Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 22, 2009 Marlins (11-3) at Pirates (8-6)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:15 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You are right in that Nyger will never be McClouth-like at the plate regarding walks. He's too aggressive for that.

However, he IS making pitchers throw him pitches he can hit, and laying off the bad stuff. No. 9 and I watched him take a couple balls in a couple AB's yesterday that he may not have before, and pitches that were eminantly "swingable" if one was not a wee bit patient.

He continues to play as he did since last year.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:51 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
You are right in that Nyger will never be McClouth-like at the plate regarding walks. He's too aggressive for that.

However, he IS making pitchers throw him pitches he can hit, and laying off the bad stuff. No. 9 and I watched him take a couple balls in a couple AB's yesterday that he may not have before, and pitches that were eminantly "swingable" if one was not a wee bit patient.

He continues to play as he did since last year.

ZM

Nyjer is definitely showing more patience at the plate lately than he demonstrated last year. As Bucfan points out, he is playing the offensive game to his strengths right now. His first AB was "classic Nyjer;" he just reached out on an outside pitch and poked the ball into right field. Didn't try to overpower it; just went with what the pitcher gave him.

If my memory is correct, Russell took a fair amount of heat for his comments about what Morgan brings to the team if he is playing well (the excitement; the energy; wreaking havoc on the basepaths). Although we've seen just short of 10% of this season and there is a lot of baseball to be played, I think that we have seen the snapshot of what Russell was talking about. He has gotten on base consistently; flustered pitchers; run the bases well and helped the Bucs manufacture much needed runs. Again, as Bucfan noted earlier, Nyjer drove in the go-ahead run right after the Fish tied the game with a big hit and then used his legs to manufacture another key run. Had to be awfully deflating to the Fish. Awfully deflating.

Again, I'm not saying that Nyjer will play this way all year. But, thus far, he's been fun to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:07 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Again, as Bucfan noted earlier, Nyjer drove in the go-ahead run right after the Fish tied the game with a big hit and then used his legs to manufacture another key run. Had to be awfully deflating to the Fish. Awfully deflating.

After Morgan stole third and scored on the Paulino error, Nolasco was walking around the mound with a very "pissed off" look. The fish did not do much the rest of the game ... they were done.

Additionally, as we have discussed for years, teams have 2 of their 3 or 4 best pitchers to pitch the 8th and 9th in tie games or games where they are ahead. If the Buccos do not score in the bottom of the 6th, the fish bring out their "A" team relievers to pitch the 7th and 8th. The game is much more in doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:34 pm 

A point that is 100% accurate but not evident in any box score or statistical category.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Anyone still looking to trade out Meek for Chavez?

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Jessie getting some love from Russell today, brought in to pitch the top of the 7th in a 6-4 game. He was pretty pumped up and threw ball 1 to both hitters he faced, but he throws hard enough that he can throw a fastball 1-0 or 2-0 and have the hitter swing and miss.

He did the job today, and I am growing to like him. He can pump the gas, but threw a change on Monday and another one today that were nasty. Downward movement, at 86 mph. Nice change-up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:12 pm 

Sorry guys I'm not buying the Morgan's a hero stuff.

The argument that they would have brought out their A relievers is a real stretch. This is the Marlins who have made a living this year by coming from behind in late innings. Ask Atlanta. Do you suppose that they used their B relievers when behind in those games?

Morgan is not enen close to Nate, Freddy or even most other starters. He is fast and for that reason, I hope he continues to play well. I just don't believe he will. First problem is his by his age, even with a hockey start, he should have been developed several years ago. Last September and this first half of April have been good times for him. Talk about your small samples.

I can believe in almost everyone else but not that Morgan can come close to maintaining this pace. He he comes close to this for half the season I will be very surprised.

But no I won't bet $50.00 on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:27 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
The argument that they would have brought out their A relievers is a real stretch. This is the Marlins who have made a living this year by coming from behind in late innings. Ask Atlanta. Do you suppose that they used their B relievers when behind in those games?

I must have missed when Lindstrom came in to pitch against the Buccos.

How did he do?

The Pirates did see Logan Kensing and Dan Meyer this series. They see neither in the late innings, when they made their appearances, if the Marlins are leading or the game is tied.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:49 pm 

I just don't believe that teams like the come back Marlins give up on a game with three innings to go and down three runs. If they do, they should fire their coachnig staff now.

No, they were trying to win the game and not trying to weaken their chances.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:08 pm 

TheShark wrote:

I think I heard them say, "They're still shitty." :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:36 pm 

Well i'm glad to be eating my word about how this series was the end of a good run for the Pirates. I missed today's game also because i had another convention to go to but it looks pretty good from the stats. Adam LaRoche lit it up but Maholm didn't look to be as good as he was in his other starts but it will be nice for him to get 6 days rest this time through the rotation since we have an off day tomorrow.
9-6 sounds pretty good right now for where i thought we would be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:21 pm 

Nobody thought Skip Schumaker would stick with the Cards either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

I'm about the change my name from Capps Crew to Chavez's Crew :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I just don't believe that teams like the come back Marlins give up on a game with three innings to go and down three runs. If they do, they should fire their coachnig staff now.

Pirates bring in Chavez, Burnett, and Hansen when the game is close but they are trailing.

They bring in Grabow and Capps when they are leading or the game is tied.

They are certainly not "giving up" in the first instance. It is just an unfortunate truth that relief pitchers cannot pitch in every game. So, that leaves the question, "When do we use the grade 'B' relievers?" The answer - when trailing. If the team rallies, then great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:53 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Pirates bring in Chavez, Burnett, and Hansen when the game is close but they are trailing.

They bring in Grabow and Capps when they are leading or the game is tied.

They are certainly not "giving up" in the first instance. It is just an unfortunate truth that relief pitchers cannot pitch in every game. So, that leaves the question, "When do we use the grade 'B' relievers?" The answer - when trailing. If the team rallies, then great.

The team's best relievers should be used in high-leverage situations, where the performance of the pitcher has the most effect on the outcome of the game. When the team is trailing, the pitching has less impact on the outcome of the game, as no amount of pitching will cause the team to lead again. This is especially true in later innings. As such, it is wise to not tax the arms of the team's best relievers by having them pitch in situations where they would have less impact on the outcome of the game. Think of it as economic management of the team's pitching resources.