Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SWEEP!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:34 pm 

WOW! So many in here were calling this series to be all gloom and doom. How 'bout them Bucs sweeping the hottest team in baseball? Good effort from everyone.

Go Bucs!

Post subject: Re: SWEEP!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 pm 

Pirates played well. Ohlendorf and Karstens did their job, and the bats did the work today. Maholm was money the first two innings, but even though he got through the third unscathed with 2 K's, I could see he was not his usual self. He went to a 3-ball count on all batters that inning.

He was leaving pitches over the plate when he was ahead in the count and deserved to be charged with the 4 he gave up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:46 pm 

And another thing - the Pirates defense is better than I have seen since, well, a long time. They make all the plays they should, turn 2 when given the chance, and have an occasional great play. In particular, the defense on the left side of the infield is not in the same zip code as the Ty Wigginton/Joe Randa II defenses of years past.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm 

If Chicago and St. Louis lose tonight, we'll wake up tomorrow in first place! Would be a nice feeling and a well deserved reward for playing good ball.

Edited to add enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited by Argentum on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:54 pm 

Well done Buccos! Wow, three games over .500

It's sure nice to see this kind of a start. I hope they keep it going. There is a lot to like about this team including the coaches and manager.

Go Bucs! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:58 pm 

Oh.....and how about Nyjer Morgan? He's doing great so far. Good for him!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:00 pm 

Argentum wrote:
If Chicago and St. Louis lose tonight, we'll wake up tomorrow in first place! Would be a nice feeling and a well deserved reward for playing good ball.

I agree Silver. That would be great to see!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:00 pm 

I enjoy the fine play and the sweep, but I know that the Pirates are really going to have to play perfect baseball to keep winning. Losing a big part of their offense for 8-10 weeks is really too bad.

But I am looking at it this way: If the Pirates are within 10 games of .500 by July, then they are going to be tough to beat the second half when they add two major offensive weapons - Doumit and McCutchen.

By the way, Cutch is hitting .313/.377/.655 at Indy. He has 4 2B's, 4 3B's and 1 HR. He has walked 5 times and fanned 5 times. Really good start for Cutch - the guy can freaking hit.

Adding two big-time bats to the team will make them a pretty good squad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I know the Marlins were 11-1 when they came into this series. 6 of their wins were against the Nationals. Are they (the Marlins) really that good of a team? Or was their record just inflated because they were playing a bad team?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:41 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
I know the Marlins were 11-1 when they came into this series. 6 of their wins were against the Nationals. Are they (the Marlins) really that good of a team? Or was their record just inflated because they were playing a bad team?

You play who is on the schedule. Good teams beat up on bad teams. Coming into the series with the Pirates, the Astros had one win, and featured a "seniors tour" starting rotation. The Pirates lost 2 of 3.

I wish they had swept, so people could wonder if they were actually good or if they just benefitted from playing bad teams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:47 pm 

So even if they resort back to last year's .414 winning percentage, they have already locked-up 70 wins. Yeah, I know, bfd............but it's an improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:

No team is ever going to have a .900 winning percentage, but the Marlins are formidable. We aren't going to sweep them when we play them again later in the season, but it's nice that we did so this time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

This good start may be early, but I am telling you the positive talk of the Buccos is starting up throughout the city. This city is begging to have a competitive team on the field...every year we stagger around .500 PNC Park starts filling up. If they keep playing like they played against the Marlins and the Braves, we have something to be excited about. Just think what the park atmosphere would be like in a pennant race in the fall. Let's go Bucs!

http://www.worldwidepittsburgh.com/page/signup.cfm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:45 pm 

We haven't lost the first game of any series this season so if we keep that up against the Padres we will make it 4 straight, and 10-6 sounds pretty good.
The Padres lost 1-0 to the Giants today and i'm not sure if they got swept of if they just lost 2 out of 3 but things are looking up for the Bucs right now.

Also a side note. BARRY ZITO PITCHED GOO GOO GOO GOOD
i almost couldn't even say it/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 am 

The Marlins are good considering that they have the lowest payroll in the majors. But otherwise they are mediocre. I could see them staying above .500, but not by a lot.

That goes for the Padres too. They are off to a hot start but I don't see it lasting.

Which makes you wonder about the Pirates. Are we actually good, or just off to a good start? More than anything, that depends on those 5 guys who toe the rubber in the first inning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:12 pm 

Not so sure the no trade Bay, and Nady crowd has much to say at this early point in the season. And several of those guys are in the minors.