates the Steelers too and has gone as far as to say he'd break in to Heinz Field and steal the Lombardi from XL and give it to Seattle himself. Of course Cowherd has been outed as both a liar (about graduating college) and a thief (he stole an entire article from a Michigan blog), so I have a really hard time taking anything he says with any amount of seriousness.

I still maintain that unless you're a hardcore college football fan, ESPN is pretty much useless.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:46 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Remember that Cowherd hates the Steelers too and has gone as far as to say he'd break in to Heinz Field and steal the Lombardi from XL and give it to Seattle himself. Of course Cowherd has been outed as both a liar (about graduating college) and a thief (he stole an entire article from a Michigan blog), so I have a really hard time taking anything he says with any amount of seriousness.

All of which is absolutely true. I could not listen to him for 6 months after Super Bowl XL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:48 pm 

As the board's resident medical expert, I must warn everyone that talk radio is bad for one's health. Clinical studies have demonstrated that it raises blood pressure and lowers intelligence*, and everyone would be better off not tuning in.

*Some parts of this post are completely made up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:49 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Regarding Seattle...the worst fair weather fans around. Their attendance is up this year, but only because of Griffey. Once they realize that he is a shell of the "Junior" that they all love in their memories they will stop showing up.

Finally, there was a 'fan' rally to try to sway the owners of the former Supersonics to stay in Seattle. The major sports radio stations and local news TV shows were promoting this. Only to have 80 people show up! Great rally!! Losers...

You are totally correct about Seattle. I used to live there (I've lived all over) and it's the worst sports town in America. The main reason I think is that no one is from there originally. People did go the Mariners games at that time but they don't care even when they are at the game, they eat Sushi and drink wine. It's a great stadium though just like PNC is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 am 

Safeco Field is great, but PNC wins because of the city view. My favorite seats in PNC Park are the 300 level behind home plate. Breathtaking views! While Safeco's really nice inside...it just doesn't have the 'Wow' factor. BUT...last May, the wife and I went to Safeco for a weekend series and stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn...literally across the street from the park. Great weekend!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:23 am 

I prefer Dan Patrick. He doesn't take himself too seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:57 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Did you ever hear the story of why he left ESPN?

This was during the time when Mike Golic, Chris Berman, and a few other ESPN types were doing commercials for NutriSystem. One day, Dan got called in to a meeting with the NutriSystem guys and some of their spokespeople and was asked to do the commercials. Well Dan is a pretty slender guy, and said as much to the people in that meeting. They then asked him to gain 40 lbs so he could lose it. Dan quit that day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:01 am 

Jeremy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Did you ever hear the story of why he left ESPN?

This was during the time when Mike Golic, Chris Berman, and a few other ESPN types were doing commercials for NutriSystem. One day, Dan got called in to a meeting with the NutriSystem guys and some of their spokespeople and was asked to do the commercials. Well Dan is a pretty slender guy, and said as much to the people in that meeting. They then asked him to gain 40 lbs so he could lose it. Dan quit that day.

Haha thats funny. Everytime i think of NutriSystem i think of Mike Golic yelling POT ROAST!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:35 am 

Thank God the guy is just having a hypothetical conversation. In other words, he's playing with his chooch.

Weeknight games in April in Pittsburgh simply do not draw. The weather has been bad, and most local sports fans are watching the Pens.

Give it time. If the team keeps winning, they will fill the seats.

The Steelers, the Penquins, and the Pitt Panthers basketball team have sold every single ticket for years.