Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yesterday afternoon..............................
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:09 pm 

At No. 1's game yesterday a gentleman came up and started talking to the dad of the 2B who I usually sit with. He pulled out a notepad but was not in the usual scout garb. The other dad introduced me to him and we chatted throughout the game. About the 5th inning another guy came over to talk to the other dad and I aske dhim who he scouted for. He told me he didn't work for a team any longer but for himself as he was now an agent who had started his own agency and merged with a bigger agency here in town. Turns out he was a scouting director for a couple of major league teams. He is the agent for Rudy Owens, Bucs lefty at West Virginia. You don't know how much fun it was to pick his brain about players and teams. He was a very down to earth guy who you could talk to like you knew him forever. He also gave me his card. No. 1 was pitching. He had a good outing going into the 4th. After 3 shutout innings, he walked the leadoff guy gave up two hits to load the bases and the coach came out with a quick hook and that was it. Same reliever as last time. Wild pitch, single, 3 runs in. He didn't think the coach should have taken him out either. Oh well. He thought he should have at least been allowed two more hitters. Team won 5-3 over No. 11 Scottsdale CC. If they win today they clinch the conference championship and get home turf for all the playoffs which satrt next week. Ah the ups and downs of baseball. The agent spoke at great length about players and their ability to deal with these ups and downs and how it effects their careers. Great day in that regard. I felt bad for NO. 1 though. Father's lament.
Sorry this is so long. I am keeping the agent's identity to myself so as to not burn a bridge. He had some good things to say aobut the Pirates. He like FC and NH and thinks they are on the right path. However he said 3-5 plans are great if they are the right plan.

Post subject: Re: Yesterday afternoon..............................
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:14 pm 

Very cool...Thats a good thing having guys like him coming to look at the team...Too bad for No. 1 not going longer but I'm sure the coach is doing it in hopes of winning a championship and to save his arm some in the playoffs...Great news for a young team

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 pm 

I think the coaches confidence in him is waning due to the walks. They will only need 3 starters for the playoffs so I am trying to prep him for being ready for anything at this point. Ya gotta throw strikes. NO. 1 thinks the problem is in his arm slot. They were videoing for one of the few times, Maybe that will help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 pm 

Three good innings = the good news. Pretty quick hook. Seems like the coach is not going to give No. 1 much time to find it during a game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm 

Nope