Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1334
Jeremy wrote:
Productive out for Andy.

Like the fact that he's hitting the opposite field in those situations. Second time he's done this recently. Both times with Bro on 2nd base.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Adam is playing like he wants to STAY in Pittsburgh. I hope the FO is noticing.


Unfortunately, he is playing his way right out of our budget.



Adam has said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. One of the big factors why is because his family loves in here and his little brother is on the roster. I honestly don't think Adam would want to break the bank. Why not throw a number out there and see what happens? He might be cheaper than we think.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
IA Pirate wrote:
Up to the bullpen now for the last two innings. Hold on guys...


Here's to Grabow giving my ticker a break this time around!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
burghermeister wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Productive out for Andy.

Like the fact that he's hitting the opposite field in those situations. Second time he's done this recently. Both times with Bro on 2nd base.



Pitchers pitching inside, hitters going to opposite field, runners taking the extra base.

It's almost like there's someone coaching them.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Anyone watching on TV? Sounds like Grabow got caught loafing on the Ramirez infield hit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1334
Argentum wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
Up to the bullpen now for the last two innings. Hold on guys...


Here's to Grabow giving my ticker a break this time around!

Yeah. Very happy to have that seventh run. Hopefully, they won't need it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Jeremy wrote:
BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Adam is playing like he wants to STAY in Pittsburgh. I hope the FO is noticing.


Unfortunately, he is playing his way right out of our budget.



Adam has said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. One of the big factors why is because his family loves in here and his little brother is on the roster. I honestly don't think Adam would want to break the bank. Why not throw a number out there and see what happens? He might be cheaper than we think.


Jeremy, I don't disagree with you. In fact, I argued quite heavily for a 2 year extension this year, because if he has the break out season, you have him for one more year, and if he just has another typical year, a reasonable contract would increase his trade value. But from what Kovacevic has reported in the past, the two sides are pretty far apart on his value, so I doubt we see him signed.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Grabow strikes out the side! Things looking good...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
OK - So Capps will have the 7, 8, and 9 hitters. That's what we want.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1334
Argentum wrote:
Anyone watching on TV? Sounds like Grabow got caught loafing on the Ramirez infield hit.

If so, what doesn't kill him makes him stronger. He comes back a strikes out the side.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:12 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Argentum wrote:
Anyone watching on TV? Sounds like Grabow got caught loafing on the Ramirez infield hit.

I don't think so. He broke early and ran hard. The problem was than Adam was so deep and so far off the bag that it took forever for the ball to get to him.

Ramirez hustled and beat the throw by 1/2 step. The ball was not hit hard at all. Grabow then threw both change and slider for strikes and whiffed the next three.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:14 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
And P.S. If Andy does not move brother up a base, then Adam does not score on the Wilson single. Wilson hit a laser into CF that reached the fielder very quickly. Adam is not going to beat a throw home ...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:15 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Bucfan wrote:
Argentum wrote:
Anyone watching on TV? Sounds like Grabow got caught loafing on the Ramirez infield hit.

I don't think so. He broke early and ran hard. The problem was than Adam was so deep and so far off the bag that it took forever for the ball to get to him.

Ramirez hustled and beat the throw by 1/2 step. The ball was not hit hard at all. Grabow then threw both change and slider for strikes and whiffed the next three.


Thanks.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:20 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Nyjer Morgan has a skill set and he is doing a very good job of taking advantage of what he does well.

He hits the ball the other way, runs, steals bases, takes an extra base. He has done all of this today. He drove in Delwyn Young - who smoked a pinch hit double into left-center - and when he saw that the throw was way over the cut-off man, he went into second base. He then ran, stole third, and scored when Paulino short-hopped the throw into very shallow left field.

That half inning turned the game back in the Pirates' favor.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:33 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Image

Image

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:35 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Capps closes it out by pounding the inside corner against the left-handed hitters. He was throwing strike after strike right on the black on the inside corner to Gload and Bonofacio, and induced two lazy fly balls to left-center against those guys.

Capps was not throwing as hard as yesterday. Going back-to-back appears to reduce the velocity a bit, but his command of the slider, change (threw just one but it was a beauty), and fastball on the inner half were impressive.

Great sweep against a team that came in smoking hot.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:38 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Image
Image

You guys made me do it ...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:44 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Bucfan wrote:
Nyjer Morgan has a skill set and he is doing a very good job of taking advantage of what he does well.

He hits the ball the other way, runs, steals bases, takes an extra base. He has done all of this today. He drove in Delwyn Young - who smoked a pinch hit double into left-center - and when he saw that the throw was way over the cut-off man, he went into second base. He then ran, stole third, and scored when Paulino short-hopped the throw into very shallow left field.

That half inning turned the game back in the Pirates' favor.


I tip my hat to Nyjer. I've been a big detractor of his, and I still think his current pace is not going to continue, but damn, you're right, he's doing a great job off playing off of his strengths.

Prove me wrong Mr. Morgan!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:51 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Argentum wrote:
I tip my hat to Nyjer. I've been a big detractor of his, and I still think his current pace is not going to continue, but damn, you're right, he's doing a great job off playing off of his strengths.

Prove me wrong Mr. Morgan!

You are correct, and I also presume that he does not continue to hit .320. However, he is a patient hitter and has drawn a walk two games in a row.

If he hits .280 and walks on 10% of his plate appearances, he will have an OBP around .350. That is a realistic projection for his offense.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bucfan, Google [Bot], IA Pirate and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits