Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doumit Out
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No. 9 just called and asked for Russell's phone number. He's on his way to Dick's for some quick equipment upgrade.

Losing Doumit sucks, but shame on the Bucs if they thought Doumit would stay healthy for a whole year. But, maybe that is why NH went and got both Diaz and Jaramillo.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:03 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
So we're basically talking about him being out until the All Star break right? Yeah, that sucks but it's not an ACL or something that's going to cost him an entire season.

No but it will probably cost him his pop in his bat when he comes back...

You never bet on a catcher being productive long term.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:42 pm 

well, we were doing well. What a blow. In time others will have to step up. My guess is tonight, we're in serious trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:46 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
well, we were doing well. What a blow. In time others will have to step up. My guess is tonight, we're in serious trouble.

I'm going to choose to believe the club rallies around Doumit and puts up a big night with The Brothers LaRoche each getting two hits and driving in key runs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:08 pm 

I can't have faith in Karsten and Anibal Sanchez has looked good so far with his 1.64 ERA.
I don't see this being a good night for the Buccos.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:16 pm 

As much as I have always liked Doumit (Injury Prone=middle name), the Pirates better start looking for another catcher. This guy is not going to last.

And.......am I missing something but didn't they say he did this swinging at a pitch???????? :shock:

If he broke his wrist swinging at a pitch, Doumit needs to begin a new career. :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:22 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
As much as I have always liked Doumit (Injury Prone=middle name), the Pirates better start looking for another catcher. This guy is not going to last.

And.......am I missing something but didn't they say he did this swinging at a pitch???????? :shock:

If he broke his wrist swinging at a pitch, Doumit needs to begin a new career. :?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he needs some Centrum Silver or something to strenghten his bones.
I could see if he got hit by a pitch or even if it happened catching but swing a bat, the worst i could ever this could happen wrist wise is a dislocation, not a break.
It just boggles my mind.

Post subject: BIGGEST LOSS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:18 pm 

I hope Jaramillo and Diaz can do the job. Doumit is probably the biggest loss this team could have. Every other position has somebody that could step in.

Post subject: Re: BIGGEST LOSS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:45 pm 

Animal wrote:
I hope Jaramillo and Diaz can do the job. Doumit is probably the biggest loss this team could have. Every other position has somebody that could step in.

I dunno ... the middle infield backup is downright scary.

Post subject: Re: BIGGEST LOSS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Animal wrote:

I dunno ... the middle infield backup is downright scary.

Freddy would be a bigger loss at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he needs some Centrum Silver or something to strenghten his bones.
I could see if he got hit by a pitch or even if it happened catching but swing a bat, the worst i could ever this could happen wrist wise is a dislocation, not a break.
It just boggles my mind.

These things happen. He did something funny in his swing and now people proclaim he neeeds a new career because he has an injury. Tweaks happen all the time when people swing and this is just a freak injury.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:14 am 

Ryann wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

It just boggles my mind.

I understand if it was a tweak or a muscle injury or tear but i just don't understand how you break a bone doing that.

These things happen. He did something funny in his swing and now people proclaim he neeeds a new career because he has an injury. Tweaks happen all the time when people swing and this is just a freak injury.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

He certainly has a lot of freak injuries.

Talking this over tonight, I suspect he injured, or partially injuried the area at some point so that a weaker bone separated on his swing. He does have a very hard swing.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:35 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
He certainly has a lot of freak injuries.

Talking this over tonight, I suspect he injured, or partially injuried the area at some point so that a weaker bone separated on his swing. He does have a very hard swing.

ZM

Makes sense ZM. But that does nothing to take away from the idea of him being injury prone. Hard swing means greater chances for something in the upper body, arms, and hands to go wrong. Just like sliding head first means greater potential for injury to the shoulder and hands.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:53 am 

Quote:
Just like sliding head first means greater potential for injury to the shoulder and hands.

There is a big one you are leaving out there and thats the neck and head area.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:32 am 

sad new fortunately la roche brothers seems ready to lowered this new's impact .

eventually jaramillo do the job im not very concerned for the next 8 weeks

go bucs !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 am 

According to DK's latest entry at PBC Blog, Doumit will rehab with the team in Pittsburgh. While I don't put much stock into character/chemistry arguments, this is a good decision by both Doumit and management.

And btw, how pathetic is this pic in the PPG?
I don't care if the Pens are playing and the weather's iffy — that's a fookin' embarrassment.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am 

It's actually quite common for people to be injured swinging a bat. I remember a few years back when David Justice completely blew up his shoulder on a swing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:49 am 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
According to DK's latest entry at PBC Blog, Doumit will rehab with the team in Pittsburgh. While I don't put much stock into character/chemistry arguments, this is a good decision by both Doumit and management.

I don't care if the Pens are playing and the weather's iffy — that's a fookin' embarrassment.

Love the foreground; hate the background.

But, I confess, I was watching the Pens with an occasional glance at the mlb.com gamecast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:18 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

Actually, no. It's a close up shot of that portion of the park held primarily for visiting tickets. I had a season tix package in that section (had to specifically ask) a few years ago. Found myself surrounded by the visiting team fans from out of town all the time.

Its the last part of the park (in that level) to fill up.

So, you can beotch about how lame the Marlins fans are for not following their team up here in the cold.

ZM